Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Evo II 8k - Is my camera really ok...?

luxemdrone

Reaction score
Hi forum!

Happy new year and all of that!

I recently got an Autel Evo II 8k, so far the experience with Autel's service etc has really been great!
I do fly FPV (not DJI FPV - analog but with DJI Osmo action/pocket) as well, and flew DJI drones for many years until I finally got the Autel.

Generally I am quite pleased with the drone but I have noticed some things that I do not think are normal really - I'd just like check if I'm working the camera wrong or something.

I noticed the images and videos were quite washed out - both when shooting in low light and normal light.
In low light black dots, in normal light white dots, during normal light with ISO100 and shutter speed x 2 FPS-rate.
Initially I thought, ok let me just get some ND-filters and we're all good - got the Freewell 8-pack - but I still see the same washed out when shooting and even exaggerating with the shutter speed - in normal mode and LOG.

I also noticed on occasion the colors start "jumping" I fly normally and red, blue, green, purple overlays appear (will link to an example below).

Here are a couple of clips (1.6 Gb) :
MAX_0028.MP4 and 11 more files

One of the clips (snow covered landscape) shows the colors "jumping".
The rest of the clips show
2,7k ISO 100 then changing the FPS and shutter speed accordingly to 2x FPS - this is with and ND-filter - ND8
The LOG looks just completely washed out, I would expect some washout in low light with high ISO and low shutter speed - but as you'll see even in good light it I was kind of expecting more.

What I hope is that this is just me not knowing how to operate the camera properly, secondly the "jumping" colors - did anyone see this?

Thanks forum!

Hi forum!

Happy new year and all of that!

I recently got an Autel Evo II 8k, so far the experience with Autel's service etc has really been great!
I do fly FPV (not DJI FPV - analog but with DJI Osmo action/pocket) as well, and flew DJI drones for many years until I finally got the Autel.

Generally I am quite pleased with the drone but I have noticed some things that I do not think are normal really - I'd just like check if I'm working the camera wrong or something.

I noticed the images and videos were quite washed out - both when shooting in low light and normal light.
In low light black dots, in normal light white dots, during normal light with ISO100 and shutter speed x 2 FPS-rate.
Initially I thought, ok let me just get some ND-filters and we're all good - got the Freewell 8-pack - but I still see the same washed out when shooting and even exaggerating with the shutter speed - in normal mode and LOG.

I also noticed on occasion the colors start "jumping" I fly normally and red, blue, green, purple overlays appear (will link to an example below).

2,7k ISO 100 then changing the FPS and shutter speed accordingly to 2x FPS - this is with and ND-filter - ND8
The LOG looks just completely washed out, I would expect some washout in low light with high ISO and low shutter speed - but as you'll see even in good light it I was kind of expecting more.

What I hope is that this is just me not knowing how to operate the camera properly, secondly the "jumping" colors - did anyone see this?

Thanks forum!

Unfortunately I had no way to tell from the clip names that you uploaded which clips had which problems so I just randomly downloaded a few and looked at them. The Max_0028 and Max_0043 clips looked fine to me except they were about 2 stops under exposed. The Max_0494 clip definitely has some problems, extremely noisy with major color shifts flashing in the footage. What was the ISO for that clip? It almost seemed like it was 12K ISO or higher. For the colors, are you set to AWB or Daylight WB? Even with WB set to AWB you should not have problems like those but you could try setting the WB to Daylight and testing the snow scene again.....also I live in FL so I don't have many oppourtunities to film snow, it is possible that the cold itself affected the sensor.

There were too many other clips for me to see the other problems because I don't have time to download more. As far as what your WB should be, this post will shed some light on the White Balance that I use, the ND filters were probably a waste of money and as you saw would not fix any of your problems, you can read this post on why I never use ND filters with drone cameras, and I noticed you shot at 24FPS, you can read here on why I always use 30FPS.

None of those things however, would cause the problems that I saw in the clip MAX_0494. If you recently purchased the drone I would try to exchange it immediately before your return window expires. If somehow that clip was shot at ISO6400 or ISO12K+ then I would reshoot at it ISO100, but I doubt you actually shot it with an ISO that high. But like I said previously, the cold could be affecting the sensor or the ISO or WB settings could be really off.

Autel LOG is supposed to be very flat, I have the EVO II 6K so I can't speak for the 8K, but my experience with the 6K and grading the LOG footage has been excellent. If you do not have a decent NLE however, you could have problems grading the LOG footage, Davinci Resolve is what I use.

I did not see any problems with the MAX_0028 clip, below is a screen shot after color grading it in DR.

MAX_0028-ScreenShot.JPG

Ok I couldn't resist so I kept checking out a few more of the clips. They all look fine to me except the snow clip which I still think may have been due to the cold. I believe the MAX_0048 clip was your LOG clip and it color graded with no problems in DR; so it is no flatter than it should be and looks similar out of camera as the footage that comes out of my 6K. The colors also look a lot more natural to me than the ones with the color profile which is why I always shoot in LOG.

MAX_0048.JPG

Last edited:
Hi forum!
Hello and welcome
Likewise, got an E2P over a year ago as well as have a regular E2 (e.g. 8K), as well as several DJIs including DJI FPV, also OSMO 3 gimbal as well as isteadyp4 for hero10.

Right off the cuff before jumping ahead that sounds like in log mode, particular in normal light, could be other settings as well. What I noticed with Evo IIs vs say DJI, Gopro, samsung and others is Autel tends to saturate reds, magentas which can be adjusted via settings.
Hmmm, have not seen the back or white dots, however have seen "zebra stripes" (if enabled e.g. over exposure warning, lower right corner brings the options up). I see this when for example over exposing or other settings not correct. Note that with the same options (lower right you can also bring up histogram, grids, h265/h264, and other settings).
From what you are describing does not sound ND related per say, sounds either a camera issue, controller, aircraft, app fw/sw version issue, or camera setting.
Have seen this on my display yet whats get recorded is ok, on my display tends to happen if signal disrupts or weak. I also have my display transmission settings set to smooth vs. HD.

What does the log look like when you apply color grade/correct, still washed out?
Have not seen the colors jump in recorded footage.
Have you tried bench/table test of aircraft/drone indoors? e.g. take props off, setup on a non metalic surface (reduces chance of getting annoying messages), power up controller and app, then power up aircraft (remember to take gimbal cover off), then try different settings. Try photo, set color to none, try different settings, try color log, adjust settings, also experiment with style, adjust sharp, cont, sat, see what you get. then do the same with video. You may run into something like where you get your video dialed in, then when you switch to photo, its washed out or overexposed or just yuck, or, vice versa, photo dialed in and switch to video and looks like yuck. So idea is get used to using the camera settings via the app and do when on the ground so you are not also focused on flying. Note that modes like pano, etc wont work unless in the air, however take your time and experiment with the settings and see what you get.
Thanks forum!
Good luck

Hi!

Thank you for that detailed reply!

For the MAX0494 I do not remember the ISO exactly, but I have seen the flashing colors (purple, red, blue, etc) in other clips as well, this is from my first ever flight, where it wasn't cold at all:

In many of the clips I underexposed just to see what would happen to the "grainy" colors, in for example clip MAX_0029.MP4, this is what I mean:
Autel forum.png
If you have a look when the clip is playing, it's a lot of noise in my opinon.

I underexposed on purpose just to see if the noise, also hoping the ND-filters would help but seems like it changed nothing as you mention.

I usually try to shoot in ISO between 100 and 400, rarely auto.

Let me know what you think of the noice, if my expectations are off but I'd expect it to perform better, see this clip for example:

There is a lot of noice at the bottom, on the trees - but again maybe grading would fix, I used ISO100 and I think shutter 1/120 with ND8.

Thank you so much! So far I must say the supporting structure around the Autel-drones is amazin!

Unfortunately I had no way to tell from the clip names that you uploaded which clips had which problems so I just randomly downloaded a few and looked at them. The Max_0028 and Max_0043 clips looked fine to me except they were about 2 stops under exposed. The Max_0494 clip definitely has some problems, extremely noisy with major color shifts flashing in the footage. What was the ISO for that clip? It almost seemed like it was 12K ISO or higher. For the colors, are you set to AWB or Daylight WB? Even with WB set to AWB you should not have problems like those but you could try setting the WB to Daylight and testing the snow scene again.....also I live in FL so I don't have many oppourtunities to film snow, it is possible that the cold itself affected the sensor.

There were too many other clips for me to see the other problems because I don't have time to download more. As far as what your WB should be, this post will shed some light on the White Balance that I use, the ND filters were probably a waste of money and as you saw would not fix any of your problems, you can read this post on why I never use ND filters with drone cameras, and I noticed you shot at 24FPS, you can read here on why I always use 30FPS.

None of those things however, would cause the problems that I saw in the clip MAX_0494. If you recently purchased the drone I would try to exchange it immediately before your return window expires. If somehow that clip was shot at ISO6400 or ISO12K+ then I would reshoot at it ISO100, but I doubt you actually shot it with an ISO that high. But like I said previously, the cold could be affecting the sensor or the ISO or WB settings could be really off.

Autel LOG is supposed to be very flat, I have the EVO II 6K so I can't speak for the 8K, but my experience with the 6K and grading the LOG footage has been excellent. If you do not have a decent NLE however, you could have problems grading the LOG footage, Davinci Resolve is what I use.

I did not see any problems with the MAX_0028 clip, below is a screen shot after color grading it in DR.

View attachment 12769

Ok I couldn't resist so I kept checking out a few more of the clips. They all look fine to me except the snow clip which I still think may have been due to the cold. I believe the MAX_0048 clip was your LOG clip and it color graded with no problems in DR; so it is no flatter than it should be and looks similar out of camera as the footage that comes out of my 6K. The colors also look a lot more natural to me than the ones with the color profile which is why I always shoot in LOG.

View attachment 12771

Hi there!

Thanks for your reply!

I can imagine there are multiple people saying "compared to DJI Autel is..." but as DJI is the only comparison I have I can't say I had these types of issues with DJI.

Have a quick look at this one for example:

You can see that the trees at the bottom of the frame are quite noisy, that is in ISO100 60FPS 1/120 (I think) and with ND8.

For me it is more leaning towards a camera-issue, have a look at this clip as well - that's the first flight:

You see the colors jumping and flashing.

I still can't rule out that I am not savvy enough with the camera but from what I saw on youtube the images form this model are amazing, with much clearer shots and a lot less noise.

Let me know what you think of the clips if you have any ideas!

Hello and welcome

Likewise, got an E2P over a year ago as well as have a regular E2 (e.g. 8K), as well as several DJIs including DJI FPV, also OSMO 3 gimbal as well as isteadyp4 for hero10.

Right off the cuff before jumping ahead that sounds like in log mode, particular in normal light, could be other settings as well. What I noticed with Evo IIs vs say DJI, Gopro, samsung and others is Autel tends to saturate reds, magentas which can be adjusted via settings.

Hmmm, have not seen the back or white dots, however have seen "zebra stripes" (if enabled e.g. over exposure warning, lower right corner brings the options up). I see this when for example over exposing or other settings not correct. Note that with the same options (lower right you can also bring up histogram, grids, h265/h264, and other settings).

From what you are describing does not sound ND related per say, sounds either a camera issue, controller, aircraft, app fw/sw version issue, or camera setting.

Have seen this on my display yet whats get recorded is ok, on my display tends to happen if signal disrupts or weak. I also have my display transmission settings set to smooth vs. HD.

What does the log look like when you apply color grade/correct, still washed out?

Have not seen the colors jump in recorded footage.
Have you tried bench/table test of aircraft/drone indoors? e.g. take props off, setup on a non metalic surface (reduces chance of getting annoying messages), power up controller and app, then power up aircraft (remember to take gimbal cover off), then try different settings. Try photo, set color to none, try different settings, try color log, adjust settings, also experiment with style, adjust sharp, cont, sat, see what you get. then do the same with video. You may run into something like where you get your video dialed in, then when you switch to photo, its washed out or overexposed or just yuck, or, vice versa, photo dialed in and switch to video and looks like yuck. So idea is get used to using the camera settings via the app and do when on the ground so you are not also focused on flying. Note that modes like pano, etc wont work unless in the air, however take your time and experiment with the settings and see what you get.

Good luck

Hi!

Thank you for that detailed reply!

For the MAX0494 I do not remember the ISO exactly, but I have seen the flashing colors (purple, red, blue, etc) in other clips as well, this is from my first ever flight, where it wasn't cold at all:

In many of the clips I underexposed just to see what would happen to the "grainy" colors, in for example clip MAX_0029.MP4, this is what I mean:
View attachment 12772
If you have a look when the clip is playing, it's a lot of noise in my opinon.

I underexposed on purpose just to see if the noise, also hoping the ND-filters would help but seems like it changed nothing as you mention.

I usually try to shoot in ISO between 100 and 400, rarely auto.

Let me know what you think of the noice, if my expectations are off but I'd expect it to perform better, see this clip for example:

There is a lot of noice at the bottom, on the trees - but again maybe grading would fix, I used ISO100 and I think shutter 1/120 with ND8.

Thank you so much! So far I must say the supporting structure around the Autel-drones is amazin!

I think you have two things going on:

• Colors - There is definitely something strange going on with the colors flashing and jumping, if it wasn't cold that day then I would definitely lean towards trying to return or exchange the drone, I have never had any of my drones do that including the EVO II 6K. I would still recommend trying a fixed Daylight WB, but it looks like a sensor problem to me or maybe a firmware problem.
  • Noise - I think you are mistaking oversharpening for noise. In the shadows it looks like to me the image is way oversharpened and as the portion of the footage with the most detail changes (in this case it was the trees) that oversharpening looks like noise. I always shoot in LOG and turn down the sharpness to -2 for this reason. I also always shoot at F11 to try to further reduce the sharpness but I think the 8K has a fixed aperture. The one time I really did see noise was in the snow clip and it was pretty bad in that one, but it could be due to having to push the shadows a bit. If it really is noise (hard to tell since it is so oversharpened) then that is another indicator something is wrong with the sensor or the gain circuitry.
Honestly, if I were you and it sounds like you want the best image out of your EVO, I would return it if at all possible and opt for the 6K instead. Or, since the EVO III is right around the corner I would even just return it and wait for the EVO III. There is no way I would keep a drone with the footage that is coming out of yours....way oversharpened, noisy (snow scene at a minimum), and the color problems.

Below is a video that I shot when I first got the EVO II 6K to test it in everything from midday to night and it did not exhibit any of these problems.

Last edited:
Hi!

Thank you for your input, much appreciated!

Before I dig into that, the clip you uploaded - WOW! That's what I'm talking about!!!👏

If I understood it correctly the 6k has a larger sensor, and I think you are right about the aperture on the 8k-fixed.

I have actually contacted Autel, so we will see what they say - I still cannot rule out user-error but for sure something is not right here!
You could be right about the noise/over sharpening, I read your post earlier today and went to the same spot for a flight.

Here are some clips where I go from -3 to 3 in sharpness for LOG and normal:

WB set to cloudy
Res 2.7k
ISO 100
FPS 120
Shutter 1/120
ND8

To me, I do not really see a huge difference but I am currently on holiday in Prague and only have a pretty old macbook air to watch the clips on.

Thanks for your input once again!

I think you have two things going on:

• Colors - There is definitely something strange going on with the colors flashing and jumping, if it wasn't cold that day then I would definitely lean towards trying to return or exchange the drone, I have never had any of my drones do that including the EVO II 6K. I would still recommend trying a fixed Daylight WB, but it looks like a sensor problem to me or maybe a firmware problem.
  • Noise - I think you are mistaking oversharpening for noise. In the shadows it looks like to me the image is way oversharpened and as the portion of the footage with the most detail changes (in this case it was the trees) that oversharpening looks like noise. I always shoot in LOG and turn down the sharpness to -2 for this reason. I also always shoot at F11 to try to further reduce the sharpness but I think the 8K has a fixed aperture. The one time I really did see noise was in the snow clip and it was pretty bad in that one, but it could be due to having to push the shadows a bit. If it really is noise (hard to tell since it is so oversharpened) then that is another indicator something is wrong with the sensor or the gain circuitry.
Honestly, if I were you and it sounds like you want the best image out of your EVO, I would return it if at all possible and opt for the 6K instead. Or, since the EVO III is right around the corner I would even just return it and wait for the EVO III. There is no way I would keep a drone with the footage that is coming out of yours....way oversharpened, noisy (snow scene at a minimum), and the color problems.

Below is a video that I shot when I first got the EVO II 6K to test it in everything from midday to night and it did not exhibit any of these problems.

Hi!

Thank you for your input, much appreciated!

Before I dig into that, the clip you uploaded - WOW! That's what I'm talking about!!!👏

If I understood it correctly the 6k has a larger sensor, and I think you are right about the aperture on the 8k-fixed.

I have actually contacted Autel, so we will see what they say - I still cannot rule out user-error but for sure something is not right here!
You could be right about the noise/over sharpening, I read your post earlier today and went to the same spot for a flight.

Here are some clips where I go from -3 to 3 in sharpness for LOG and normal:

WB set to cloudy
Res 2.7k
ISO 100
FPS 120
Shutter 1/120
ND8

To me, I do not really see a huge difference but I am currently on holiday in Prague and only have a pretty old macbook air to watch the clips on.

Thanks for your input once again!

I checked out a few of the clips, I think there is something wrong with the sensor or maybe the gain circuitry. There is definitely noise in the lower right and left corners of some of the clips even in the -3 LOG clip. If you are still within the return window for the vendor where you purchsed it from I would definitely try to return it immediately. If not, then you are stuck dealing with Autel's customer service. Decreasing sharpness reduces the visibilty of the problem, but having to deal with blurry mush for your video footage is a poor solution to this problem if you ask me.

Even if you are not withn the return window, I would reach out to the vendor where you got it and try to exchange it at least. The 6K does have a larger sensor and a variable Aperture; it is definitely the better choice for higher quality video and photos.

With all of that being said, I do not have the 8K and have not looked at video footage from the 8K and so maybe we are both just expecting too much from the sensor so if I were you I'd look at some videos from other owners of the 8K to verify their footage looks normal.

I checked out a few of the clips, I think there is something wrong with the sensor or maybe the gain circuitry. There is definitely noise in the lower right and left corners of some of the clips even in the -3 LOG clip. If you are still within the return window for the vendor where you purchsed it from I would definitely try to return it immediately. If not, then you are stuck dealing with Autel's customer service. Decreasing sharpness reduces the visibilty of the problem, but having to deal with blurry mush for your video footage is a poor solution to this problem if you ask me.

Even if you are not withn the return window, I would reach out to the vendor where you got it and try to exchange it at least. The 6K does have a larger sensor and a variable Aperture; it is definitely the better choice for higher quality video and photos.

With all of that being said, I do not have the 8K and have not looked at video footage from the 8K and so maybe we are both just expecting too much from the sensor so if I were you I'd look at some videos from other owners of the 8K to verify their footage looks normal.
Thanks for getting back to me, I agree with you about the sharpness - mushy blur is a good description.

I am already in contact with Autel's customer service, my experience with them so far is quite good so fingers crossed!

Once I know more I will report back to the forum!

Stay safe everyone!

Reactions: gschulzuio

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials