Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Yagi Antenna to extend signal

safetyPro

Reaction score
Curious to know what success y'all have had using a yagi antenna to extend the signal?

So often finding myself getting a weak signal notification. This last time I flew I looked for the number of GPS satellites connected and couldn't find the setting / information.

BTW, how can I switch from wifi to GPS to cellular? Again unable to locate the these settings after looking through controller and manual.

Thanks in advance

A Yagi Antenna will not work with model radios. It is an antenna intended for the radio-amateur which works at 14 - 21 - 28 Mhz.
In Radio-model making, we work on 2.4 Ghz and in horizontal polarization (which can be LHCP or RHCP according to the manufacturers).
As the aerial of the drone cannot be changed, if we change the aerials of the radio, they must be in the same direction of polarization as that of the drone otherwise it no longer agrees between the two and the range becomes deplorable without counting the losses of connection.
I think for your Yagi antenna, even McGyver will be in trouble.
And forget also the Wifi-Gps-Cellular switch.
Evo Radio only works in Wifi, 800 or 2.4 depending on the country and the authorized frequencies.

Reactions: herein2021
Update.
It's not the location that's the weak signal it's the video link.

Just went and flew the EVO II. It was at 20' AGL and I was basically standing underneath it. The video link was lost and never re-established sending the drone back to home shortly thereafter

Antenna were vertical the drone. Even if the antenna were slightly off it shouldn't had matter so close to the drone

To read you, I think that your problem comes mainly from the bad positioning of your antennas in relation to the drone.
the antennas of the radio are polarized and the emission of the waves is done around the antenna when it is in vertical position.
When the antenna is pointed directly at the drones, only about 10% of the waves reach it, hence your loss of range.
100% of the broadcast made around the antenna.
The antenna must be in the 90 ° position relative to the drone.
It is not a vertical water jet, it is a rotating sprinkler.
image110.jpg

and depending on the position in the sky of the drone, the radio antennas must follow this diagram.

2017-012.jpg

Do not forget:
- Antennas pointed towards the drone = zero range.
- Antennas at 90 ° to the drone = maximum range.

To read you, I think that your problem comes mainly from the bad positioning of your antennas in relation to the drone.
the antennas of the radio are polarized and the emission of the waves is done around the antenna when it is in vertical position.
When the antenna is pointed directly at the drones, only about 10% of the waves reach it, hence your loss of range.
View attachment 11014

and depending on the position in the sky of the drone, the radio antennas must follow this diagram.

View attachment 11015

Do not forget:

I think the OP was stating that the antennas were in fact positions properly in relation to the drone. Either way, I agree with the OP....no way should the EVO have lost the signal that close. I don't even bother looking at my antenna placement until the drone is at least 100' in the air and have never lost a connection even in heavily congested areas no matter what I do with the remote or antennas until the drone is at least 1500' away.

I think at least for the scenario that the OP described....the area is either extremely congested or there is a problem with the drone or remote. The shortest range I've encountered so far with my EVO II is about 1500-1800' away in heavily congested areas; the best it will possibly do in completely ideal conditions (100' AGL, straight out over open ocean) is 5 miles and that is only limited by the battery life.

BTW great responses, I always respect anyone who truly knows their subject material even if most of it goes over my head (like this time :))

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
I think the OP was stating that the antennas were in fact positions properly in relation to the drone. Either way, I agree with the OP....no way should the EVO have lost the signal that close. I don't even bother looking at my antenna placement until the drone is at least 100' in the air and have never lost a connection even in heavily congested areas no matter what I do with the remote or antennas until the drone is at least 1500' away.

I think at least for the scenario that the OP described....the area is either extremely congested or there is a problem with the drone or remote. The shortest range I've encountered so far with my EVO II is about 1500-1800' away in heavily congested areas; the best it will possibly do in completely ideal conditions (100' AGL, straight out over open ocean) is 5 miles and that is only limited by the battery life.

BTW great responses, I always respect anyone who truly knows their subject material even if most of it goes over my head (like this time :))
Accurate statement.

I paid careful attention to positioning the antennas as stated.

I reach out to customer support. Shouldn't be happening so close to the controller.

The area I was operating in is very rural. No other signals would had been near me.

A Yagi Antenna will not work with model radios. It is an antenna intended for the radio-amateur which works at 14 - 21 - 28 Mhz.
In Radio-model making, we work on 2.4 Ghz and in horizontal polarization (which can be LHCP or RHCP according to the manufacturers).
As the aerial of the drone cannot be changed, if we change the aerials of the radio, they must be in the same direction of polarization as that of the drone otherwise it no longer agrees between the two and the range becomes deplorable without counting the losses of connection.
Evo Radio only works in Wifi, 800 or 2.4 depending on the country and the authorized frequencies.
Not saying a Yagi antenna is a good solution for the OP but a log periodical antenna can be designed for a range of frequencies, not just the three you cite. I am not trying to be argumentative and maybe those are the three common frequencies for your uses? But your second sentence is inaccurate as a blanket statement.
I'll add that I know nothing about circular polarization but am familiar with the typical 'horizontal' and 'vertical' polarization. I will to some reading about this.
Edited to add: Ok, I've just started reading about circular polarization and I already have questions forming in my pea sized brain....this is going to take awhile.

Last edited:
Haha, like your last sentence. Reminds me of similar, ape smoth and wrinkled ? comments I'm accustomed to.

Have you recently installed a firmware update, safetyPro? And if so, how did you do it? What versions of firmware + Autel Explorer?

View attachment 11014

View attachment 11015

Do not forget:
Probably one of the best posts in a long while. With pics and everything! Well done!

Is there a way to get the EVO 2 and it's Remote to communicate in 800. I'm in the USA. I understand that 800-900 is better for range and can penetrate more objects than frequencies like 2.4 and 5.8.

Curious to know what success y'all have had using a yagi antenna to extend the signal?

So often finding myself getting a weak signal notification. This last time I flew I looked for the number of GPS satellites connected and couldn't find the setting / information.

BTW, how can I switch from wifi to GPS to cellular? Again unable to locate the these settings after looking through controller and manual.

Thanks in advance
What op says is false you can buy tuned 2.4 ghZ yagi antenna add ONS and they without a doubt they do extend range

cheers. Do you have any rough estimate of % gained from those clip on antennas?

10%, 50%, more?

Is there a way to get the EVO 2 and it's Remote to communicate in 800. I'm in the USA. I understand that 800-900 is better for range and can penetrate more objects than frequencies like 2.4 and 5.8.
it was my understanding that while the lower frequencies have fantastic range and penetration attributes, the amount of information it can send/receive is lower. So im wondering at how the hi-def video that's getting sent back would be effected.
I know when we started playing with video tx/rx years ago, before DJI and others became mainstream, we could not get a decent video image on the lower frequencies at any range, but could maintain the subpar connection for a greater distance.
Im sure the technology is way better now, but i still wonder at this shortcoming in lower frequencies

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy