Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

About to buy an EFO II 640T. Should I wait for V3

glenrs

Reaction score
Hi all,

I don't actually own an Autel drone yet, I've discovered I'm going to need a thermal drone and I think the Evo II 640T is my pick. Question is, do I wait for the V3's? I can't seem to find any info on how long they'll be. There's a comment on this forum suggesting they could be quite a while. A few months I could wait. Six is too many and I'll just get the current version.

Hard to tell when they are planning to release another model. if you are 100% sure you want to go for Autel i would recomment to wait for the V3. I currently operate a 640T in my work and also a 6k (both enterprise versions). and I must say they are Good Birds but in my opinion not even close to what DJI offers for the same or less price point.

The Mavic 3ET with the same thermal specs and the Extra zoom capabilities makes more sense to me. the zoom on the Evo 640T is very bad .

I have flown an Evo II Pro as one of my professional workhorses since May 2020, logging close to 900 minutes and 70 odd rotations, without any operational concerns, and with the videographic results seeming to meet client needs.

Earlier this year, I too realised there would be a need for my business to have thermal capabilities for the likes of infrastructure and roofing related inspections.

From an Autel perspective, the Evo II 640T Enterprise Bundle would have been the obvious (and only) Autel choice, but for it being "horrendously" expensive!
If you are set on having a Evo II 640T, it would certainly seem a worthwhile decision to wait for v3, as the current version is probably starting to get a bit dated within its base technology. That said, there looks to be some pretty good prices being offered at the moment for the current Enterprise version; perhaps in anticipation of the next version release date not too far off.

If however, you are really serious about having a very capable thermal platform, at an affordable price, the DJI Matrice 30 series thermal version is got to be worth investigation with its specs compared to an Evo II Thermal. I fly both Autel and DJI platforms, and so once I had done a bit more investigation and comparisons for my professional requirements, the Matrice 30T was a no brainer; which thus far I've had no regrets purchasing.

Try to resist "splashing the cash" until there is an opportunity to make your comparisons between Autel and DJI thermal platforms, then buy on the basis of what will suit your own needs.

Happy and safe flying 😀😎

Hi all,

I don't actually own an Autel drone yet, I've discovered I'm going to need a thermal drone and I think the Evo II 640T is my pick. Question is, do I wait for the V3's? I can't seem to find any info on how long they'll be. There's a comment on this forum suggesting they could be quite a while. A few months I could wait. Six is too many and I'll just get the current version.
Hey there, if you don't need the enterprise version, we have a killer deal on the 640T Rugged Bundle right now; Autel Robotics EVO II 640T Rugged Bundle

Personally, I am a little hesitant to buy a new Autel Drone because they haven't been too forthcoming about how or if they plan to upgrade it to remote ID. The only word I heard was that they didn't plan anything for V1 or V2. I keep hearing that dongles and the like will fix this, but just in case, I don't need another expensive paperweight. My V1 Autel Evo II Pro is currently my workhorse for most stuff and it would sure be nice to get some assurance that I shouldn't go in another direction. I'm also wondering if all the dumping of Autel drones on the used market is the Remote ID issue or the new DJI enterprise stuff coming out.

Autel has said they are not planning to support RID on the v.1 or v.2 chipset Evo2s.

So, technically, I don't think they can sell those drones in the US beyond Dec. 16 . Therefore, they need to dump them quick. After Dec. 16, they will probably have to somehow sell them as used craft in order to sell them at all. This comment is just conjecture based upon what I understand about the Standard RID requirements.

Autel has said they are not planning to support RID on the v.1 or v.2 chipset Evo2s.

So, technically, I don't think they can sell those drones in the US beyond Dec. 16 . Therefore, they need to dump them quick. After Dec. 16, they will probably have to somehow sell them as used craft in order to sell them at all. This comment is just conjecture based upon what I understand about the Standard RID requirements.
At present, only users in Japan and the United States require to buy a RID, but the United States will give it a year; as long as the production date is before September 16, 2022, it can continue to fly until September 16, 2023; in 2023 Before April, Autel will release a RID module, but needs to be purchased separately by customers and used on V2

The Evo II V3 aircraft itself differs from the V1 and V2 largely in the chipset used for the Software Defined Radio that will bring it into manufacturer's compliance for the December Remote ID deadline. As a bonus, the V3 chipset allows for Autel to bring back a new version of Live Deck, which V2 lacks but V1 had. Also different is that V3 uses Autel Sky instead of Explorer for the controller. (Hopefully they'll have ported Missions and Intelligent Flight mode s over til it launches)

At present, only users in Japan and the United States require to buy a RID, but the United States will give it a year; as long as the production date is before September 16, 2022, it can continue to fly until September 16, 2023; in 2023 Before April, Autel will release a RID module, but needs to be purchased separately by customers and used on V2
No end user in the US will be required to install an RID module before Sep 16, 2023, period. Manufacturers's deadline for built-in RID got a 3-month reprieve to mid-Dec 2022, after MOC specs were late in arriving. It would be surprising news if Autel or indeed any drone-airframe manufacturer builds or releases tack-on modules, as these don't help them achieve compliance with FAA/FCC or help them sell new drones

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials