Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

WETSUIT

MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS

Reaction score
So I just purchased a wetsuit from Phantom rain wetsuits for my E2P. Any thoughts? Seems like a good concept and I have watched all the videos on the website and read many reviews before my purchase. I will post some pictures and my review when I get it.

• Haha
Reactions: PingSpike
So I just purchased a wetsuit from Phantom rain wetsuits for my E2P. Any thoughts? Seems like a good concept and I have watched all the videos on the website and read many reviews before my purchase. I will post some pictures and my review when I get it.

Hi Mitchell,
The only problem that I can see would be an excessive amount of heat build up from the battery discharge and electronics. Excessive heat will shorten your battery life and cause swelling which will render the battery of no use or safe to fly with. That is the only thing that I can see as it is air and water tight. John Hennessy. HEAT is the KILLER of ALL ELECTRONICS and ESPECIALLY THE HV LIPO Battery that we have. The fan exhaust has to vent out some where from the EVO, that is another problem,if it lands on water and stops and floats the water gets through the fan vent any way. Just my thoughts, great idea but some more answers before I hand over the $$$$. John Hennessy.

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
Hi Mitchell,
The only problem that I can see would be an excessive amount of heat build up from the battery discharge and electronics. Excessive heat will shorten your battery life and cause swelling which will render the battery of no use or safe to fly with. That is the only thing that I can see as it is air and water tight. John Hennessy. HEAT is the KILLER of ALL ELECTRONICS and ESPECIALLY THE HV LIPO Battery that we have. The fan exhaust has to vent out some where from the EVO, that is another problem,if it lands on water and stops and floats the water gets through the fan vent any way. Just my thoughts, great idea but some more answers before I hand over the $$$$. John Hennessy.

I had the same concern about the heat especially here in Las Vegas. Coal at [email protected] (Owner) said that the neoprene helps disperse the heat even better. The suit does have openings for the vents. Thank you very much for your opinion I value it. I will post some pictures and my findings when I receive the product. It doesn't rain much here in Las Vegas, but when it does it's monsoon.

I had the same concern about the heat especially here in Las Vegas. Coal at [email protected] (Owner) said that the neoprene helps disperse the heat even better. The suit does have openings for the vents. Thank you very much for your opinion I value it. I will post some pictures and my findings when I receive the product. It doesn't rain much here in Las Vegas, but when it does it's monsoon.
Hi Mitchell,
I find his statement very hard to believe. A divers wetsuit is made of the same material and that is to hold the heat into the body while keeping the cold from getting in. This is achieved by having a barrier next to the skin which is hot and it holds it there and not allow the cold water to ingress into the suit to sap you of your body heat. But I am following with interest. The only way would be to fly a full battery before you apply the suit and take the temps everywhere including the battery and the area inside the battery box with an infrared thermometer and then do the same thing when you apply the wetsuit. Neoprene by the structure of the material is an insulator, not a conductor of thermal transfer. But I am following with great interest. Why I am interested in that to achieve the flight times of the EVO 2 the battery has to dissipate a lot of heat in the process along with all of the electronics, that is why most of the long flight drones made these days have fans in them or the batteries are external and open like all the big commercial drones. There have only been a few reports of swollen batteries but now that the summer is coming in Australia I for one will be watching both of our EVO'S 8K and 6K very closely. We run an inspection business and also have Yuneec Typhoon H's as well as these two new ones and an ANARFI. I made a mod Tower for the YUNEEC'S to shift the GPS and COMPASS MODULE away from the heat and also put a 7 cu/ft /min fan on it and have no problems for the last three years since I first made them. NO COMPASS OR GPS ERRORS OR DISCONNECTIONS. I will be pulling one of ours apart soon to see what we can do to get a higher volume of airflow through the body.
Regards, Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Hi Mitchell,
I find his statement very hard to believe. A divers wetsuit is made of the same material and that is to hold the heat into the body while keeping the cold from getting in. This is achieved by having a barrier next to the skin which is hot and it holds it there and not allow the cold water to ingress into the suit to sap you of your body heat. But I am following with interest. The only way would be to fly a full battery before you apply the suit and take the temps everywhere including the battery and the area inside the battery box with an infrared thermometer and then do the same thing when you apply the wetsuit. Neoprene by the structure of the material is an insulator, not a conductor of thermal transfer. But I am following with great interest. Why I am interested in that to achieve the flight times of the EVO 2 the battery has to dissipate a lot of heat in the process along with all of the electronics, that is why most of the long flight drones made these days have fans in them or the batteries are external and open like all the big commercial drones. There have only been a few reports of swollen batteries but now that the summer is coming in Australia I for one will be watching both of our EVO'S 8K and 6K very closely. We run an inspection business and also have Yuneec Typhoon H's as well as these two new ones and an ANARFI. I made a mod Tower for the YUNEEC'S to shift the GPS and COMPASS MODULE away from the heat and also put a 7 cu/ft /min fan on it and have no problems for the last three years since I first made them. NO COMPASS OR GPS ERRORS OR DISCONNECTIONS. I will be pulling one of ours apart soon to see what we can do to get a higher volume of airflow through the body.

Thank you for the information!
Updates to follow. As Alan Pearlman says "Blue Skies, safe flying!"

John Hennessy has said it all. making Diving I can confirm the thermal insulation of the neoprene. Climbing up from 2 ° water, I can confirm that more than once I climbed up onto the deck of the sweaty boat. I also doubt the good cooling of the Evo in this skin, even in the rain.

From what I have seen, all these arguments have been used over at phantompilots and mavicpilot forums and yet to see a single user of phantomrain products complain about overheating of their drones.

Although what @John Hennessy say it's true, somehow @phantomrain.org made it work for drones. Do an experiment. Take control values of temperature before and install the suit. See how it changes and decide for yourself if it's worth it or not.

The cooling of any UAV is done with vents to let out hot air and suck cool air in and most have a cooling fan with heat sinks. The maker of this product has said the suit is designed so the the vents still operate the way they are suppose to but helps prevent rain from getting in. I see no reason it would over heat.

Hi Mitchell,

Keep In Mind: The Wet Suit is really Extremely Thin: 1. 5mm to 3mm so not quite like a True Diving Wet Suit.
Despite being so thin its incredibly functional at providing protection to the Battery and the Vents and the Power Button.

Over 5000 units sold of the Mavic Wet Suits and no over heating issues of any kind have ever been reported and none of the dozens of test we have performed have shown more than 4 degree increase in heat on the battery. Minimal amount in a straight
hover position.

If you fly in the rain or get caught in the Rain the Wet Suit which weighs 0.04 ounce is going to be a really nice tool to give you peace of mind and not have to panic knowing the Battery is sealed air tight and the Vents have extra coverage.

For me Just getting rid of the Bright Orange was a blessing
, and the Neoprene offers a Non Slip Grip which is secure and I also found myself hitting the Power Button by accident way to many times so I provided some protection for that also.

If you know your going up in the Rain. you can Baton down the Hatches with the Plugs to provide some protection for those sensors on top as they take the most beating .

Thanks for your Interest.
Phantomrain.org

Gear to fly your EVO 2 in the Rain

Keep In Mind: The Wet Suit is really Extremely Thin: 1. 5mm to 3mm so not quite like a True Diving Wet Suit.
Despite being so thin its incredibly functional at providing protection to the Battery and the Vents and the Power Button.

Over 5000 units sold of the Mavic Wet Suits and no over heating issues of any kind have ever been reported and none of the dozens of test we have performed have shown more than 4 degree increase in heat on the battery. Minimal amount in a straight
hover position.

If you fly in the rain or get caught in the Rain the Wet Suit which weighs 0.04 ounce is going to be a really nice tool to give you peace of mind and not have to panic knowing the Battery is sealed air tight and the Vents have extra coverage.

For me Just getting rid of the Bright Orange was a blessing
, and the Neoprene offers a Non Slip Grip which is secure and I also found myself hitting the Power Button by accident way to many times so I provided some protection for that also.

If you know your going up in the Rain. you can Baton down the Hatches with the Plugs to provide some protection for those sensors on top as they take the most beating .

Thanks for your Interest.
Phantomrain.org

Gear to fly your EVO 2 in the Rain
Thanks for the info & additional insight.
I am on the Mavic & Inspire sites and have read several positive posts of wetsuit, and several additional questions posts... haven't seen one expressing overheating. I'd think the suit would insulate, but maybe for it's intended usage that hasn't been a major factor.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials