Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Cheap High-Brightness Phones for Explorer App

Hysteresis

Reaction score
Looking for a cheap, bright phone or tablet to run the Explorer on...

Doogee BL5000 claims 650 NITs brightness. Iphone 7 at 705, Samsung S8 at 855
The DJI tablet has 1000 nits, but i can't find anything near that brightness in the sub-200 pricerange.
https://beebom.com/doogee-bl5000-review/
596f79598e759.jpg

The CPU is pokey, with the A53 not supporting speculative execution. Also it's missing magnet and gyro sensors. Does the Explorer App need those?

Some more high-brightness phones:
Techspot: Bright Phones
Chart-17.png

Note the LG G5 with 850 nits supposedly can not run that brightness for more than a short time.

I'll add any helpful info I find over the weekend to this post or thread. Cheers.

--------

Motorola Moto G6 Plus, tested at 806 NITs.
Motorola Moto G6, G6 Plus and G6 Play Review

--------

Crystal Sky Displays vs Ipad

--------

Some reviewers say NIT brightness isn't everything ...
One Plus 5T gets very good reviews but supposedly only 437 NIT

--------

The 2016 Moto G4 Plus looks brighter than successors, doesn't have that horrible glass body. -- Sigh, but another reviewer says it sucks.

Moto G4 and G4 Plus Review

--------

Here's a list of Phones and Tablets reccommended for the DJI Android / Apple App.
Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help

--------

Some praise for the Nvidia Shield K1 Tablet

Tablet brightest resolution

--------
If you've got > $1000 for a used tablet, the Panasonic FZ-A2 looks good: Anti-glare screen, Android 6, 800 nits brightness.
Panasonic shows off the Toughpad FZ-A2 rugged Android tablet

Panasonic ToughPad FZ-A2 Android Tablets | PTS Mobile

--------

Atomos Ninja V camera monitor could be hooked up to an android phone with HDMI-out...

--------

Ok, finally some progress! There are 7" "Field Monitors" with 450-2000 NITs in the $170-500 range....

https://www.amazon.com/daylight-viewable-monitor/s?page=1&rh=i:aps,k:daylight viewable monitor,p_76:1-

Portkeys HH7 - 1200nit 7" - $289 (€349 in europe)

https://www.amazon.com/PortKeys-HH7-Histogram-Panasonic-Shooting/dp/B07GRMJKJ1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

--------
Feelworld FW279S 7 Inch HDMI / SDI monitor - 2200 NIT
Amazon.com FW279S 7-Inch, 2200 NIT
FW279S at AliExpress

Last edited:
I would get a cheap android phone like the Moto G6 which you can get at Walmart for about 150. Or you could get a used samsung S7 or S8 for a pretty good price and the display is super bright.

Reactions: Hysteresis
That’s the rub, how long can they run at 100% brightness. And, you’re right, peak brightness isn’t everything, there’s efficiency, accuracy, contrast ratio, and the situation it’s most often used. The anti-reflective coatings can play a role. Nice to have if you’re using it in bright sunshine a lot like me, but it usually dims the display by 8-10% overall.

I still use a $100 (Craigslist!) iPad Air 2 16gb WiFi. I like the big screen size, but thin & light. It’s pretty bright, excellent anti-reflection coating, good color accuracy. On 100% brightness, it’s good for about 90min, so I’m really conscious about sleeping it immediately after landing, and using the car charger constantly...

I use a MotoG that we had lying around. It works Flawlessly so far.. I only use it as a wifi device, no sim. But I have no complaints on the size, brightness or overall connection quality. My only gripe with ALL of them... Can't wear polarized glasses or you may as well not bother.

That’s the rub, how long can they run at 100% brightness. And, you’re right, peak brightness isn’t everything, there’s efficiency, accuracy, contrast ratio, and the situation it’s most often used. The anti-reflective coatings can play a role. Nice to have if you’re using it in bright sunshine a lot like me, but it usually dims the display by 8-10% overall.

I still use a $100 (Craigslist!) iPad Air 2 16gb WiFi. I like the big screen size, but thin & light. It’s pretty bright, excellent anti-reflection coating, good color accuracy. On 100% brightness, it’s good for about 90min, so I’m really conscious about sleeping it immediately after landing, and using the car charger constantly...
The Moto G6, S7, and S8 will run for at least 2 hrs on max brightness, possibly much more depending on the device.

That’s the rub, how long can they run at 100% brightness. And, you’re right, peak brightness isn’t everything, there’s several factors. Efficiency, quality, accuracy, contrast ratios, and the situation it’s most often used. The anti-reflective coatings can play a role. Nice to have if you’re using it in bright sunshine a lot, but it usually dims the display by 8-10%.

I still use a $100 (Craigslist!) iPad Air 2 16gb WiFi, b/c I like the screen size, but thin & light. It’s pretty bright, excellent anti-reflection coating, good color accuracy. On 100% brightness, it’s good for about 90min.
The Moto G6, S7, and S8 will run for at least 2 hrs on max brightness, possibly much more depending on the device.
Yea, I can get a bit over 2 hrs if I’m disciplined, turning it off as soon as I land, unless I’m flying again immediately, then I’ll sleep it. If you’re not careful, it’s 90min max...

My Asus Transformer Prime TF700T is 600 nits. Battery life ain't great but I can fly 2 batteries out of my XSP. I also have a custom ROM on it though. I got it for around $60 used on fleabay. Not that I use it but it also has an hdmi port.

Jayne sees the FW279S walk on the ship...

Attachments

• fw279s.png
    fw279s.png
    261.3 KB · Views: 9
My relatively high nits ASUS S8 just won't cut it in bright sunlight. It looks like the CrystalSky monitor is the only viable alternative. Does anyone have experience running the Explorer app and/or the EVO with this monitor/tablet?

A quick search indicates that the CrystalSky will not run other apps (CrystalSky vs tablets) If this is true then I am out of alternatives.

I got the following from dji support:
"Oh okay, please be advised that using a 3rd party application beside from DJI application doesn't guarantee that it will work properly with the Crystalsky device, however, Crystalsky is just the same with other mobile devices that has android Operating system, I can't guarantee you since we haven't tested the app you wanted to install on the Crystalsky but most likely it will work if it's an android based application. "

Last edited:
My relatively high nits ASUS S8 just won't cut it in bright sunlight. It looks like the CrystalSky monitor is the only viable alternative. Does anyone have experience running the Explorer app and/or the EVO with this monitor/tablet?

A quick search indicates that the CrystalSky will not run other apps (CrystalSky vs tablets) If this is true then I am out of alternatives.

I got the following from dji support:
"Oh okay, please be advised that using a 3rd party application beside from DJI application doesn't guarantee that it will work properly with the Crystalsky device, however, Crystalsky is just the same with other mobile devices that has android Operating system, I can't guarantee you since we haven't tested the app you wanted to install on the Crystalsky but most likely it will work if it's an android based application. "

This guy had some success. Autel and crystalsky

It is just a monitor. You'd need a cell phone with hdmi-out and screen mirroring.

Apparently, this is no longer true. One can now run third-party apps on the Crystalsky.
The Crystalsky is more than just a monitor ... it runs a custom Android OS

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58