Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Well, It’s final, the XStar is a POS!

how would you compare the phantom 3 se version to the XSP?
For $600, it specs out virtually identical it seems...and i would gladly take a styrofoam case, given all the 3rd party apps...your thoughts?

Phantom 3 SE - DJI
Specs are not Identical. One critical difference is that the phantom 3se will not record at 2.7K at 60FPS. You need a Phantom 4 Pro to get that in DJI.

Specs are not Identical. One critical difference is that the phantom 3se will not record at 2.7K at 60FPS. You need a Phantom 4 Pro to get that in DJI.

30fps is ok by me ... We downsample videos to 1080p for most clients anyways, less headaches for us if they can view it without issues...we fly mostly nadir mapping routes and panos, so having 3rd party grid mapping is a big dji plus....i wish my pumpkin could grid map w an app...

how would you compare the phantom 3 se version to the XSP?
For $600, it specs out virtually identical it seems...and i would gladly take a styrofoam case, given all the 3rd party apps...your thoughts?

Phantom 3 SE - DJI
I have the XSP as well as a Phantom 3 S. For all intents and purposes, the P3S has the same flight control characteristics as the SE version. The XSP is better in every way, shape and form...except for that damn critical battery drop issue which is the only reason to go to DJI. The XSP is on the P4P level of drones. The SE is a glorified S at twice the price. The S is absolutely an excellent drone, I am not trying to take away from it at all, but the XSP is that much better, plain & simple.

My P3S has cost me money while the XSP has paid for itself multiple times over. You can take it to the bank when I say the XSP blows the P3SE away...

Reactions: j3X
so im getting someone a photo drone as a gift, staying under $1000. its thier first drone.. Im not getting them an Autel XSP refurb, its out of production...that would be rude...the p3 se appears to have much better range than the standard s. and at $600, i could throw in a case and extra batteries....the camera on the p4 or mavic doesnt seem any better than the p3 se.

The range is better I've heard. But I'm talking actual flight characteristics. And I've had my P3S out [and verified on the P3S forums] over a mile out. It all depends on conditions as to the range actually attained. On any drone. The only camera that beats the XSP is the P4P camera with its 1" sensor. The p3S at 2.7k is an outstanding camera that is difficult, if not impossible to discern from 4k, with the naked eye. At least from what I've seen. Of course, the larger the viewing screen, the more differences will be noticed so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

EDIT - Also, as a side note, the P3s going over a mile IS NOT a regular occurance. Normally max distance for me is 2500'.

The range is better I've heard. But I'm talking actual flight characteristics. And I've had my P3S out [and verified on the P3S forums] over a mile out. It all depends on conditions as to the range actually attained. On any drone. The only camera that beats the XSP is the P4P camera with its 1" sensor. The p3S at 2.7k is an outstanding camera that is difficult, if not impossible to discern from 4k, with the naked eye. At least from what I've seen. Of course, the larger the viewing screen, the more differences will be noticed so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

EDIT - Also, as a side note, the P3s going over a mile IS NOT a regular occurance. Normally max distance for me is 2500'.

thanks for your first hand experience comparing the p3se and xsp....i do fly the p4p at work for nadir mapping and making 3d models...and it is sweet albiet 7 mb an image, and the tablet os+mapping app+p4p go 4 app+ imu firmware update chain isnt broken that day...i know a couple people with p3s sitting in closets cause they dont have the patience to get over the setup and app learning hump....much less do the calibration dance....ha!

Reactions: Squirrel!
With DJI overwhelming the market, there is little hope for us with Autel.
Just to give example. Tried to fly my xstar, just to have major problems and no flight.
All updates were spot on, however to no evail. The machine only just wants to crash.
Luckily, I saved it from that, however just to make note as many others, Autel can no longer hold there own. Promises of new cameras and nothing. Autel should be ashamed!
I have retired my X Star. Obviously it will never fly again. Sad!! Waisted money!
DJI Rules..
If you feel that way why post here? Go post on DJI! Most who post here have reason to believe the X Star has much to offer compared to other makers. That is how DJI got going in the market. I believe your post is unwarranted and unwanted here. So, Blue Bird, take it elsewhere!

That may be the case if your a android user. If you use a IOS device and updated to 11.2, Starlink does not function correctly and only connects to half of the aircraft. RC only partially connects and camera settings are unavailable.
They say there are working on some type of patch, but that’s well over a month ago.
With all that money you spend on so many birds... seems to me using an android device shouldn't be a problem. IOS sucks anyway.

LOL this is from the recent weekly topics (notice the fly aways and crashes)

Mavic Pro Discussions
Lost my DJI Mavic pro on my first flight [ DRONE FOUND]
Govorin

General Discussions
Guy Threw My Mavic Into The Ocean
Moose408

Mavic Pro Discussions
Ocean Crash - Resolved
juzzyx

Mavic Pro Discussions
MP just 'blew' away yesterday.
RattleHunter

CrystalSky Monitors
Just ordered CrystalSky monitor
Gerry65

Mavic Pro Discussions
Flying in the fog/clouds
mike55

Mavic Pro Discussions
It happened! Crashed
Hayabusa

Mavic Pro Discussions
Sitting and flying
slimcobra

Mavic Pro Platinum Discussion
What to do if... Wind takes a your drone?
ThePaulius

General Discussions
Military aircraft flying no airports or military bases close by
saboken

The list above of does not show any flyaways at all, two were wind issues, not flyaways and all models can crash for a variety of reasons. Also, many flyaways are not really a 'flyaway' but operator error. I admin on our 10 drone forums and very rarely do I see an actual aircraft issue that causes a true flyaway. I love my Autel but as of right now, if I had to choose, it would be a DJI product.

I may be 'old school', but why does everyone want Autel to keep coming out with new stuff? Just to keep up with DJI? DJI comes out with new stuff every couple months (or so it seems) and then there's problems because they didn't quite finish the testing. I still belong to the Phantom part of this site (because I still have my ancient Phantom 2 Vision, which I don't fly anymore) and read about all sorts of troubles. More, I think, than I read about with our pumpkins. I personally still love my pumpkin. It does everything I want it to do. It hasn't flown away, crashed, or failed to start. I've had a few issues with the video but I seem to have eliminated them (thanks to this site and fellow pilots coming to my rescue).

Back in the 50's and 60's, automobile companies changed their body styles almost yearly. Had to have something new to sell. Nowadays they seem to keep their 'winning' (if they have winning) body styles for years, maybe changing a tail light or a crease in the quarter panel.

I guess I'm under-expectant (new word there . . .), not really caring if Autel puts out new quads. Unless there's some earth shattering improvement (and I'm not even sure what that would be), I'm totally satisfied with my unit.

And get this, if Autel announced they were shutting the doors, I wouldn't care. I would still love my quad and continue flying it - as long as I could.

Just my two cents worth.

I may be 'old school', but why does everyone want Autel to keep coming out with new stuff? Just to keep up with DJI? DJI comes out with new stuff every couple months (or so it seems) and then there's problems because they didn't quite finish the testing. I still belong to the Phantom part of this site (because I still have my ancient Phantom 2 Vision, which I don't fly anymore) and read about all sorts of troubles. More, I think, than I read about with our pumpkins. I personally still love my pumpkin. It does everything I want it to do. It hasn't flown away, crashed, or failed to start. I've had a few issues with the video but I seem to have eliminated them (thanks to this site and fellow pilots coming to my rescue).

Back in the 50's and 60's, automobile companies changed their body styles almost yearly. Had to have something new to sell. Nowadays they seem to keep their 'winning' (if they have winning) body styles for years, maybe changing a tail light or a crease in the quarter panel.

I guess I'm under-expectant (new word there . . .), not really caring if Autel puts out new quads. Unless there's some earth shattering improvement (and I'm not even sure what that would be), I'm totally satisfied with my unit.

And get this, if Autel announced they were shutting the doors, I wouldn't care. I would still love my quad and continue flying it - as long as I could.

Just my two cents worth.

I'm with you brother. I will be glad when the mass hysteria dies down a little. Just fly it, it fly's great.

Reactions: Tommy Molnar

Just my two cents worth.
I'm with you Tommy... Love my X Star and no matter what happens that will not change. I spent a lot of time reading about the different drone choices out there trying to decide which one to buy as a newbie. 3 reasons why I went with Autel...
1. cost
2. Easy to fly along with great customer support
3. Did not like the way the other drones looked.
Especially the DJI's, they looked cheap to me. So far I could not be happier with the Pumpkin!
Although it would be nice to see or know that Autel was focusing on perfecting the flying capabilities and controlls of this great product. I believe they can improve a lot on video link and flight range. Another company makes an antenna that really improves flight range and controller link up. Autel should be the one marketing such an antenna for their product. They have a great bird to start with but man they can really improve it and simply destroy their competitors. No matter what, I'm with the Pumpkin and that's where I will stay very well!

I'm with you Tommy... Love my X Star and no matter what happens that will not change. I spent a lot of time reading about the different drone choices out there trying to decide which one to buy as a newbie. 3 reasons why I went with Autel...
1. cost
2. Easy to fly along with great customer support
3. Did not like the way the other drones looked.
Especially the DJI's, they looked cheap to me. So far I could not be happier with the Pumpkin!
Although it would be nice to see or know that Autel was focusing on perfecting the flying capabilities and controlls of this great product. I believe they can improve a lot on video link and flight range. Another company makes an antenna that really improves flight range and controller link up. Autel should be the one marketing such an antenna for their product. They have a great bird to start with but man they can really improve it and simply destroy their competitors. No matter what, I'm with the Pumpkin and that's where I will stay very well!
You guys have said it all, my feelings exactly! If Autel were to shut down tomorrow (which ain't going to happen), we'd be left with exactly the same level of support that most folks I know get when they have an issue with their P3.

Last edited:
Why would anybody rent a 2500 square foot space at the worlds premier electronics show, fly people a few thousand miles put them up in these expensive hotels, just so they could shut the doors, makes perfect sense to me!!

I bought my pumpkin in March 2017, on the hype of their 2017 CES announcements of SDK release (3rd party apps) , and two new cameras for the XSP, including the flir duo...I thought buying a removable gimble would be the way to go verses any p3 or the p4 at the time.....I do love the pumpkin and it does fly great, but like many here, I feel Autel lied to me. I will have a hard time believing any announcement at CES 2018, they have no cred with me, and thats a shame cause the XSP is a good drone that was destined for greatness.

Why would anybody rent a 2500 square foot space at the worlds premier electronics show, fly people a few thousand miles put them up in these expensive hotels, just so they could shut the doors, makes perfect sense to me!!
I heard from Autel yesterday... customer support said they aren't going anywhere. Not to believe the rumors and they are alive and well. They are not going out of business and they plan on being around a long time. I was told they are expecting a great 2018 for the company and for their new and loyal customers. He would not say what was planned for CES only to say that they are and will be a major player in the drone market. So there must be something happening for Autel's future plans because it's obvious they have been regrouping most of last year. The waiting to hear from them about anything positive is frustrating. It could be just what they want. We shall see soon!

I bought my pumpkin in March 2017, on the hype of their 2017 CES announcements of SDK release (3rd party apps) , and two new cameras for the XSP, including the flir duo...I thought buying a removable gimble would be the way to go verses any p3 or the p4 at the time.....I do love the pumpkin and it does fly great, but like many here, I feel Autel lied to me. I will have a hard time believing any announcement at CES 2018, they have no cred with me, and thats a shame cause the XSP is a good drone that was destined for greatness.
Still is... too early to throw out the Pumpkin. This is a great drone and I will not give up on Autel until they say it's over. Don't think thats going to happen. I talked to CS yesterday and they said they are not going out of business and not to believe the rumors. They said they are alive and well. Gearing up for 2018 so look at it as a delay not a lie.

Reactions: Tommy Molnar
I talked to CS yesterday and they said they are not going out of business and not to believe the rumors.

And what rumors are they referring to? The only "rumors" I've seen are from disgruntled pilots on this and other Autel related sites who were seemingly expecting Autel to start churning out 'new' stuff constantly like DJI.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raeveren