Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Aermotor

rkyleh

Reaction score
I ran across this windmill last summer. My grandfather had them on his ranch I used to help my uncles service them. There are a lot of stories of how long they last. It is not unusual for them to out last the rancher that installed them when he was a young man. Pumping stock water with air.

Nice video! Just watched some of your youtube videos. You are one mobile 81 year old!! Kudos!!

Really nice, I’ve seen a few in rural New Mexico. How did you find this windmill? It looks pretty remote...

Really nice, I’ve seen a few in rural New Mexico. How did you find this windmill? It looks pretty remote...
Just wandering in the desert looking for something interesting to video. Most of the time it is just sage brush and cedars

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Old windmills! Your clip was a real trigger. I had a good laugh. Years ago I was an instructor in the military and a small group of us were “ illegally” in Angola during the Angolan war. we were lost and did not find our FNLA contacts so were trying to get back into South West Africa. We had run out of water for 2 days and so were only traveling at night because of the heat and dehydration. Suddenly in the middle of the bush, we came across this windmill and shallow water tank. Water from heaven. We drank and ran around naked swimming in heaven. Suddenly the lookout signaled from the top of the windmill …..we ran with our kit and boots and set up an ambush naked expecting Cubans and Russians deployed with Swapo to come and sort us out. The next thing this Ovambo boy with cattle comes to the tank and herds his cattle into the tank. Cattle pissing and crapping in the water. It was a cattle dip tank and there was a plastic container offset that was for drinking water. Anyway, the water still tasted like it was from heaven with a dash of rum. From the windmill, we got out map position with location co-ordinates and made a straight course back across the South West African border. No bad effects from the drinking cattle dip water but wouldn’t recommend it. Angolan Civil War - Wikipedia

FNLA = F...Now We Leave Angola. LOL.

Last edited:
Old windmills! Your clip was a real trigger. I had a good laugh. Years ago I was an instructor in the military and a small group of us were “ illegally” in Angola during the Angolan war. we were lost and did not find our FNLA contacts so were trying to get back into South West Africa. We had run out of water for 2 days and so were only traveling at night because of the heat and dehydration. Suddenly in the middle of the bush, we came across this windmill and shallow water tank. Water from heaven. We drank and ran around naked swimming in heaven. Suddenly the lookout signaled from the top of the windmill …..we ran with our kit and boots and set up an ambush naked expecting Cubans and Russians deployed with Swapo to come and sort us out. The next thing this Ovambo boy with cattle comes to the tank and herds his cattle into the tank. Cattle pissing and crapping in the water. It was a cattle dip tank and there was a plastic container offset that was for drinking water. Anyway, the water still tasted like it was from heaven with a dash of rum. From the windmill, we got out map position with location co-ordinates and made a straight course back across the South West African border. No bad effects from the drinking cattle dip water but wouldn’t recommend it. Angolan Civil War - Wikipedia

FNLA = F...Now We Leave Angola. LOL.
Great story!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hippo35