Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery HUB

NovicePilot

Reaction score
Miami Florida and Bogota Colombia, my two homes!
Hi Pilots! I have 4 batteries and charging one by one is really pain in the neck plus time consuming. I am watching Autel CES video and seems Autel hear our clamor for a multi charger. When any tip when it will be available? Thanks guys and gals for your responses.

One of Autels favorite answers when asked when something will be released is the word "soon"
there are many other ways to say soon. For example:
before long, in a short time, in a while, shortly, forthwith, presently, quickly, in a minute, in a second, in short order, in due time; see also someday.

They are not very good at giving dates, just know it will be here someday :)

I called Autel today, spoke to Jack to ask a couple questions..

1) I turned on my new Evo for the first time and got a firmware update message. I updated without any problems. The question is, do I have to perform a Compass Calibration even though I have yet to take a maiden flight? The answer was no. Only perform a Compass Calibration if you're prompted to. Performing a Compass Calibration without being prompted for one, could cause problems.

2) When is the multi charger going to be released? A week, month, 6 months? I was told at least a couple months but he could not give me any more information. He sounded like he was sick and tired of answering that question.

On a side note, I was able to take my maiden flight late this afternoon, and I am in love. What a quiet and responsive machine. I stayed in Precision mode and was blown away. Great video, tranquil low and slow. Towards the last few minutes I put in on Standard and if was still a pleasure to fly. Since I love those slow cinematic shots, I think Precision is going to be my default with EXP turned down to .25. I had a lot fun. I even got it to follow me around, way too much fun. I can't wait to delve into all it has to offer.

Hey Agustine, I think you and I were the only ones left on this forum who hadn't pulled the trigger. You're up brother. Trust me, it's a nice bird. I'm honestly very impressed. If you don't get one, we'll all just have to get a petition together to pitch in to buy you one :)

Well said. My dear old mum said throughout her life that she hated Guinness. On her 80th birthday she confessed she had never tried it.

Hi Pilots! I have 4 batteries and charging one by one is really pain in the neck plus time consuming. I am watching Autel CES video and seems Autel hear our clamor for a multi charger. When any tip when it will be available? Thanks guys and gals for your responses.
I believe the "multi Charge" works the same as the DJI one, it will still change the batteries one by one, the only troubleble it saves you is having to look and see when one so it's time to charge the other. Frankly to me that defeats the purpose and expense.

Reactions: Nightbat2
I believe the "multi Charge" works the same as the DJI one, it will still change the batteries one by one, the only troubleble it saves you is having to look and see when one so it's time to charge the other. Frankly to me that defeats the purpose and expense.
Assuming you are referring to the two (possibly more) aftermarket multi-chargers that purport to be for the DJI Mavic, you need to look again. First, both are usable on the EVO with NO electrical mods, just removal of a small piece of plastic. Second, both will charge several batteries in parallel, in the same time the stock single-battery charger does one. I have one, and it charges three batteries, the RC, and a mobile device simultaneously. Been doing this for six months, with no problems...

Assuming you are referring to the two (possibly more) aftermarket multi-chargers that purport to be for the DJI Mavic, you need to look again. First, both are usable on the EVO with NO electrical mods, just removal of a small piece of plastic. Second, both will charge several batteries in parallel, in the same time the stock single-battery charger does one. I have one, and it charges three batteries, the RC, and a mobile device simultaneously. Been doing this for six months, with no problems...

Could you please post a link to the multi charger you're talking about? Is this the one you're referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Int...ocphy=1014424&hvtargid=pla-567461473186&psc=1

I am referring to the soon to be release (if it hasn't been already) Autel EVO multi-charger or battery hub, however they call it

I am referring to the soon to be release (if it hasn't been already) Autel EVO multi-charger or battery hub, however they call it
FWIW, Autel has already described the manner in which this device will operate, in detail. I haven't paid a whole lot of attention, having already purchased a superior product (IMHO), but as I understand it sequentially charges multiple batteries to a point short of full, then "floats" the whole lot until they're full-up. I also am told the price will be around $100...

Just got the charging hub and it's awesome!! You do have to understand how it works so you won't freak out. Once the batteries reach a certain percentage they do begin charging 2 at a time.

Yes, the multi-charger used by the Phantom 4 series charges only one at a time.

Yes, the multi-charger used by the Phantom 4 series charges only one at a time.
The Evo charging hub speed charges them one by one to 80%, then trickle charges 2 at a time to 100%. I know this because I own one. ?

With multiple batteries and extended schedules keeping me away from home base on some shoots I took a hard look at my charging options to minimize the time my aircraft would be grounded waiting on its 'tanks' to get refueled. The 4 port Hub was a contender until I read the specs. To get fully charged batteries, i.e. 100%, there was no reduced charging time for multiple batteries connected to the Hub. Specs are 4 fully depleted batteries take 4 hours and 40 mins to charge. That is the same as 1 hour 10 mins per battery when charging one battery at a time on the single charger. The hub charges only 2 batteries at a time but the entire time for two batteries to fully charge remains at 2 hours and 20 mins. The equivalent of one battery at a time charge rate on the single connection.

