Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Anyone from Canada with a SFOC?

James

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got a drone myself, and I am thinking about getting SFOC to fly commercially. Anyone here that have experiences applying for a SFOC or Standing SFOC?

Would love to hear your story, how it went, what is the "actual" processing time it took...

Cheers,

I'm in Canada and I say good luck. Unless you have a transport Canada Compliant UAV in 2018 when the new rules come out you are sheeet out of luck. A Compliant UAV will cost you around $5000 bucks minium.
Let me know how it all works out for you in 2018.

Hi Agustine, I don't want to sidetrack from the original question but I think the new legislation is not that bad and will weed out the bad people. I see it a little bit like gun control, where you have to take a class for 1 or 2 days to get your license. It deters some of the bad apples out there.

Being a video producer I've been around drones for a few years now and I would say most of the guys fly responsibly, but on the other hand, I know a few people who just bought drones because "it's cool", have no clue of the regulations, and fly their drone where-ever they pleased (I.E. within 1KM from the Toronto Island Airport, at a high altitude directly in the landing trajectory of some planes)

Of course, there is a job of awareness for all, and law-abiding enthusiasts will always be law-abiding, but all I'm saying is that everyone should know a minimum about airspace to fly a drone.

Hi Agustine, I don't want to sidetrack from the original question but I think the new legislation is not that bad and will weed out the bad people. I see it a little bit like gun control, where you have to take a class for 1 or 2 days to get your license. It deters some of the bad apples out there.

Being a video producer I've been around drones for a few years now and I would say most of the guys fly responsibly, but on the other hand, I know a few people who just bought drones because "it's cool", have no clue of the regulations, and fly their drone where-ever they pleased (I.E. within 1KM from the Toronto Island Airport, at a high altitude directly in the landing trajectory of some planes)

Of course, there is a job of awareness for all, and law-abiding enthusiasts will always be law-abiding, but all I'm saying is that everyone should know a minimum about airspace to fly a drone.
Invest into a ground school. I just finished mine (located in nova Scotia ) and you will learn a great deal that will properly.guide.you to operating commercial uav operations. You do have ability to be grandfathered in if you get on it asap. Check out M3 Aerial Productions for ground school dates. Also Aerovision, flitelab, aerobotika. Its mandatory for any commercial use of a uav and with the new regulations unless you meet all 60+ points of the exemption you will need to take a course either way. At least than once you have completed ground school you will be certified by transport Canada to operate. Get liability insurance and prepare your SFOC and apply before February 22nd. I also recommend joining the SFOC facebook group. All respected members of the industry that can help a great deal with details.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Josh. Lots of good info here. I will go ahead a do ground school as I was planning to.

Any chance you have sources for the grandfathering program? All I can find seems nebulous...

Thanks for the information Josh. Lots of good info here. I will go ahead a do ground school as I was planning to.

Any chance you have sources for the grandfathering program? All I can find seems nebulous...
Grandfathering is discussed on the transport Canada page for uav regulations

Grandfathering is discussed on the transport Canada page for uav regulations
SFOCs will still be needed for some work - LIDAR, Class F airspace, airshows, exceed 400' limit, etc. Biggest issue is if they go forward on Compliance as it will ground many systems when used in control airsapce. So no grandfathering is expected.
Like I said good luck when the new rules come out. Not many can afford a compliant UAV to take real estate pictures.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kestrel