Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Why does the fan run all the time

Eklund

Reaction score
I just bought an "EVO 2 PRO" with a 6K camera. have installed "Autel Explorer" V / 1.1.7.10 on an Android and firmware updated the controller and the drone to 2.5.12 has never had it in the air
or started. The drone's fan runs all the time when I turn on the drone - all the time the fan also runs when updating how and why does the fan
run all the time - how do I get it off?

The EVO 2 is a complex almost commercial drone, way beyond your play thing, the processor is similar to an Intel Core 5, in your PC or Laptop the fan runs all the time to keep it cool, even on tick over a lot of heat is generated, exactly the same for your new drone, you will find it doesn't draw a great deal of current in standby mode i.e. when doing updates etc. so it is normal and nothing to be concerned about, now flying it and not crashing is something to worry about.... :) good luck with the first flight, can I suggest Novice mode for at least the first couple of try outs... Cheers

I noticed that when I first started flying the E2P also. I've just accepted it as a good insurance policy to keep the Drone from overheating. I accept that it burns battery. The flight times on this Drone are awesome. So no worries from me.

Reactions: Eklund
The EVO 2 is a complex almost commercial drone, way beyond your play thing, the processor is similar to an Intel Core 5, in your PC or Laptop
Just to be correct it's not Intel. If I'm not mistaken EVO2 has NVidia board with ARM processor and NVidia GPU which does all image processing.

The fan will always run anytime the drone is powered on. Just like Charmin said, its like your computer. The fan runs to keep the board inside the drone cool. It is in essence, a flying computer. The controller also has a fan to keep the board inside it cool especially with the built-in display. You cannot control the fans. So yes it is normal for them to be on.

Reactions: Andrew01 and Eklund
it does not have a Nvidia GPU
:) don't tell me it's Intel or AMD... CPU alone cannot do tracking and OA. Mention of Nvidia I've seen somewhere, in EVO2 promo video I think. It's one of the latest boards designed for robotics, with many camera inputs. They are used for OA cameras. GPU does all processing of the videos from all cameras, and the main camera too with hardware compression. Even the latest CPUs cannot do it in software, Intel's have hardware encoders too.

:) don't tell me it's Intel or AMD... CPU alone cannot do tracking and OA. Mention of Nvidia I've seen somewhere, in EVO2 promo video I think. It's one of the latest boards designed for robotics, with many camera inputs. They are used for OA cameras. GPU does all processing of the videos from all cameras, and the main camera too with hardware compression. Even the latest CPUs cannot do it in software, Intel's have hardware encoders too.
hi3559 v100 from what is seen in FCCid reporting

hi3559 v100 from what is seen in FCCid reporting
It doesn't do 6k, only 4k/30fps, up to 100Mbs. Looks too weak. We are talking about EVO2, not 1, right? Max resolution 4608x3456. only 2 video inputs, EVO2 needs 12 at least.

PS: you are may be right, and video from the main camera is encoded by something else. But tracking and OA need more compute power.

Thank you so much for the many great answers - I was just worried because I thought it sounded a bit like a "vacuum cleaner" so I just thought I had probably done something wrong - did not think I can find youtube videos where I can hear the same loud sound. But if it's going to be like this then I'm really happy and do not have to worry because things are as they should be.

Here you can hear how much it actually blows and it's totally OK?

Again thanks for the many great answers - good flight to all it's just so much fun

That's normal. Just a fan sucking and blowing air through shallow/thin ducts. There really isn't any need for them to design the fan/cooling system RPM to be dependent on temperature or load. It's a piece of equipment that's intended to be in the air and not sitting quietly and comfortably on a desk.

Hi, to give a newbie a sort of idea why his fan is on all of the time... "the processor is similar to an Intel Core 5" and the reason it is on.... not that the EVO uses a I5, thank god... anyway I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.... ha-ha.....

Reactions: verticalflyer
Thank you so much for the many great answers - I was just worried because I thought it sounded a bit like a "vacuum cleaner" so I just thought I had probably done something wrong - did not think I can find youtube videos where I can hear the same loud sound. But if it's going to be like this then I'm really happy and do not have to worry because things are as they should be.

Here you can hear how much it actually blows and it's totally OK?

Again thanks for the many great answers - good flight to all it's just so much fun

Wish mine was a quiet as that..... that is normal....

The Evo 2 runs hot especially in Ludicrous mode. I would often hit 140F at high speed. I fixed that problem though. I removed the orange shell casing on the sides of the evo 2. note the Orange shell is not a structural component. All the sensors and electronics are attached to an internal box shaped frame. The orange shell protects the electronics from dust, debris, vapor, water droplets etc. Now my evo 2 battery never gets hotter than 130F. I can even get it cooler by flying it sideways. This gets the lowers the temp by about 10 degrees F while flying in ludicrous. SO far I haven't reached over 126F while flying in Ludicrous mode at 45 MPH. I can usually get it down to 119F when I fly sideways.

The Evo 2 runs hot especially in Ludicrous mode. I would often hit 140F at high speed. I fixed that problem though. I removed the orange shell casing on the sides of the evo 2. note the Orange shell is not a structural component. All the sensors and electronics are attached to an internal box shaped frame. The orange shell protects the electronics from dust, debris, vapor, water droplets etc. Now my evo 2 battery never gets hotter than 130F. I can even get it cooler by flying it sideways. This gets the lowers the temp by about 10 degrees F while flying in ludicrous. SO far I haven't reached over 126F while flying in Ludicrous mode at 45 MPH. I can usually get it down to 119F when I fly sideways.
you removed the shell on your drone for a 10 degree difference?
@140 degrees is normal for this much electronics packed in such a small package.

I only removed the plastic along the vent openings (rectangular openings) on each side. I did it because my EVO2 drones' batteries were frequently exceeding maximum recommended operating temps. 2 of them had the pins between the battery and aircraft fuse causing the aircraft(s) to go into total power failure and thus crash. AUTEL recommends not to exceed a battery operating temp of 140F anyway. I also live in Florida where it gets sweltering hot. Keeping them cooler also helps keep the batteries from developing that swelling everyone talks about. Best of all, IT WORKS! Once, I actually had the battery get to 135F when flying full power forward, I turned it sideways and kept flying at full speed, The temp dropped to 119 by the time I reached my destination.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo