Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

AUTEL being used at our local police dept

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe there should be laws that govern the proper usage of drone by government entities such as these for example found on this page:

I'm sorry, but I might have to disagree with your there. I'm in favor of whatever law enforcement needs to get the bad guys. There are already police heli's overhead with WAY better cameras than are on our drones... so that begs the question - how is using a drone different, other than (potential) faster response, less cost to whatever agency and potentially safer for those in close proximity below?

I'm sorry, but I might have to disagree with your there. I'm in favor of whatever law enforcement needs to get the bad guys. There are already police heli's overhead with WAY better cameras than are on our drones... so that begs the question - how is using a drone different, other than (potential) faster response, less cost to whatever agency and potentially safer for those in close proximity below?
If there's no difference then you wouldn't mind applying all the laws similar to the ones in NRS, correct? If a police agency wants to use drones and we can implement the equivalent NRS laws (in your state) then I'm all for it, let's go with the police drones and enjoy their benefits. We can revisit them after a short evaluation period. But something tells me the agencies don't want these restrictions from the start.

I agree when it comes to bad guys, go for it. Unfortunately the police departments don't agree with using their drones just to "get the bad guys." That's where they start but it only takes a short period of time for them to start to realize some things. When I think about capabilities and roles, I see big big differences between manned aircraft and UAVs.

If there's no difference then you wouldn't mind applying all the laws similar to the ones in NRS, correct? If a police agency wants to use drones and we can implement the equivalent NRS laws (in your state) then I'm all for it, let's go with the police drones and enjoy their benefits. We can revisit them after a short evaluation period. But something tells me the agencies don't want these restrictions from the start.

I agree when it comes to bad guys, go for it. Unfortunately the police departments don't agree with using their drones just to "get the bad guys." That's where they start but it only takes a short period of time for them to start to realize some things. When I think about capabilities and roles, I see big big differences between manned aircraft and UAVs.
If the police aren't using them to get bad guys what are they using them for?

Keep it civil guys or this Thread will be closed

You seem to object to police using drones to catch bad guys.
Once again, please explain the mental gymnastics you are exercising to come to these ridiculous conclusions? Neither of us have said any such thing, nor do either of use mean any such thing. All he said was that rules and regulations should be in place to prevent the misuse of drones in law enforcement. Just like there are rules, regulations, laws, and case law that regulate most any other tool available to law enforcement.

BTW my career is law enforcement. I happen to be very much in favor of catching bad guys using every reasonable and constitutionally acceptable method possible

If the police aren't using them to get bad guys what are they using them for?
I would refer you to the actual pubic debate currently being carried on across America and while I don't know where this is going to land, I think we all prefer to "get the bad guy" we just have different methods on how to go about doing that.

• Haha
Reactions: CactusJackSlade
Once again, please explain the mental gymnastics you are exercising to come to these ridiculous conclusions? Neither of us have said any such thing, nor do either of use mean any such thing. All he said was that rules and regulations should be in place to prevent the misuse of drones in law enforcement. Just like there are rules, regulations, laws, and case law that regulate most any other tool available to law enforcement.

BTW my career is law enforcement. I happen to be very much in favor of catching bad guys using every reasonable and constitutionally acceptable method possible
What is your specific problem with police using drones then.

What is your specific problem with police using drones then.
Please stop drawing these ridiculous conclusions. I never said I have a problem with it. You're making these things up in your head. I'm fully in favor of law enforcement using drones to catch bad guys. I think it's great. If I was in a position to participate in an LE UAS program, I would be thrilled.

And I want it to be done with rules and limitations in place, with controls on place to prevent misuse. Just like literally every other tool and method available to law enforcement. In compliance with the constitutional rights of you and I.

Is this clear enough for you to understand now without putting words in my mouth and making wildly incorrect assumptions?

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan