Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Wind Resistance

Autel told me that in standard they can wistand up to maximum speed set. I assume in ludicrous is the same. For Precision, I don't know.

Autel told me that in standard they can wistand up to maximum speed set. I assume in ludicrous is the same. For Precision, I don't know.
Interesting response. How do you translate that? If you set max speed at say 22mph and then fly at 10mph, are they saying that the EVO will maintain 10mph into a 22mph headwind - or that it won't be pushed backwards by a 22mph headwind…but will be pushed backwards by a 23mph wind?

Interesting response. How do you translate that? If you set max speed at say 22mph and then fly at 10mph, are they saying that the EVO will maintain 10mph into a 22mph headwind - or that it won't be pushed backwards by a 22mph headwind…but will be pushed backwards by a 23mph wind?
As you stated. If you are flying against a 22mph headwind the Evo won't be pushed back, but won't fly forward. At 23mph it will be pushed back. When stationary it will stay put at 22mph. Precision mode works different. Although max speed is lets say 6mph, I know for a fact it can hold steady in 16mph winds.

Reactions: YuKay
Even if you are flying at 3mph? Or do they mean that you need to be flying at max speed of 22mph in order to face down a 22mph headwind? I may have to do some testing (from my sun room as my cat doesn't like the wind).

Reactions: Ansia
Even if you are flying at 3mph? Or do they mean that you need to be flying at max speed of 22mph in order to face down a 22mph headwind? I may have to do some testing (from my sun room as my cat doesn't like the wind).
They were a bit vague on their response. But I assume it will keep steady in place, but not fly forward. The reason being the Evo can fly up to 44mph. Although you limit yourself to 22mph, the drone can spin it's motors faster. I don't dare test this, because if it gets pushed back, there is no fast way to get it in ludicrous mode. When they make available the bottom buttons, I will do it.

Guys, I have learned a lot from your answers. So I can deduct that if the aircraft hovers with 22 MPH winds, the aircraft will stay in the same position BUT with winds at 23 MPH, it will be pushed back-and forth. It struggles to keep same position.
That seems to be what Autel told Ansia - but why not go test it and report back? And maybe test in Precision Mode as well?

Let me see if I can dig up the email with the response. I have a bad habit of deleting stuff.

Here is the original question.
20190217_144451.jpg
And here is the answer.
20190217_144517.jpg
Please note that I answered above from what I was told on this reply and my limited knowledge on how drones work.

Its to bad we cannot access the EVO's telemetry files so we could use Dashware to overlap this information on our videos. This would show you just how much the EVO slows down in high winds. I have flown three diffrent UAV's in very strong winds have never seen where it slows you down to the point of hardly moving. They tend to just dig in harder and keep going.

Thanks Ansia. I'm still not sure I understand their answer. And wind speed changes from one moment to the next so how to avoid stop-start video?

FWIW, I flew this afternoon in Precision Mode at 5mph while the wind was fluctuating between 8mph and 12mph. I flew out and back, with the wind and against and although I wasn't noting actual drone speed, it did keep flying forward even into the wind, albeit slowly.

Thanks Ansia. I'm still not sure I understand their answer. And wind speed changes from one moment to the next so how to avoid stop-start video?

FWIW, I flew this afternoon in Precision Mode at 5mph while the wind was fluctuating between 8mph and 12mph. I flew out and back, with the wind and against and although I wasn't noting actual drone speed, it did keep flying forward even into the wind, albeit slowly.
Like I said, their reply was vague. I believe on precision mode, although you are limited to the speed you set up, the drone can wistand higher winds. I don't know my Evo very well to be honest, so I don't know where the line is yet, but I know and trust my Phantom in high winds. I have flown in Tripod mode (same as precision mode) in 20mph winds and the Phantom gets the job done. I have also flown it in 35mph winds, where I had to do an emergency switch to sports mode to get it flying forward. I know that the Evo can do all of this to a certain degree, but until I get some more flight time on it and learn it's limitations, I can't answer with certainty.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supa_jb