Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

8K vs 6K Camera: Is 1 inch sensor worth the extra cost?

easyheimer

Reaction score
Ok, so I ordered the Evo 2 8K Rugged Bundle but now I’m second thinking the fact that I should’ve went with the 6K Pro version with the 1 inch sensor. I plan on using this aircraft for work so just wondering from all you camera nerds out there if the 6K Pro version is a considerable upgrade over the 8K half inch sensor.

Definitely, it has all the pro features that professionals look for in a camera. The difference in price also is not too much if you have the money for it.

If your work imagery might involve low-light, strong backlighting, or otherwise contrasty situations, yes. Excess noise in the shadows (and other issues) is common using the kind of tech Autel uses to get to 8K. I’m sure it will be good enough for most folks, but if you're going to earn money with it, why not?

Reactions: Marcle
Ok, so I ordered the Evo 2 8K Rugged Bundle but now I’m second thinking the fact that I should’ve went with the 6K Pro version with the 1 inch sensor. I plan on using this aircraft for work so just wondering from all you camera nerds out there if the 6K Pro version is a considerable upgrade over the 8K half inch sensor.
@easyheimer I would. I shoot numerous video cameras. A full 1" sensor is going to always give you better results than a 1/2.3'.

Reactions: parkgt and Marcle
For the price difference, I would get the 1 inch sensor. Like the other guys say, the 1 inch sensor will give you better quality every time. Especially in a professional setting.

The 1inch-type sensor is the camera you want. That Sony IMX383 is "the" most cutting edge 1 inch-type sensor on planet Earth today! It's a fully stacked BSI chip with a very fast data throughput. You will get full width 5.5k pixel readout and 5.5k video resolution, not the pixel binned, sub sampled "FOV" junk readout that the Mavic 2 Pro does.

The "8k" Autel camera is an IMX586. This is not a real 48mp sensor. It has 4 photosites that sit under one Bayer color filter. So this sensor only has 12 million Bayer RGGB color filters. So you get basically 12mp images. The extra photosites are there for dynamic range improvement, not resolution improvement.

Slightly off topic, but when viewing the shape of the 8k camera housing, I am not seeing how one would add filters.... the shape and bezel don't look conducive to adding ND or CPL options. I am waiting on the Pro anyway, and its obvious that filters can be added to the 1 inch... ;) However, I hate waiting. I might be tempted to start with the 8 then purchase the 1 inch cam later....

Slightly off topic, but when viewing the shape of the 8k camera housing, I am not seeing how one would add filters.... the shape and bezel don't look conducive to adding ND or CPL options. I am waiting on the Pro anyway, and its obvious that filters can be added to the 1 inch... ;) However, I hate waiting. I might be tempted to start with the 8 then purchase the 1 inch cam later....
I have never seen a drone camera not come with at least a UV filter attached so I would imagine removing the UV filter will allow for a ND filter. Taking a closer look at the camera face it looks like there is a knurled ring. Could be wrong but thats my guess.

Screenshot 2020-03-15 01.46.19.png

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chen