Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

X-Star and Power Lines

ControlsEE

Reaction score
Hello, new member here, drone pilot since 2015 and autel x-star wifi owner since 2016. I am curious about any members' experiences with (intentionally, or unintentionally) flying close (within 100') of power transmission lines. In know that it is not recommended, but I am volunteering to help make a promo video for a 501c organization, which the main part of the property has high voltage power lines above one edge of the property. If I decide to volunteer flying my drone as part of this, I would be flying about 20'-30'above the altitude of the lines, but about 40' horizontally, which would put my drone about 50' away from the lines. I have seen videos of x-stars flying very close to, even in between, transmission lines and be fine, however I would like to know if these instances are the anomalies, or is the x-star really that robust? I know that most people recommend 100' min from lines, but is that overly cautious, or warranted? For context, before my x-star, I had a DJI P3S, which fell out of the sky during orbit mode(less than one week after purchasing it btw), to which DJI support claimed EMI, though the drone was probably a good 200'-300' away from the lines, but DJI refused to admit anything but user error (but that's a story for another time). Them having claimed this makes me want to think that drones really are susceptible to EMI, which is why I am asking for other's experiences and opinions. Thanks.

I have flown many times next to power lines and have yet to lose my drone. You will get interference from the lines, so make sure you are within VLOS at all times so you have a straight signal from controller to drone. Just make sure you don't get close enough, that you cannot tell how close the lines are from your drone and clip them.

Reactions: ControlsEE

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials