Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

AUTEL EVO II: IMU Calibration: How to: Video tutorial

For the 2.5.12 Just released. The order is gimbal, IMU, compass. The limp gimbal issue you had on 2.5.11 was due to going out of order. Other people have reported the same gimbal issue.
Actually the limp gimbal I experienced was on 2.5.12. A quick restart and all fine. I still get a gimbal not ready but only for a few seconds and then plug in my phone for the app and everything is good to go.

Actually the limp gimbal I experienced was on 2.5.12. A quick restart and all fine. I still get a gimbal not ready but only for a few seconds and then plug in my phone for the app and everything is good to go.

When you initialize the IMU calibration, the gimbal does go limp until it finishes.
If your having issues after performing each calibration in order, then yes it seems like they haven't fixed it yet. Your not the only person who has posted it did not fix the gimbal.

Reactions: DadCorso80
Yep, I understand why it happens during IMU. Just thinking that the order of calibration may not matter as long as you do all three and that the gimbal notification is very brief and goes away, no big deal.

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
Now I have tried to do this IMU calibration "hundred times" - stuck on point 3. Have reinstalled the newest iOs Explorer app. I have followed the video instructions . Used to IMU calibrations as a user of DJI drones for years.

Here I am totally stuck at point 3

Well apparently they just put out another update. 2.5.1.2. It has the calibration order different with gimbal, IMU and then compass. Also the batteries got an upgrade. So if you have multiple batteries you have to do multiple updates. I just got done doing mine three times.
Thanks, good to know about repeating the updates for the batteries. I was getting annoyed with the repeated update requests...

I am checking with Autel support on if you have to hold the drone vertical starting with step 3, or you just let it sit on the arms with hands off. Typically you want to hold vertical, but I want confirmation directly from support on this. It would seem to me that you would want hands off, to let the IMU settle on the calibration setting, and the engineers would program what the angle is supposed to be when set on the arms....just a guess. Will post the reply from support when they answer.

*why is IMU calibration crucial? The IMU tells the drone what is level, straight up, down, sideways etc. Here is the "rub"... went through this a long time ago on one of my first drones doing an IMU calibration. You need an absolutely level table, or as close as you can get. When the drone "sits" on its legs with hand off...is this level, as in level in flight, or is there an angle as it sits? The IMU doesn't know it is sitting on a table. You are telling the IMU that this is perfectly level, so that in flight, it will try to keep this setting. What happens if you are off kilter on any of these settings? The IMU will tell the flight controller..."hey...you aren't level" and try to compensate....the flight controller will check GPS and downward sensors and say...wait a minute....we aren't supposed to be moving...and compensate...thus, fights break out between the two, and the drone is constantly trying to correct all the time, wasting CPU cycles. Back in the day, we used to sit our drones as level as possible, meaning the motors are level to the drone, and use a bubble level on the drone body to make sure that the drone body is perfectly level. Once this is achieved for the IMU, you could basically go into ATTI mode with no downward sensors, and hover with hands off sticks and the drone would not move, provided there was no wind, since the IMU would not fight to maintain level....*

Ok, just got a reply from support....Here is what I would recommend....don't hold it. When holding it, no matter how steady you "think" you are, you aren't. I would start with a flat, level table. What I plan on doing is, using a bubble level on the drone body, finding out where each position is perfectly level... step 1, step 2 etc. For 3, 4 etc, I will use the drone against the wall, so it is sitting at 90 degrees. Is this necessary? Probably not, but it can't hurt and won't take much more time...level doesn't always mean level as it sits with hands off. So bottom line, you want vertical at 90 degrees on each placement and as close to level as possible. Support said to hold it, but I won't. Use a wall or some other object so the IMU gets a solid non-moving reading.

*one more reply from support:
order of calibrations:
IMU
Compass
gimbal

The reasoning is, if you do gimbal before compass, when you do compass, you may throw off the gimbal when rotating for compass calibration. (and may need to do it again)This makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: PingSpike
Which differs completely from this: The official order in which to perform the calibrations

Come on Autel, which is it?? ?‍♂️
I know right? It does make perfect sense to do gimbal last though, while the drone is sitting level on the ground.

After leveling, its looking good, and not hard to do, if you use a level table against a 90Degree wall. Props off. Drone sitting on arms facing you #1, drone body is very level. #2, upside down. Again, lay flat on the table, hands off. #3, sideways. Sitting on motors, hold against the wall flat. Like it landed on the wall sideways, same with #4. just rotate...flat against the wall. #5 face down, flat against the wall, all legs touching, unfolded, and #6, just rotate it again, all 4 feet against the wall. This should give you very accurate results, and easy to do...no guess work!!

Reactions: PingSpike

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller