Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

1st Flight

GA-XSP-Pilot

Reaction score
Finally the stars have aligned and I was able to take the XSP out on its maiden voyage. No problems other than the stupid-rookie-pilot-induced kind :rolleyes:. No damage to anything except my pride, and a good reminder to order some extra props...haha.

I did manage to catch a sunset shot or two...

Attachments

• Lake Sunset.jpg
    Lake Sunset.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
Beautiful Sunset. My first voyage was that way also. It wants to tip to one side when landing. I know just hover and grab the landing gear and shut it down no more damaged propellers.

Reactions: Bonsy
I too landed on too much of uneven ground, scuffed up prop. I made a landing pad but only used it about three times. I now look for better ground.

Landing was fine...but for some reason I was toeing out instead of in when shutting down the engines. Oops. (Left stick only from now on, and we'll save the toe-ins for emergencies.)

EDIT: No I wasn't crazy, the manual says you can toe out to shut down the engines, but I don't do that any more.

Last edited:
Very beautiful photo. I prefer manual landing even if X-Star is has good automatisms.

I've had to do that a couple of times when the battery gets low and RTH kicks in. It's pretty accurate as far as landing in the same spot it took off from...but where I was flying, 2 feet isn't accurate enough. Lots of uneven terrain and possibility of tip-over on landing.

I found some interlocking rubber mats at Home Depot . You can quickly snap together and it makes a big target to land on and if you tip over, no flying dirt and grass. If I get energetic I might paint them the same color. They also do not flap around in the downwash

Attachments

• IMG_20170303_162748915.jpg
    IMG_20170303_162748915.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Great idea...the only problem is that the ground has to be near level to avoid tipover on landing.

I've thought of a design for an inexpensive landing pad that can be used on (variable) shallow slopes...gonna build that soon.

Ahh Yes, those landing blues.. I had the same for my first few.
I say catch when you can and pick your spot other times.

As to the photo ..great first shot if it is your first.

Did you use a filter?

Regards, Cider Boy

No filters were used...and that was one of the shots from the first flight. I've got about 10 hours on it now, thanks to the mild winter.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials