Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Best Practices to Connect an Emlid Reach RS2 Base to an Autel Evo II Pro Enterprise RTK Drone

See attached screen shots. Do these screens (Status and Settings) look correct using Correction Output - Local NTRIP?

Attachments

• RS2 Settings using Local NTRIP-1.jpg
    RS2 Settings using Local NTRIP-1.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 4
  • RS2 Status Screen using Local NTRIP-2.jpg
    RS2 Status Screen using Local NTRIP-2.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 4
Unfortunately, some days are just frustrating. We are all trying to push the technology and our own knowledge to solve problems and provide answers. I am so glad these Forums are here for all of us to share our knowledge and experience. I really appreciate you all taking the time to contribute your expertise.
what software are you using to produce thermal maps?

The whole battery change process during a Mission is still very cumbersome. One suggestion that I will submit to Autel is to add a check box that would allow for the RTK Network to login automatically (default?) versus having to hit the Login button each time.
what software are you using to produce thermal maps?

Attachments

• RTK Login Screen Checkbox.jpg
    RTK Login Screen Checkbox.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The whole battery change process during a Mission is still very cumbersome. One suggestion that I will submit to Autel is to add a check box that would allow for the RTK Network to login automatically (default?) versus having to hit the Login button each time.
Yup, they heard that from us as well. Those no reason why the device can't maintain the connection and then the drone would hop right back on without having to manually trigger it. Unfortunately it might be a design flaw that's not easy to work around depending on how the hardware is configured.

I both a floating license several years ago. I believe I paid about $4,500 for the license and $1,500 every 2 years for maintenance.
Same. We cut maintenance two updates ago and it is working just fine for what we infrequently use it for but if some hot feature comes out we'll hop back on.

Reactions: jmason702
Attached are plots showing the RGB Visible Survey, Thermal IR Survey, and the Thermal IR survey overlain on the RGB Visible Survey over a 30 acres area known as East End Park in Kingwood, TX. The Thermal IR Survey was shot with an Autel Dual 640R camera at 250' AGL, 80%/80% Overlap and 10 MPH. It generated ~2275 Thermal IR photos and ~2275 RGB Visible photos. Both Surveys were processed with SimActive's Correlator3D software. Overall the thermal IR survey came out quite well.

Attachments

• East End Park RGB Visible 2D Ortho-072122-3.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 11
  • East End Park Thermal IR Test Survey-072122-3.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 12
  • East End Park Thermal IR over RGB Visible 2D Ortho-072122-3.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 11
  • East End Park over RGB Visible and Thermal IR 2D Ortho-072122-2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Attached are plots showing the RGB Visible Survey, Thermal IR Survey, and the Thermal IR survey overlain on the RGB Visible Survey over a 30 acres area known as East End Park in Kingwood, TX. The Thermal IR Survey was shot with an Autel Dual 640R camera at 250' AGL, 80%/80% Overlap and 10 MPH. It generated ~2275 Thermal IR photos and ~2275 RGB Visible photos. Both Surveys were processed with SimActive's Correlator3D software. Overall the thermal IR survey came out quite well.
Nice. Looks like you're getting dialed in. I'm out in the Badlands again today. Testing a new router. Not bad but still not fixing any faster than 5 minutes.
PXL_20220722_202121219.jpg
16585215221166418414058942882587.jpg

Reactions: Malli35998
Looks very CLEAN

Attachments

• East End Park Thermal IR Drone Survey - WebODM.jpg
    East End Park Thermal IR Drone Survey - WebODM.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • East End Park Thermal IR Drone Survey - Correlator3D.jpg
    East End Park Thermal IR Drone Survey - Correlator3D.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: elphtrooper
I also processed the thermal IR survey with WebODM (WebODM Drone Software - OpenDroneMap). It came out quite good. See attached screen captures. Left image was processed with WebODM and the right image processed with Correlator3D.
Have you tried using this to find ground water? We have found that early morning will produce heat signatures close enough that you can guesstimate where ground water would be for exploration. We have a lot of it but also a lot of limestone 4-5ft down in many areas so it is easy to tell which is which. My next endeavor is to use thermal to prove curing of concrete tilt-wall panels. If we can shave a day or two that is a big deal on the schedule.

Have you tried using this to find ground water? We have found that early morning will produce heat signatures close enough that you can guesstimate where ground water would be for exploration. We have a lot of it but also a lot of limestone 4-5ft down in many areas so it is easy to tell which is which. My next endeavor is to use thermal to prove curing of concrete tilt-wall panels. If we can shave a day or two that is a big deal on the schedule.

Certainly using a thermal camera can find ground water. A couple of years ago I was going to do some work along the coast of Georgia but I had problems with my Zenmuse XTR camera, so I had to withdraw from the project. I checked on the Project and the technique worked well. I have a small project in Menard, TX, later in the year that might have ground water/springs present. I extended the survey to try and identify some ground water/springs. I plan to shoot as early in the morning as I can.

Last edited:
I also processed the thermal IR survey with WebODM (WebODM Drone Software - OpenDroneMap). It came out quite good. See attached screen captures. Left image was processed with WebODM and the right image processed with Correlator3D.
Does WEB OMD take into account the RTK metadata in the photos? To make the map very much more accurate... and does it generate an accurate report of some kind telling you how well it thinks the map is geo-referenced?

Also any other cool stuff it can do? There is no trial package. My concern is, does it work well with RTK drones...

• Love
Reactions: elphtrooper
Does WEB OMD take into account the RTK metadata in the photos? To make the map very much more accurate... and does it generate an accurate report of some kind telling you how well it thinks the map is geo-referenced?

Also any other cool stuff it can do? There is no trial package. My concern is, does it work well with RTK drones...
Check out the following links below from the WebODM Community Forum. It might be worth joining. I bought a license because it is cheap and has a good following. I haven't used WebODM extensively.

I attached a 3D Model I processed with WebODM using only Nadir images, no obliques.

Attachments

• WebODM-3D Model Example.jpg
    WebODM-3D Model Example.jpg
    668.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I just processed a thermal map in WebOMD using the 640T and the converter tool to Rjpeg. Turned out very well. Have you been able to read temps on WebOMD or SIM ACTIVE?

I just processed a thermal map in WebOMD using the 640T and the converter tool to Rjpeg. Turned out very well. Have you been able to read temps on WebOMD or SIM ACTIVE?
The only info I came across in Simactive C3D is provided in the link below. You disable the color balancing option in the Mosaic Creation dialog.

The temperature data appears to be accurately shown as compared to the original thermal IR images. I have not figured out how to read actual temps in either C3D or Global Mapper. Still working on this.

Regarding WebODM, Since upgrading to the latest version, I have not been able to process any data. I keep having problems with the processing node going offline.

You can read temps for individual images using FLIR Tools. See screen capture.

Attachments

• Thermal IR Pixels-1.jpg
    Thermal IR Pixels-1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Thermal IR Pixels-2.jpg
    Thermal IR Pixels-2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Thermal IR Pixels-3.jpg
    Thermal IR Pixels-3.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
10-4, yes I now to can use FLIR tools to read temps with the 640T. was wondering if you could do it through the map using sim or webomd

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials