Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Bad RC Fan?

My replacement battery is still shows tomorrow delivery. Will say that when I was going to order an extra gimbal cover and UV lens from them i complained about the almost $20 shipping charge and they got back to me in about 30 minutes and waved it so I paid nothing for shipment. Arrived very fast too.
I cant believe you also had the same thing show up with the 0, 2 and 19. Something weird is going on here. Its like we got the same drone package twice in a row. What was the drones serial numbers lol.
I havent checked the 2 in the bag package. I'm almost afraid to as I dont need anymore drama.
Interesting that Autel says you dont need to calibrate the drone or controller and after update it doesnt tell you to do it. I'll fly it for the first time today but theres no way I'm not calibrating it like everything else. Think you are asking for trouble if you dont at least do it after updating. I've never heard of any other manufacturer recommending that you dont do it.
Obviously you need to get that 19 discharge one replaced like I am. Somethings wrong in river city....

On the calibrations, I agree to an extent. I did calibrate my compass - as a bad compass reading could lead to a flyaway. Most of these things drop the GPS if the compass heading gets confused. I'm not so worried about the IMU. If the drone is stable, I'll likely leave that one alone. My first Mavic was never the same after I calibrated its IMU - even though I got near perfect readings after the cal.

On the battery, I just find it too much of a coincidence that both say 19 discharge cycles. I'm not in a hurry to get it replaced. I have have a few different thoughts on this. It could be part of their QC process - or it could be a result of the bulk mfg process. I'm sure when they build these things they flash batches of them before they leave the factory...and they probably flash it on a special test platform with a static image because the hardware starts out as a blank slate. My guess is that they don't use the same process we do, controller, etc. Suppose the bench Evo or system they used to create the static image had 19 charge cycles on the battery? Then when the image is applied, all the registers, counters, and defaults get written to the new Evo. It could be something as stupid as that....and I doubt the customer service reps would be aware of such a practice. I realize I am completely speculating here, but the coincidence is hard to ignore. I'm also guessing that VERY few people check the discharge cycles immediately after buying the Evo. Anyone else remember what theirs said?

I did open a ticket with Autel, but I'm not worried about it. I'd rather have a good answer to what is going on...
LP

I get it but at the time I couldnt find any other post about something like this and Autels response was it shouldn't have happened.
You could be correct about everything and someone kept forgetting to reset their test rig. Also doubt many have printed all Autel documents out like I have on it. I dont like to mark up original manuals and I read everything except most of the fine print. Of course we didnt get the real manuals with it as expected. Although I download manuals for everything I still like hand copies. The point is I notice things that others miss.
I did buy one of those inexpensive 3d printed extensions for attaching a tablet but I have to say I think I'm going to have to invest in one of those Thor ones as the whole weight of a tablet is held by the OEM holders one screw. Feels really iffy with a larger 10" size tablet like it might give way and snap or break the rc. It's much better with a 7" but that tablet I'd just a cheap Amazon kindle and I wouldnt fly with it.
I havent flown any drone with either android tablet yet or my wife's 10" iPad. Generally use a galaxy 8+ that my father bought and never used or old note 4 to keep my note 8 free. The screens are large enough to work decent. I dont have any sunshades for anything so I need to figure that out.

Yeah - I'm fine flying with phones. I don't like the extra weight and balance issues tables cause. I end up just buying cheap prepaid phones from BestBuy...and I get one for each of my drones so I don't have to swap back and forth.

LP

Well they decided to send me a new battery anyway.... oh well. At least they want to understand what is going on.

LP

So, was supposed to get my new replacement battery today and it showed out for delivery. Just checked and their was a UPS exception error. Called UPS and was told it was damaged on the truck and is being sent back to them. Oh happy day:) Cant win lol.
Called Autel and was basically told they have to look into it and the guy said he basically doesnt make decisions on what happens and their people have to look into it. He doesnt know if they need it back before they will ship another. Told him to write down that I am leaving tomorrow morning and wont be back until late Friday night so dont ship it for delivery while I'm not here.
I took it up yesterday for the first time and was surprised at the vertical climb rate. Horizon looks great. Couldnt figure out how to see # of sats until after I landed. Appears to be just one empty spot on the upper right before the setup icon to get the dropdown.
Awaiting my next message from Autel......

Last edited:
Ouch...sorry to hear. Mine isn't due until next Tuesday.

Yeah - the climb rate surprised me as well. It's much faster than my DJI stuff. Good to hear your horizon is straight. Sometimes mine is, sometimes not. Sometimes it goes out while in the air and yawing back and forth a bit shifts it around. Other times it's off on startup, and it stays off. Still other times it starts straight and tends to stay straight. EXACT same behavior as the one I sent back for the RC issue. I don't know why everyone has so much trouble with the horizon. DJI and xDymanics seem to have the same struggle - although my Spark has always been great. I've also never seen a Hubsan Zino video with a crooked horizon. Go figure. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

LP

I cant figure out how your supposed to add a lanyard. Would stink to drop it.

You're probably not 'supposed' to, LOL. I've seen others attach a small carabiner with a hair tie around the phone holder. Not sure what other options there are. It's amazing that there is virtually ZERO third party support for this drone. I can get almost anything I can think up for my Mavics.

LP

Got to head to bed but I know theres a couple tablet holder options, leg extenders, back programmable button rings and antenna. I Have the cheap longer tablet holder leg extenders and button rings besides for the 3 pack cinema polar pro nd/pl filters. Like those raised orange plastic rings so you dont bump those buttons so easily. I've no intention on modifying the rc/antenna anytime soon and I'm doubting it's really neccessary unless you have a lot of interference. From the tests I've seen you can fly farther than you can return if it was allowed.

Someone said those 2 bottom buttons are used during orbit but I'm not sure. I'll have to see if I can find that answer somewhere. It was suggested that it would be nice if one could switch between atti and GPS. It's been a year and it doesnt seem like Autel is working on them. It would be a shame not to utilize them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have that stuff too except the filters...I just don't care enough about 'cinematic' footage to use them. I will probably use the landing gear at some point though.

On the bottom buttons, I wish they'd just make them programmable. The right one just brings up the gallery and the left one does nothing for me. I really miss having the ability to drop the camera 90 deg with the press of the button so I can see where my landing pad is. It takes too long with the scroll wheel.

Good luck with your battery fiasco. Will be interested to see how it turns out.
LP

I have the 3 pack polar pro vivid cinema nd/pl from Amazon that were $79 BUT I need to figure out how to use them properly as I'm not a camera guy. Since they are adjustable can they be adjusted for minimum affect so I dont need separate nd filters? Lots to learn.
I think theres a lot of factors affecting the antennas pins causing premature failures. Things I've noticed are:
- if you have the rugged case the lifting strap may be pushing down on them while closed.
- you have to think about not lifting the rc out by the antennas as it's the easiest part to pull.
- easy to put the rc down where the weight of it rocks back onto the antennas and this is especially true if you dont fold your phone inward when using the holder.
- need to be careful that the phone isnt pushing on the antennas. Probably best to have the antennas down rather than up.
Cant think of others at the moment as I'm on the road (wife's driving) and need to have it in my hands.
Havent heard back yet from Autel about the replacement battery replacement. Will call by Friday if they dont get back to me. Glad it never got delivered as a I wouldnt want to have to prove it was damaged in shipment. I cant remember the guys name I talked to yesterday. I really hope they are logging my issues/calls.
Almost forgot, I was curious about their recommended antenna position and watched 2 videos. You are told on the Xstar to turn them so the skinny part is facing the drone and not the flat. The Evo shows the normal flat way. I wonder how much of a difference it makes on the X and how many people position them wrong.

EDIT
So I just looked at the UPS # for the battery from yesterday and now it shows it's out for delivery today instead of being sent back to Autel. Since I was told by UPS yesterday that the exception error was because it was damaged I need to call them back up and see if Autel directed them to deliver it anyways even though I told them what UPS said and I was going to be away.

Last edited:
On the filters, it depends on how 'cinematic' you want to be. They reduce the light reaching the lens so you can run lower shutter speeds. For cinematic shots, you typically want some motion blur, so the recommendation is to run your shutter speed at or slightly below your frame rate. For example, at 60fps, you want to run at 1/100 or 1/120 for your shutter speed. In order to do that without an adjustable aperture, you may need to block some of the light to be able to set the shutter speed that low....that's what the ND filters do. Polar Pro has an app to help you decide which one to use depending on the current brightness and shutter speed the camera wants to pick for normal exposure. The polarizing effect is adjustable, and the idea there is to reduce glare - and the effect is totally dependent on the angle at which the sun is hitting the lens. That's why they rotate - so you can adjust the effect where you want it. Frankly, I find it a pain because you have to figure it out before you put the Evo in the air. Although they do block some light, they don't replace the need for ND filters. My take anyway.

On the antennas, I never thought about the lifting handles. Need to check that. I never grab the remote by the antennas. Actually, I slide the remote down over a ribbon so I can use the ribbon to pull out the remote (kinda like that ribbon in your mouse to get the batteries out). I also am very careful about the antenna location when I put the remote with phone down such that it's on a soft surface. We'll see I guess...

On the antenna angle, DJI recommends flat facing the drone (at least that's what I remember off hand), so that's what I've always done.

LP

Reactions: Pman
If you didnt already read the Edit in my last post please.

Called UPS and they said it is getting delivered today and doesnt have to be signed for so I'll have to contact my neighbor. What's disturbing is why is it getting delivered when they told me yesterday the package was damaged. Today UPS cant give me a reason why the exception error occurred yesterday and it wasnt delivered then and now it's out for delivery today. I dont know if Autel told them to do it or not as I cant get the information I'm asking for from UPS. Guess I'm going to have to call Autel again and see what they say. Also going to have to have my neighbor inspect the package because if that battery looks damaged in any way it's going to have to be placed in a bag and buried or something until I get back.

Last edited:
My guess is that UPS doesn't know which end is up. You probably got a customer service person who made an assumption of damage simply because of the exception - when in reality it could have been something as simple as the driver didn't get to deliver your package....truck problem, workload, sickness, lost in the truck, who knows. I find UPS screws up quite often.

Just inspect it when you get it. My 2 cents...
LP

Reactions: Pman
I am with my extended family so havent had time to follow up but in a nutshell the battery was delivered and the neighbor took a pic showing the box was a mess that looked like maybe it was kind of straightened out. I asked her to open it and she said it looked good. Wont know for sure until I get home late tomorrow. I've been in contact back and forth with Autel letting them know all of this. I would still really like to know who made the decision to still deliver it to me. I am expecting it to be fine.
Unfortunately I dont know anyone with a 3d printer. Looks like a simple part that I would like to have but I think it's kind of expensive to get a service that does that kind of thing. I would certainly pay someone on the forum to print and send me one though. I dont like having to put it down on the ground. Havent looked or asked anyone in the forum if they would/could do it.
I was going to fly where I'm at but no can do. I've seen both helicopters and planes fly what must be under 200' above her house a few times. Know theres a private airport somewhere close but havent actually looked it up.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SycamoreGroves