EVO 4 Port Charging Hub

The only logical way to reduce you refueling time in the field is to purchase the car charger and a cheap 200 watt DC/AC inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket on the vehicle. With your AC charger plugged into the Inverter in one vehicle socket and the car charger plugged into the other dashboard socket I am charging sequential batteries faster than I typically need them for the next flight plan or shoot. IOW, I start charging my first of 3 batteries as soon as it cools down while I begin flying on the 2nd. By the time my 2nd battery shoot is complete the 1st battery is over half way charged at the time the 2nd begins its charging on the other unit. Enter my 3rd battery and flight time and before that #3 has been used up my first battery is topped off and ready to use again and #2 is half way charged. Never running out of fuel for the drone, even on a lengthy all day shoot as long as the vehicle is within "reach."

Financially the Hub is $79 and the car charger is $65. The $14 savings can be applied towards the 200 watt inverter which even comes in handy for charging your cell phone, tablet or running your laptop while on a road trip. A 200 watt inverter is only $22 on AMZ. I personally run a 400 watt Inverter than can power my 27 inch iMac right in my truck for on the spot previewing or editing if needed.

I have run my Killa Watt meter on my AC OEM single charger and the output is only 56.7 watts when charging the drone battery from discharge level and the HUB will only receive that much power from the charger for the connected batteries no matter how many are attached. The AC charger label states "Maximum Output 50 watts." I was getting 57. However if you begin charging the RC controller while charging the battery, 20 watts will be used for the RC initially leaving only 30 watts for the drone battery.

Just something to think about if you find yourself in the position of all day shoots and many flight plans or missions to accomplish with a smooth work flow and minimum down time.

Reactions: SacFlyer
With multiple batteries and extended schedules keeping me away from home base on some shoots I took a hard look at my charging options to minimize the time my aircraft would be grounded waiting on its 'tanks' to get refueled. The 4 port Hub was a contender until I read the specs. To get fully charged batteries, i.e. 100%, there was no reduced charging time for multiple batteries connected to the Hub. Specs are 4 fully depleted batteries take 4 hours and 40 mins to charge. That is the same as 1 hour 10 mins per battery when charging one battery at a time on the single charger. The hub charges only 2 batteries at a time but the entire time for two batteries to fully charge remains at 2 hours and 20 mins. The equivalent of one battery at a time charge rate on the single connection.

EVO 4 Port Charging Hub

The only logical way to reduce you refueling time in the field is to purchase the car charger and a cheap 200 watt DC/AC inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket on the vehicle. With your AC charger plugged into the Inverter in one vehicle socket and the car charger plugged into the other dashboard socket I am charging sequential batteries faster than I typically need them for the next flight plan or shoot. IOW, I start charging my first of 3 batteries as soon as it cools down while I begin flying on the 2nd. By the time my 2nd battery shoot is complete the 1st battery is over half way charged at the time the 2nd begins its charging on the other unit. Enter my 3rd battery and flight time and before that #3 has been used up my first battery is topped off and ready to use again and #2 is half way charged. Never running out of fuel for the drone, even on a lengthy all day shoot as long as the vehicle is within "reach."

Financially the Hub is $79 and the car charger is $65. The $14 savings can be applied towards the 200 watt inverter which even comes in handy for charging your cell phone, tablet or running your laptop while on a road trip. A 200 watt inverter is only $22 on AMZ. I personally run a 400 watt Inverter than can power my 27 inch iMac right in my truck for on the spot previewing or editing if needed.

I have run my Killa Watt meter on my AC OEM single charger and the output is only 56.7 watts when charging the drone battery from discharge level and the HUB will only receive that much power from the charger for the connected batteries no matter how many are attached. The AC charger label states "Maximum Output 50 watts." I was getting 57. However if you begin charging the RC controller while charging the battery, 20 watts will be used for the RC initially leaving only 30 watts for the drone battery.

Just something to think about if you find yourself in the position of all day shoots and many flight plans or missions to accomplish with a smooth work flow and minimum down time.
Hopefully Autel can make a firmware update to correct this, unless, the hardware doesn't support it. Either way,; am happy that I don't have to babysit batteries and I can walk away for a while. Good info though!

Hopefully Autel can make a firmware update to correct this, unless, the hardware doesn't support it. Either way,; am happy that I don't have to babysit batteries and I can walk away for a while. Good info though!

You have a very valid point. The convenience of attaching many batteries and walking away is a great big PLUS. Especially if you have enough batteries to complete all your flying and filming without the need to recharge out in the field. Based on the electrical specs on the charger it appears the device is fixed at its 50 watt max output so the max charge rate will remain constant to the HUB no matter how many batteries are attached. The charger does begin reducing its output at around 2 to 3 lights and during the last 10% does go into trickle mode (≈5 watts) to allow balancing the cells as it tops off.

What might be more beneficial to the pilot is NOT charge two at a time and take 2 hrs 20 mins to complete the both of them, but rather have the HUB sequentially charge them one after another. That way the pilot will be getting their first fully charged battery (100%) in 70 minutes. I suspect that the charging sequence is embedded in the circuitry program memory of the HUB itself and may not be able to be reprogrammed since it never sees any firmware updates. Perhaps only new Hubs could be reconfigured or programmed for sequential charging since that method would have more value to a pilot in every case with the wattage restricted to a constant flow. But the workaround if you need a battery quick is to just attach ONE battery and that will charge in 70 minutes or less.

Reactions: Deleted member 2926

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials