Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Category certification?

WalterS

Reaction score
The way I read the FAA's "Executive Summary", the OOP provisions don't come into play until Remote ID is available; but maybe the "over vehicles" (not sustained travel) do actually take effect. But the key is the category -- and that has to be certified my the manufacturer, it seems. Will EVO II models be certified as Category 3 by Cousin Autel? And when?

The way I read the FAA's "Executive Summary", the OOP provisions don't come into play until Remote ID is available; but maybe the "over vehicles" (not sustained travel) do actually take effect. But the key is the category -- and that has to be certified my the manufacturer, it seems. Will EVO II models be certified as Category 3 by Cousin Autel? And when?
Short answer:
Autel will need to provide an Declaration of Compliance (DoC) to FAA which gets published including for what category (probably cat 3), along with what needs to be done (e.g. new prop guard/cage add on, or something else).

Longer answer and comments:
Once the new rules go into effect 4/21, and, after you have taken the new training/test exam (Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - Course Overview - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov) you could operate over people (OOP) and moving vehicles if you fit under one of the four OOP categories.

Also as you mention, that OOP and moving vehicles is not hovering over, circling over, rather transit. Regarding EVO II, given its weight, potential kinetic energy and probable use scenarios/missions, Category 3 makes sense and will need to hear from Autel what their Declaration of Compliance (DoC) states including how will they comply (no exposed moving parts e.g. blades).

Heres a link to FAA OOP Executive summary (PDF) that discusses the four categories.

I would be surprised if Autel could get a DoC for cat 2 or cat 3 with the existing prop guard. Granted, if they could provide, document, and prove an instant motor/blade stop before/during drop, then in theory they only have to deal with kinetic energy, however that is only wishful thinking.

Btw, fwiw, for those of you who have or know of somebody with a Mavic Mini and prop cage combination would exceed the weight limit for category 1.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo