Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Brightest tablet screen?

John Ford

Reaction score
I am currently using an Insignia Flex 8 inch tablet and it works fine, but even with a a sun hood, it is difficult to see outside. This makes flying a bit more nerve wracking than I would like. I have been reading some pretty good things about the Nvidia Shield K1. Has anyone here had any experience with this tablet? I would love to hear what you think. Thanks.

johnf

I am currently using an Insignia Flex 8 inch tablet and it works fine, but even with a a sun hood, it is difficult to see outside. This makes flying a bit more nerve wracking than I would like. I have been reading some pretty good things about the Nvidia Shield K1. Has anyone here had any experience with this tablet? I would love to hear what you think. Thanks.

johnf

I have a Shield. It is very bright when dialed up in settings. I bought a antiglare screen cover , it helps a lot. I dropped it today on a tile floor, landed face up and works fine.

I too use a anti-glare mat on my I pad 2 and it is perfect for the Florida bright sun.

Old Bama Dude, I hope you have better luck than I did. I'm afraid my eyes just are'nt good enough to see the screen well enough in sunlight. I wound up returning the Insignia and ordered an Nvidia Shield K1. Still not as bright outside as I would like but better than the Insignia. I wish Autel would consider creating their own tablet just for their drones and make it bright enough for direct sunlight. I know DJI is coming out with their own screen called the Crystal Sky. Happy Flying.

johnf

I guess some type of goggles is the best way to go as long as you don't walk around and step in a hole, walk into a tree, or off a cliff.

I bought the Hoodman Aviator for my iPad Air because it was practically impossible for me to see anything in sunlight. It's a bit cumbersome at first but once I got the hang of it, I won't be able to fly without it anymore. It works great and I am finally able to see like I need to. The extra weight makes using the lanyard mandatory.

My attempt at turning my DIY sunshade into a homemade Hoodman;) There will be a black part across the bottom with enough space to insert your hand. Anything to save a dollar.

Attachments

• Hoodman.jpg
    Hoodman.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Dino54
I own a couple of DJI drones as well as the CrystalSky. The latest CS firmware now allows 3rd-party apps to be side-loaded onto it so I am wondering if I can install Starlink and use it with an XSP. It would have to be the Android version, as CS runs on Android.

I use the Samsung 9.7" tab s2, very bright tablet & big for us old farts! $389 on Amazon

https://autelxpilots.com/threads/sunshade.1471/
I am telling you boys get yourself a piece of black cotton material from Walmart and slap it over your head and pull on your ball cap. You can see well enough through the material to dodge a train and it makes those screens look like HD TV. Cost $3.95 :)

After trying several iPads, including Air, Air 2, Mini 3&4, I’ve found the Air 2 to be the best bang for your buck brightness-wise, noticeably brighter than the Air. It’s thin & light too. Craigslist has 16GB WiFi-only’s for $150+-

The Air 2 is bright enough to judge exposure accuracy, my main concern, and whether my Polarizing filter is rotated right...

According to Laptop.com, the 10.5” iPad Pro is the brightest tablet you can currently buy, 35% brighter than the Air 2, I’m just not willing to pay $500+ for the RC screen!

johnf
I started with an old Samsung Note 3. It wasn't bright enough, so I made a couple sunshades of different designs and was surprised by both how little they helped and the nuisance they were to use. I also had read good things about the Nvidia Shield K1 and so bought one of them. Its larger screen was easier to use, but its screen wasn't as bright as the Note 3's screen, its colorimetry wasn't as good (like an Apple screen), and it was practically impossible to see it outdoors on bright days. I bought an Autel tablet-sized sunshade for it and It didn't help any more than the home-made ones I had used with the Note 3.

I discovered the solution when I bought a Samsung S8+ last April. Its screen is way brighter and sharper than any other mobile device screen I have ever seen (the screen-testing website DisplayMate says it has the largest native color gamut, highest peak brightness, highest contrast rating in ambient light, highest screen resolution, lowest reflectance, and highest contrast ratio of any mobile device). It's the only mobile device I have flown with since April and I have never bothered to use a sunshade, because I have never needed one. Its 6.2-inch wide screen is slightly smaller than ideal for big fingers, but I manage fine with my big fingers and it is really convenient to have a small, light-weight, and well balanced remote-control package for the aircraft.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy