Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Crash...now lens titled and won't respond

critfocus

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Wondering if anyone can help or has experienced this before. Got my Evo recently.
Was shooting some stuff this AM, and by accident backed into a tree branch about 8 to 10 feet off the ground, my Evo went to the ground, mostly on it's back.
Got it back up, turned it off, checked it out, restarted after making sure there wasn't any major damage, and everything seems to work right, except the lens is tilted and won't return to horizontal. Gimbal will still go through it's normal calibration when I start it up, but the lens still tilts. Spoke to Autel support and they said to do a gimbal calibration in the app. The only thing is that I hit the small start button, and then nothing happens when I hit the start button no matter how many times I hit it. Like it will never activate. It's not like the app starts but the lens doesn't do anything, Just hitting start doesn't seem to do anything. Changing the angle of the lens doesn't work either, but don't know if you can't do that till its off the ground. Still get image from the camera to the app and can record, etc.

y4mFZZ_9z72g4s2GgMdRejV6w-WYwSYTW1GFt0gaHltu5mbvnFzpV7zM4c3Ua6I9Qcadw5DTJ4fjJSveVpWh2njvygM_bPj-QakFm5m7529sszKovA34xD0UHmtJFuHYQANtrAFefZuy93GFvhSpFO9nq3fqi2zcb1Vlh9BPyu07LpLzgyfCvQiIP8kDtL3A5pMYVwhzh0bc0gMFmIO_5VbXw

That's what the lens looks likes - Here is a video where is just stays that way the whole time.

Gimbal Video

Feel free to ignore my wife talking about how someone is trying to steal our cat. ;-)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: butch and Tufargon
To me it seems that the yaw motor broke in the fall. Are you able to adjust the gimbal manually?
Screenshot_20200526-203539.png

Tell your wife to stay all night in the front lawn, watching the neighbor, so he doesn't steal your cat!

Hey Everyone,

Wondering if anyone can help or has experienced this before. Got my Evo recently.
Was shooting some stuff this AM, and by accident backed into a tree branch about 8 to 10 feet off the ground, my Evo went to the ground, mostly on it's back.
Got it back up, turned it off, checked it out, restarted after making sure there wasn't any major damage, and everything seems to work right, except the lens is tilted and won't return to horizontal. Gimbal will still go through it's normal calibration when I start it up, but the lens still tilts. Spoke to Autel support and they said to do a gimbal calibration in the app. The only thing is that I hit the small start button, and then nothing happens when I hit the start button no matter how many times I hit it. Like it will never activate. It's not like the app starts but the lens doesn't do anything, Just hitting start doesn't seem to do anything. Changing the angle of the lens doesn't work either, but don't know if you can't do that till its off the ground. Still get image from the camera to the app and can record, etc.

y4mFZZ_9z72g4s2GgMdRejV6w-WYwSYTW1GFt0gaHltu5mbvnFzpV7zM4c3Ua6I9Qcadw5DTJ4fjJSveVpWh2njvygM_bPj-QakFm5m7529sszKovA34xD0UHmtJFuHYQANtrAFefZuy93GFvhSpFO9nq3fqi2zcb1Vlh9BPyu07LpLzgyfCvQiIP8kDtL3A5pMYVwhzh0bc0gMFmIO_5VbXw

That's what the lens looks likes - Here is a video where is just stays that way the whole time.

Gimbal Video

Feel free to ignore my wife talking about how someone is trying to steal our cat. ;-)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Crashed mine once and that happened. Sent it to Autel and they replace the gimble motor for $100. Call them and they will send you a mailing label.

My only advise for the cat is to, well never mind, I hate cats.

Crashed mine once and that happened. Sent it to Autel and they replace the gimble motor for $100. Call them and they will send you a mailing label.

My only advise for the cat is to, well never mind, I hate cats.
They hate you too!
IMG_20200527_124623.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: butch
I had an issue where my lens was cocked crooked. I tried doing the gimble calibration thinking that would somehow fix the tilted lense..it didn't do it. So, in a frustrated last ditch effort before doing a hammer adjustment.. I took a close look.. I had a polarizing lens on (its an EVO... not any of the Evo 2s) and when I removed the lense , i was able to take my finger and manually turn the lense in the opposite direction. It had gotten caught in a tilt under the polarizing lens... so.. after getting it unjammed ...and applying the polarizing lens again but a little looser.. it was good to go.

Ive just had a similar experience so I thought i'd drop it into this thread for future readers as it may be helpful AND I'm also wondering if anyone has a phone number for the Australian service folks please? So far 2 messages and emails and zero response. Its a little off-putting to be honest, making the competition look good for my next purchase :) !!

The issue first surfaced after a landing shortfall in which I had to step into a shallow river and grab down on the drone from above, yes through the spinning propellers, before it landed in the water. I punched my hand through the props pretty hard and grabbed the body of the drone. It did lunge into the water a little but Im fairly certain the issue was caused by the sharp grab though the propellers of death.!! Couple of small cuts, but otherwise ok.

The main issue is as the gimbal attempts to calibrate on start-up, it does a wobbly jiggle and gets stuck pointing upwards at 45 degrees, then repeats after 30 seconds or so, wobble, jiggle and stuck 45 degrees up. Camera still works and records. I'm up to date with firmware.

I have had 3 other hard tree bingles, hit the ground crashs so its held up pretty good so far.

I'll post my progress and hopefully a solution.

RE; Australian contacts, I've sent an email as shown on the Autel webpage as well as contacting them through their web-message feature but im getting donuts.!! I remember the major selling point at the time was their back-up service and now its dreadful to the point that this $2000 drone may end up in the bin if I cant even get some parts.

Spoken to a local drone repair guy who said he would be happy to assist but only if he could get parts.

C'mon Autel, you seem happy enough to get peoples hard earned by selling drones but a poor post sales customer service will implode your business rapidly. You need to show more respect to your customers and aim to keep them flying Autel for their entire life, their families life, not just sell your latest drone and disregard the back catalogue.

I'd expect to get 5-10 good years with support out of a $2000 purchase, not 3 years to find their is no local support/parts for earlier models.

As I said, this may be my first and only Autel if they continue to disregard.

Reactions: Denis

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials