Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Best Practices to Connect an Emlid Reach RS2 Base to an Autel Evo II Pro Enterprise RTK Drone

Might of been your location vs satellites in the air or your data connection

The screen capture shows 22 satellites visible to the Autel Evo 2 Enterprise RTK receiver. In this one area, I could not get from FLOAT to FIX. How many satellites does it take to get the Autel Evo 2 Enterprise drone into FIX positioning mode? Is it a magic number of satellites or the type of satellite (GPS, BDS, GLONASS, Galileo) that makes the difference? Other?
Ours takes at least 10 minutes to fix. A couple of reboots, a couple of walkabouts and it just creeps down from 150cm errors to 15cm and the lower it goes the smaller the increment of improvement is. Then all of the sudden it fixes. It has been happening to us with 2 different aircraft and it just so happens I reported this to them today. I also requested that they give us more information and the ability to adjust GNSS settings. Just seeing the number of satellites does nothing for understanding the actual state of the corrections and the validity of the satellites being used.

Ours takes at least 10 minutes to fix. A couple of reboots, a couple of walkabouts and it just creeps down from 150cm errors to 15cm and the lower it goes the smaller the increment of improvement is. Then all of the sudden it fixes.
That is painful. The inconsistency in the gear is astonishing. My unit attains FIX in less than a minute, usually.

That is painful. The inconsistency in the gear is astonishing. My unit attains FIX in less than a minute, usually.

Ours takes at least 10 minutes to fix. A couple of reboots, a couple of walkabouts and it just creeps down from 150cm errors to 15cm and the lower it goes the smaller the increment of improvement is. Then all of the sudden it fixes. It has been happening to us with 2 different aircraft and it just so happens I reported this to them today. I also requested that they give us more information and the ability to adjust GNSS settings. Just seeing the number of satellites does nothing for understanding the actual state of the corrections and the validity of the satellites being used.
This has been more my experience with the Evo ii Enterprise RTK drone I am using. It is generally never very quick (certainly not less than a minute) to attain FIX.

This has been more my experience with the Evo ii Enterprise RTK drone I am using. It is generally never very quick (certainly not less than a minute) to attain FIX.

While my unit and @jmason702 's unit hook up quick.
I also have a P4RTK and my Evo2 Fixes quicker than the P4 as a general rule.
I doubt it matters, but just for a data point, I am 3 FW versions behind current.

While my unit and @jmason702 's unit hook up quick.
I also have a P4RTK and my Evo2 Fixes quicker than the P4 as a general rule.
I doubt it matters, but just for a data point, I am 3 FW versions behind current.
I thought @jmason702 was running v1 Evo's. Which version firmware do you have on the Enterprise (v2)? I have been through the last 3 a couple of times and all of them exhibited the same behaviour. Perhaps there is something in our area that the Evo GNSS doesn't like :rolleyes:. @Malli35998, where in the world are you?

I thought @jmason702 was running v1 Evo's. Which version firmware do you have on the Enterprise (v2)? I have been through the last 3 a couple of times and all of them exhibited the same behaviour. Perhaps there is something in our area that the Evo GNSS doesn't like :rolleyes:. @Malli35998, where in the world are you?

Yes, Jeff is using v.1 but I suspect the GNSS end of the craft is the same, but not sure.
I'm running fw: 2.1.77 and SC App: 1.0.67 on the Evo2 (v.2) Ent. w/ RTK module.

• Love
Reactions: elphtrooper
I tried shooting a 30 acres test thermal survey yesterday with my Dual 640R camera. After the 1st battery change I could not get the drone (setup as a rover with an Emlid Reach RS2 as the base) to obtain an RTK FIX position. No matter what I tried it stayed in FLOAT. I eventually turned off RTK so I could complete the Mission.

I tried shooting a 30 acres test thermal survey yesterday with my Dual 640R camera. After the 1st battery change I could not get the drone (setup as a rover with an Emlid Reach RS2 as the base) to obtain an RTK FIX position. No matter what I tried it stayed in FLOAT. I eventually turned off RTK so I could complete the Mission.
Does that mean you were using local NTRIP? That's the only way I can fly and Autel has pretty much ghosted me. The next person they get to talk to is our CFO and that dude's ruthless. You don't sell someone a $5K+ piece of hardware that half works and not expect repercussions.

Does that mean you were using local NTRIP? That's the only way I can fly and Autel has pretty much ghosted me. The next person they get to talk to is our CFO and that dude's ruthless. You don't sell someone a $5K+ piece of hardware that half works and not expect repercussions.
I use the Emlid Caster to connect the RS2 and the Evo 2 Enterprise RTK drone. I can connect to the RTK service fine on both but getting the drone to FIX can be (generally is) very problematic especially after a battery change.

I use the Emlid Caster to connect the RS2 and the Evo 2 Enterprise RTK drone. I can connect to the RTK service fine on both but getting the drone to FIX can be (generally is) very problematic especially after a battery change.
Yeah, NTRIP via cellular has been trash for us. I did two flights yesterday logging into the receiver itself for local NTRIP and it fixes within seconds just like my rover so whether I have a good signal or not that's the way I'm going to do it until they decide they want to fix it.

Reactions: Malli35998
Yeah, NTRIP via cellular has been trash for us. I did two flights yesterday logging into the receiver itself for local NTRIP and it fixes within seconds just like my rover so whether I have a good signal or not that's the way I'm going to do it until they decide they want to fix it.
Please elaborate on the steps you take to log directly into the RS2 for local NTRIP. I am still pretty new to using RS2. Thanks in advance.

Please elaborate on the steps you take to log directly into the RS2 for local NTRIP. I am still pretty new to using RS2. Thanks in advance.
When starting up, do not turn on your hotspot. When the RS2 cannot find a wifi connection, it will enable it's own wifi indidcated by the connection icon turning white instead of blue. Then you can connect to the RS2's network with your phone and/or Smart Controller.

Reactions: elphtrooper

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy