Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Bad RC Fan?

If your Evo is at Autel. Simply call them and ask that they verify it.
I'm going to send my case tech a nice email about what's going on here with all the complaints about the RC noise and sound. I'm going to ask for them to verify the working status of the RC. And if the OP does not mind I would like to cut and paste his post to my email.

Reactions: Ansia
I'm going to send my case tech a nice email about what's going on here with all the complaints about the RC noise and sound. I'm going to ask for them to verify the working status of the RC. And if the OP does not mind I would like to cut and paste his post to my email.

Feel free. 'Sydney' at Autel has already seen my video and was the one who told me it was wrong and offered to get it fixed. However, looking at these threads now, I worried they may have an SPQL issue.

LP

K, got my replacement just before 3PM and I believe the fan is acting completely normal. I dont really like how easily it changes sound as you move the rc around but it's the same thing that my laptops will do.
I asked here if the when the fan runs on it and the answer was when charging or in and that's not exactly what mine does. It changes speed as I'm charging it as needed and when if i turn it on off the charger it tuns for maybe 5 seconds and then stops exactly the same every time. I think it runs as needed off a thermistor or something.
As I'm typing and its charging it had slowed down and then it just turned off. I expect it will come back on as needed at the necessary rpm.
Both controllers said 99% charged but they take awhile to get to 100. In fact, the battery finished charging before the controller. Fan has not come back on in the last 15 minutes.
One thing I noticed this time is the antennas had a plastic wrap holding them together this time. Anyone know what that thin black foamy butterfly piece is that falls out from somewhere? Both times I have noticed one on the floor but didnt see where it came from. Was it in the gimbal cover?

Last edited:
I guess as long as it doesn't squeal, that's progress. Like you, I don't like how much the RPMs change when you move the controller. A little change is reasonable, but these things just sound excessive to me. I guess time will tell. As to the fan behavior while charging, I expect that as the battery gets closer to being fully charged, the charge current falls off - which would be typical. By the time it hits 100%, it's barely trickly charging, so no need for cooling. I've watched this effect on most of my other Lithium Ion devices. So that does sound normal.

I'll report on mine when I get it tomorrow....assuming UPS doesn't screw it up.
LP

I edited my last post.
Now I need to see if theres a thread showing the proper way to update everything and in the correct order. I've got every manual o could find about it on the site printed out.
Just got the 2 beeps that I'm 100% charged.

Ok - your questions.
1. The one I just took back also came with the plastic wrap on the antennas. Assuming the one you originally got was really new (not a return), not sure why it didn't have it too.
2. That little black butterfly thing surpised me too. It sat right behind the gimbal cover between the cover and the body - and the rear legs were resting on it. I'm assuming it was an attempt to cushion for shipping.
3. I'd probably do the manual update. Just format the SD card, copy the firmware update file to the root, turn on the controller, then the Evo, wait for them to connect, then insert the card into the Evo. It will update both automatically.

LP

BTW - did both of your Rugged Bundles have the orange plastic Autel cable tie-like seal through the locking ring on one side of the case when you got them? If not, my guess is they were opened by someone...

LP

Theres a procedure you have to go through for each battery too.

This IS a beautiful controller so I dont get the cheap handles and antennas. Weird....

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafPeeper
From what I've read there haven't been any battery updates yet, so no need. But even so, if there are, you just do the same thing with each battery installed, and it will only update what needs to be updated....at least that's have I've understood it all along.

LP

Well I stopped and didnt do anything more as I realized I'm burned out for today. I have the controller and one battery charged so I can start up again tomorrow. Kind of funny I've yet to turn the actual Evo on as I didnt do it yesterday either. Couldnt bring myself to do it after the controller issue as there was no point.
Oh, thanks for answering some questions I appreciate it.
Wondering what others do to prevent blade scrapes across the top when folded. Think I'll put an soft lens cleaner between them. I might also make some sleeves to hold the 4 sets of props together too. I did that with my breezes so they wouldnt flop around and I could get the case closed. Just take pieces of shrink tubing and heat as needed for a nice fit.

I do one of two things to prevent the scrapes - 1) I put a lens cloth between them and the body as you suggest if I'm in a hurry, or 2) I use 2 prop bags that my DJI props came in and I just slide them over the Evo props before closing the lid.

BTW - did your replacement bundle have the orange Autel seal tie on the case corner? Just wondering if that is a standard thing so I have something else to worry about if it's missing when I get mine tomorrow. ;)

LP

Yes it came with it in place. Believe me, it was the first thing I looked for.
I could have sworn I had seen a video maybe even from Autel about updating the smart batteries.

Thanks.

Yes, I remember the same about the batteries. I think I got it from this thread -> Battery Firmware updates. I'm not sure where I read that there haven't been any battery updates - because searching now I don't think it's true. It looks like there have been some updates along the way.

LP

Contacted CS and they want me to send a video of the RC and fan noise. Autel should post a video of what a normal RC fan sounds like. This seems to be a common issue. That and antenna cracking. Disappointed the antennas are pretty cheap and what you would expect on a $90 back yard drone.

Contacted CS and they want me to send a video of the RC and fan noise. Autel should post a video of what a normal RC fan sounds like. This seems to be a common issue. That and antenna cracking. Disappointed the antennas are pretty cheap and what you would expect on a $90 back yard drone.
I differ from your opinion. A $90 drone has a flexible, almost unbreakeable antenna.

Reactions: LeafPeeper

And for the record, where did your Evo come from?

LP

So my replacement got here today. Charging as I type this. Remote seems much better - fan sounds a little smoother, and although RPMs do vary when I move the remote around, it is NOWHERE near as severe as the one I returned. Doesn't seem any quieter though. Case came through with the Autel seal tie.

For some reason, this Evo seems a little sturdier too - doesn't creak as much when I open the legs. It looks like it came loaded with firmware V1.3.3.17, so based on the firmware release dates, my guess is that it was built sometime after Oct 2018 and before Jan 2019.

Will post an update later....

LP

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller