Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel and crystalsky

I need to enable off line caching of Google Maps
Perhaps this note applies to you?
Note: Downloading offline maps isn't available in some regions because of contractual limitations, language support, address formats, or other reasons.

I don't see anything about "enabling" offline caching.

Last edited:
Perhaps this note applies to you?
Note: Downloading offline maps isn't available in some regions because of contractual limitations, language support, address formats, or other reasons.

I don't see anything about "enabling" offline caching.
I have Maps installed. I am trying to sign into my Google account in the Maps settings. There is a page saying create an account, but it does not give me a page to allow either creating or signing in. I think this may be a DJI restriction.

There is a page saying create an account
I think you can add your Google account to the Android device (the CS) under settings/accoounts. After that, when you open Google Maps it should automatically log you in under your Google account.

There does not seem to be a settings/accounts page. I’ve looked through all the settings. Although th CS runs on Android, it seems to be pretty tightly locked down. I’m sure it can be hacked, but I’m not an Android user with any other of my devices.

I’m sure it can be hacked
Well, that sucks! I was a novice "hacker" 40 years ago but now I just want to play, I do not want to dig into the murky depths of Android. Apparently, there are many ways to root these devices, remove restrictions and even update the OS but, there is a risk of turning your device into a brick as well. Surly, others are successfully using the CS with Autel products or Thor's Drone World would not be bothering to make a mount for the CS on their Autel tablet holder.

I’ve reached out to most of the Autel FB pages. If someone has gotten maps to cache to the Explorer app, I’ll likely hear back. I will also contact Thor’s site. I know he makes mounts for the CS to the EVO rc, but I’m not sure if he ever looked at the map cache issue.

Yes, I’m aware, and those maps are cached, it’s just that I cannot get the Autel app to upload the data. There is obviously something missing, maybe a pref. file, but I do t know enough. I can download the apk map box and see what happens.

I cannot get the Autel app to upload the data
Wouldn't you need to alter the Explorer app to make it read and use Mapbox? It seems to me that it would be easier to get the OS to allow Google services. In fact, I wonder why Google would even allow their OS to be modified by dji such that Google Services are disabled.

The apk for Google maps installed working Google Maps but I could not log into my Google account which is necessary if you want to cache the maps for offline use. It seems that Scubadoc is correct, dji is actively preventing the Google Maps login.

The apk for Google maps installed working Google Maps but I could not log into my Google account which is necessary if you want to cache the maps for offline use. It seems that Scubadoc is correct, dji is actively preventing the Google Maps login.

Captain Drone released this video today.

Edit: meh lol. That is what I get for not reading all the posts.

Something is missing from your odd sequence, Captain Drone:
-- open Explorer app
-- power on drone
-- power on controller
-- plug controller into CS
(@5:15 "they should recognize each other" and I think you are glossing over an option to always start the Explorer app when the controller is plugged in and powered on)
Be that as it may, I do not get maps in the Explorer app even though I've downloaded an area I wish to fly (through the Inspire 2 drone settings). Starting Explorer automatically does not get the drone connected. The only way I have gotten the drone connected is by first tapping the DJI Go 4.0 customized launcher panel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The text above was posted as a comment on Captain Drone's video and he gave an unsatisfactory reply so I questioned him again. Rather than post that here you can find the responses under the original video.
(Every attempt to provide a more direct link here wound up pointing to the original video. If I resolve this, I'll post it here as well.)

Last edited:
Well, sadly, the Captain Drone lead was a bust: The CrystalSky monitor cannot provide the EVO with maps of any sort.

CAPTAIN DRONE
Published on Feb 6, 2019

Can you use the DJI Crystalsky with the Autel EVO? The answer is yes. This video shows you how. NOTE: In the video I mention that you can cache your maps for the EVO, but after trying it again I noticed that the EVO keeps looking for Google Maps, which it can't find on the Crystal Sky. So beware that everything works but the maps.

The Crystal Sky blocks installation of Google play services. I had to get Litchi for my Mavic via Amazon App Store as Google Playstore can't be installed on Crystal Sky.

I've downloaded Evo app apk and successfully installed it on my Crystal Sky Ultra. If I can figure out the mounting, I'm gong to buy the Evo II.

QUESTION: Do handles on Evo controller have slots like Mavic controllers so you could put phone inside the handles??

Reactions: PingSpike
QUESTION: Do handles on Evo controller have slots like Mavic controllers so you could put phone inside the handles??
No, the controller handles will not secure a cell phone,
It is a bit expensive but the LifThor EVO is an excellent tablet holder designed specifically for the EVO.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials