Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

cell phones and data plans

Randy the Locator

Reaction score
Hello
New Autel pilot here, I want to understand the whole data plan ,used cellphone , bluetooth, wifi THING. If I purchase a used cellphone off say eBay like this one galaxy s8 preowned, unlocked, can I use this to fly my evo ll ?
Do I need a cell phone plan ?
Do I need data ?
WiFi ?
How can I load the fly App without data plan ?
Maps ?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to understand before I just purchase phone and find out all I can use it for is a door stop

thanks
Randy

You don't need data, wifi, bluetooth or a plan. Your connection is made through the usb connection to the controller. The drone and controller cummincate wirelessly and the usb sends the info to your phone/tablet. A lot of people use dedicated phones without a plan and like myself I use a Nvidia shield K1 which you can't get a plan for since it has no cell service function.
Some people put their phones into airplane mode which shuts all that off. It can be a good idea as you will not get bothered from phone calls or text messages.
As for getting the apps you need you can either side load them or connect your phone to a wifi signal for internet like your home internet instead of cell service. Then you can go to the play store or wherever you decide to get your apps and install them. Side loading apps involves downloading the actual apk file to your pc and transferring it to your phone/tablet. Then finding the apk on your phone and installing it from there.

Reactions: Ansia
Caching maps or downloading them for offline use. Caching just involves opening the map in google maps (when you are connected to wifi) in the area you're going to fly in and zoom in and out in the area so it saves it to cache. It should stay cached as long as you don't turn off the phone.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo