Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!

Autel Evo II GPS Issues

TheMann58

Reaction score
I get the “GPS Signal Weak” warning and ”There may be some deviation between the landing point and the home point. Please pay attention when the aircraft is landing” pop-up message on EVERY single takeoff with my Autel Evo II Pro. This is VERY annoying and makes me concerned there is a problem with my Autel Evo II. It may also. be a firmware bug or a nag warning as I can get a precision landing within 6” of takeoff point on about 75% of Return to Home attempts. But maybe I have a GPS receiver problem on my Autel Evo II Pro.

More concerning to me, on the remote controller (RC) I NEVER get a GPS signal strength higher than 3 out of 5 bars even when my Autel Evo II Pro is 400 feet in the air on a clear sunny day in a wide open field! That seems to indicate a serious problem with the GPS module in the Evo II.

Does anyone else have this same issue with only getting a maximum of 3 out of 5 bars GPS signal strength on the remote control? Are you also getting the “GPS Signal Weak” warning message on EVERY takeoff even on clear sunny days in wide open spaces?

I have seen a number of YouTube videos of the RC showing 4 out of 5 bars when used with their Autel Evo II aircraft outdoors. So, obviously, it is possible to get more than 3 bars of GPS signal strength on at least some Autel Evo IIs. But not on mine.

Is anyone consistently getting 4 or 5 bars of GPS signal strength indicated on their Evo II remote control when flying on clear days in open areas?

TheMann58

Reaction score
How many satellites are you showing?
Good question. I should have included that information.

On carefully reviewing my last 15 Evo II Pro flight records recorded in south Texas and in rural central Illinois, the records consistently show 11-15 satellites on the ground and 14-18 satellites in the air. So, my Evo II is seeing an adequate and the expected number of GPS satellites.

However, the flight records also 22F54352-50DD-4EA4-AA05-1E44B56CBA53.jpeg show that the GPS signal strength is firmly fixed at 3 bars (out of 5) throughout the entire flight. 4 or 5 bars of signal strength is NEVER seen! Almost all of these flights were on clear, sunny days in open areas.

parkgt

Reaction score
Good question. I should have included that information.

On carefully reviewing my last 15 Evo II Pro flight records recorded in south Texas and in rural central Illinois, the records consistently show 11-15 satellites on the ground and 14-18 satellites in the air. So, my Evo II is seeing an adequate and the expected number of GPS satellites.

However, the flight records also View attachment 7964 show that the GPS signal strength is firmly fixed at 3 bars (out of 5) throughout the entire flight. 4 or 5 bars of signal strength is NEVER seen! Almost all of these flights were on clear, sunny days in open areas.
I don't take off with less than eight and usually gain some more with height and don't worry if there are 10 or more.

Just check how many before lifting off, don't go by the bars.

TheMann58

Reaction score
I don't take off with less than eight and usually gain some more with height and don't worry if there are 10 or more.

Just check how many before lifting off, don't go by the bars.
I’ve been flying DJI and Autel drones for 4.5 years - I understand the process. I’m trying to determine if I have a performance issue with regard to the GPS sensor in my new Autel Evo II Pro as I am never seeing more than 3 out of 5 bars of GPS signal level even when flying 400 feet elevation in wide open fields on sunny days. And I am also getting a “GPS signal weak” warning message on EVERY takeoff in locations and conditions where I should be getting a very strong GPS signal from 14-18 GPS satellites.

How many bars of GPS signal level are you seeing on the remote control with your Evo II in the air on clear days? You can also check any of your flight records for this information throughout the flight - signal level is recorded and displayed adjacent to the # of GPS satellites locked.

parkgt

Reaction score
I’ve been flying DJI and Autel drones for 4.5 years - I understand the process. I’m trying to determine if I have a performance issue with regard to the GPS sensor in my new Autel Evo II Pro as I am never seeing more than 3 out of 5 bars of GPS signal level even when flying 400 feet elevation in wide open fields on sunny days. And I am also getting a “GPS signal weak” warning message on EVERY takeoff in locations and conditions where I should be getting a very strong GPS signal from 14-18 GPS satellites.

How many bars of GPS signal level are you seeing on the remote control with your Evo II in the air on clear days? You can also check any of your flight records for this information throughout the flight - signal level is recorded and displayed adjacent to the # of GPS satellites locked.
I never bother with the bars; I look at the number of Sats connected. Bars don't mean anything to me, just some assignment of Autel's. Numbers matter.

Technageek

Reaction score
I have the same issue and it gets worse when flying over water. When over water dynamic tracking and smart orbit stop working altogether. Dynamic track starts to lock on, but then just says it has ended, and smart orbit tells me I have a weak gps signal.
I would also like to add, this is in contrast to how my Evo 1 behaves. I can set both of them in the same location but on the Evo 2 it is constantly losing and gaining satellite lock
As for the Evo it locks to at least 14 and stays rock steady.

Last edited:

Technageek

Reaction score
I have the same issue and it gets worse when flying over water. When over water dynamic tracking and smart orbit stop working altogether. Dynamic track starts to lock on, but then just says it has ended, and smart orbit tells me I have a weak gps signal.
I would also like to add, this is in contrast to how my Evo 1 behaves. I can set both of them in the same location but on the Evo 2 it is constantly losing and gaining satellite lock
As for the Evo it locks to at least 14 and stays rock steady.
Update. I have opened a trouble ticket with Autel.
So far they have had me send screenshots of firmware and various settings.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieMikeWhiskey