Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

AUTEL EVO II Pro 6k camera sensor

ñako

Reaction score
Hello.

In order to do some Photogrammetry, I need to know the size of the sensor (in mm) of the 6k camera in my EVO II Pro to calculate the Ground Sample Distance of my orthomosaic. I have seen already that it is said in the app missions but I want to be sure.

I have found that EVO II Pro camera builds a SONY IMX383.
Please, could you confirm me that is this the sensor built in the 6k camera, please?

If Sony IMX383 is the sensor, there is something that I do not understand when checking the specifications within the SONY product information sheet (attached).

It says that the pixel size = 2,4 µm.
With a maximal sensor size of 5472 X 3648 pixels, it only reaches a dimension of 13,1328 mm x 8,7552 mm. These dimensions are far from the 1" size it is suppoused to be, isn´t it? An inch is equal to 25,4 mm if I am not wrong.

I expected to find a 36x24 or 36x25,4 mm full frame sensor.

Could you explain what am I doing wrong, please?

Greetings,
Ignacio

Attachments

• IMX383-AAQK_Flyer.pdf
    127.4 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: agrofactory
You're posting this as a quasi-engineering question, but it is a question that has been asked and answered countless times. Here, from19 years ago, for instance:
The 1" Vidicon tube naming convention is not a problem unique to Autel Evo II Pro

Hello.

In order to do some Photogrammetry, I need to know the size of the sensor (in mm) of the 6k camera in my EVO II Pro to calculate the Ground Sample Distance of my orthomosaic. I have seen already that it is said in the app missions but I want to be sure.

I have found that EVO II Pro camera builds a SONY IMX383.
Please, could you confirm me that is this the sensor built in the 6k camera, please?

If Sony IMX383 is the sensor, there is something that I do not understand when checking the specifications within the SONY product information sheet (attached).

It says that the pixel size = 2,4 µm.
With a maximal sensor size of 5472 X 3648 pixels, it only reaches a dimension of 13,1328 mm x 8,7552 mm. These dimensions are far from the 1" size it is suppoused to be, isn´t it? An inch is equal to 25,4 mm if I am not wrong.

I expected to find a 36x24 or 36x25,4 mm full frame sensor.

Could you explain what am I doing wrong, please?

Greetings,
Ignacio
Hello Ignacio,

How you were able to know the specific sensor that the EVO II Pro mounts? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the true focal lenght of the sensor (not the 35 mm equivalent) in order to calculate properly GSD. I know Autoexplorer automatically gives you the GSD but I would like to know the fundaments involved in it.

Thanks

Hello Ignacio,

How you were able to know the specific sensor that the EVO II Pro mounts? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the true focal lenght of the sensor (not the 35 mm equivalent) in order to calculate properly GSD. I know Autoexplorer automatically gives you the GSD but I would like to know the fundaments involved in it.

Thanks
Hi,

You can find it with a small research in internet like the Amazon.com website Amazon.com
And get the specs in pdf in SONY website: https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products/common/pdf/IMX383-AAQK_Flyer.pdf

If you could find out why the GSD in Autel explorer app is different form the one you get with the formula, just let me know please.

Greetings

How you were able to know the specific sensor that the EVO II Pro mounts?
It was widely reported when the EVO 2 Pro was released that the sensor was the Sony IMX383. The info originated from Autel to express the quality of the camera. I have not seen the true focal length of the camera posted anywhere.

Two brand new members discussing the most arcane discrepancies sounds line one troll talking to their many selves. Who is Ignacio?

Two brand new members discussing the most arcane discrepancies sounds line one troll talking to their many selves. Who is Ignacio?
Ignacio is the the original poster from last March. He signed his post.

All I see in this thread is a couple of people trying to get some information so that they can use their EVO 2 Pro in photogrammetry applications........ trolls usually jump right into the complaints.

The actual focal length is important for figuring out overlap between pictures.... I imagine Autel should have this info available, if you can reach the right person. The EVO 2 should be good for this type of work though it is an electronic shutter. The long flight times are pretty advantageous.

I was just trying to fully understand how Autel explorer app calculate GSD value since there's no official info about true focal lenght of the sensor on the website, documents, etc. Maybe I'm naive expecting to get that kind of specs from the manufacter itself... or maybe just look on the wrong place.

I don't get why that is a troll thing.
It was widely reported when the EVO 2 Pro was released that the sensor was the Sony IMX383. The info originated from Autel to express the quality of the camera. I have not seen the true focal length of the camera posted anywhere.

Well, the only info about the sensor that I could get it's from online stores. Again, just trying to get some official info about it.

I agree with Ignacio, the original author of this thread.

The availability of the actual camera information you need to calculate the GSD for an EVO II Enterprise drone is very difficult. I believe in trust and verify. As important as GSD is to accuracy and quality of photogrammetry work outputs, I have trouble trusting a number calculated by the software in the background. Autel has marketed too many different models of the EVO II product line so it is hard to tell which camera specifications apply for the non-thermal EVO II Enterprise V2 which I purchased and am waiting on delivery this weekend.. The EVO II Pro camera appears to be slightly different than the EVO II Enterprise V2 model.

I have found the following in doing a Google Search for the EVO II Pro 6K camera (Pix4D):

Pix4D Supported drones
https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045923031-Supported-drones-and-cameras-PIX4Dreact

SXT705_10.6_5472x3648 (RGB)???

This does not appear to match the camera specs listed on Autel's websites. The solution is probably easy. If a forum member with an EVO II Enterprise V2 model would post the portion of a quality report from whatever photogrammetry software they use, the camera data should be listed to determine the solutions to the formulas below:

GSD = Sensor Width * Working Distance / True Focal Length * Image Width
Crop Factor = 35mm / Digital Sensor Width
True Focal Length = 35mm Equivalent Focal Length / Crop Factor
Motion Blur = Camera Shutter Interval (s) x Drone Speed (m/s)
Optimal Flight Speed = Image Interval / Camera Interval
Sensor Width = 2*(Focal Length*TAN((0.5*Horz Field of View)/57.296))

Thanks in advance and I look forward to some feedback from the more experienced forum members.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials