Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

640T Thermal Jpeg ortho, DD and MS Comparison

jmason702

Reaction score
Seems DD has much greater detail, this is only Jpeg non-radiometric, but that is why the detail is so important to find a POI and pull the file into the radiometric software for further evaluation. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 640T MS.jpg
    640T MS.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • DD 640T.jpg
    DD 640T.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Meta shape uses TIFF files witch the 640T has but you lose info and it's black and white and Metashape doesn't utilize the IRG files witch have much greater radiometric detail.
DD can not use anything from the 640T except the Jpegs.
Other software wants R-Jpegs, but I have not seen any with good results???
I know it can be done right with older FliR and DJI stuff, but resolution sucks compared to this new stuff.
So for now my go-to is to map using the Jpegs in photogrammetry, then pull points of interest into your radiometric software.

Meta shape uses TIFF files witch the 640T has but you lose info and it's black and white and Metashape doesn't utilize the IRG files witch have much greater radiometric detail.
DD can not use anything from the 640T except the Jpegs.
Other software wants R-Jpegs, but I have not seen any with good results???
I know it can be done right with older FliR and DJI stuff, but resolution sucks compared to this new stuff.
So for now my go-to is to map using the Jpegs in photogrammetry, then pull points of interest into your radiometric software.

You should post on the MS forum. Perhaps the developer will incorportate using the irg files into MS.

Seems DD has much greater detail, this is only Jpeg non-radiometric, but that is why the detail is so important to find a POI and pull the file into the radiometric software for further evaluation. Thoughts?
Hi jmason702, I got my EVO2E Dual 640T with RTK last week, so I will start checking the features soon... Will do so with DD and maybe also on MS.

Hi jmason702, I got my EVO2E Dual 640T with RTK last week, so I will start checking the features soon... Will do so with DD and maybe also on MS.
Yes sure, here one thing I tested today: during dual missions (with RGB+IR enabled in Explorer view) I was able to get the IR resolution of 640x512 pixel AND SIMULTANIOUSLY(!) 7680x4320 pixel RGB (33 MP), in both rectangle and polygon patterns. Depending on the overlap setting (front 70%) and altitude (45 m) I was able to get 0.75 cm/px at 4 m/s. So in mission mode RGB resolution was not 48 MP but 33 MP, what is more than o.k. for me.
(The RGB foto resolution within Explorer Camera View was set to 8000x6000 and it was reduced in Explorer Mission View to 7680x4320 with 70% front overlap. With the missions' preset of 80% front overlap I also had 4000x3000 in the beginning. I still have to check what happens if you set front overlap i.e. to 60%. and a lower G/S, maybe 8000x6000?)
Autel did a great job in maximizing the resolution vs. GSD, overlap and G/S within mission planning!

EDIT: values seem to be different after checking the file properties of RGB+IR+PIP imagery. See this post:

For RGB+IR+PIP imagery and PIV (Picture in Video): RGB 3840x2160, IR 640x512, PIP 1280x720
For mission and PIV imagery in RGB only: 7680x4320

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristianH
NO ****! was you doing picture in picture to capture both RGB and IR?

NO ****! was you doing picture in picture to capture both RGB and IR?
Hi jmason702,
RGB 7680x4320 works for sure in missions. I just checked a polygon mission in which RGB + IR were captured simultaneously and there the RGB resolution was 3840x2160 only.
I have to check that again. Probably I mixed this up with the PIV-function (Picture in Video), where you can record RGB video at 7680x4320 pixel, IR video at 640x512 and RGB+IR PIP at 1280x720 AND AT THE SAME TIME take corresponding photos (manually or automatically, starting from a 5 s interval). So you get three videos and the three different types of photo series, which are georeferenced (IR jepegs without TIF and without IRG radiometric data).

Sorry for probaly confusing these two separate functionalities. (Maybe I was too fascinated by the PIV function and missions with RGB 7680x4320 at the same time...)
I will check if reducing the ground speed could further raise RGB resolution for those dual missions.
Nevertheless an 8.3 MP RGB imagery (for visual inspection or mapping) in conjunction with 640x512 thermals within one flight are still remarkable.

EDIT: I have to check all these values again. Probably RGB 3840x2160 also applies for PIV-imagery when RGB+IR are recorded at the same time. (7680x4320 pictures only with 7680x4320 videos...) I got confused with the numbers on the screen and checking the properties. Nevertheless the pixel resolutions are still very good IMO.

EDIT 2:
For RGB+IR+PIP imagery and PIV (Picture in Video): RGB 3840x2160, IR 640x512, PIP 1280x720
For mission and PIV imagery in RGB only: 7680x4320

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SycamoreGroves