Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Weight

What alot of people need to realise is thier scales could not be accurate scales need to be callibtated regularly to be dead on
What a lot of people need to realize is if they (at least here in the USA) want to OOP, especially hovering over large groups or assemblies, and dont have prop guards, prop cages, having exposed rotating parts, and, not having their credentials (at least here in US), they may have heavier issues that may weigh upon them should a LEO approach them to ask what they are doing. Getting a scale out would probably not be to high on the scale of what they are going to discuss. All pun intended.

Last edited:
Reactions: ADOC
Weight of Nano Plus is not a user problem. It is important what producer claims.
Fly safe.
At least here in the US, it is the responsibility of the user/operator/remote pilot to be aware of the weight of their aircraft/drone for knowing when to register, as well as when adding options. Granted, the manufacture is responsible for delivering a product at a given weight that is specified. Otoh, the operator is responsible for knowing the takeoff weight of aircraft/drone with prop guards and prop cages, leg extenders, extra lights, other things that push its weight above allowable limits particular for oop etc.

Last edited:
At least in the US, it is the responsibility of the user/operator/remote pilot to be aware of the weight of their aircraft/drone for knowing when to register, as well as when adding options. Granted, the manufacture is responsible for delivering a product at a given weight that is specified. Otoh, the operator is responsible for knowing the takeoff weight of aircraft/drone with prop guards and prop cages, leg extenders, extra lights, other things that push its weight above allowable limits particular for oop etc.
Why someone want to upgrade nano or mini? Prop guards are for lames.. If someone don't know how to flight safe shouldn't fly drone. Prop guards are for indoors.

At least in the US, it is the responsibility of the user/operator/remote pilot to be aware of the weight of their aircraft/drone for knowing when to register, as well as when adding options. Granted, the manufacture is responsible for delivering a product at a given weight that is specified. Otoh, the operator is responsible for knowing the takeoff weight of aircraft/drone with prop guards and prop cages, leg extenders, extra lights, other things that push its weight above allowable limits particular for oop etc.
Enough with the FUD .....C'mon....

Reactions: Admund
Yup, use them indoors for commercial projects including when you no GPS or in atti mode :)
Many times i was flying with EVO II pro indoors. Very stable. You should swith off only rth for but if you know what you are doing it is not needed.

Many times i was flying with EVO II pro indoors. Very stable. You should swith off only rth for but if you know what you are doing it is not needed.
Yup, I regularly fly them indoors for projects, sometimes will also turn OA off/on as needed. Without the GPS you can get some drift, however if used to flying by the sticks and anticipate any drift, dont get caught reacting, it can do some amazing things.

What a lot of people need to realize is if they want to OOP, especially hovering over large groups or assemblies, and dont have prop guards, prop cages, having exposed rotating parts, and, not having their credentials (at least in US), they may have heavier issues that may weigh upon them should a LEO approach them to ask what they are doing. Getting a scale out would probably not be to high on the scale of what they are going to discuss. All pun intended.
Just because a police officer approaches you while flying does not obligate you in any way to answer any question he asks you. Unless he can articulate a crime which he has reasonable suspicion that you have, are, or are about to commit then the conversation is consentual and you do not have to present ID and you do not have to engage him in conversation.

Its still open for debate if an officer can even walk up and demand to see your drone registrations and licenses just simply because he saw you flying a drone without a prerequisite violation or probable cause. LEOs are insisting that they can demand it from any pilot at any time without any cause. Of course they would automatically assume the most restrictive positon, wouldnt they.

Yet, I have adamantly refused to present them with any license or registration that pertains to flying on the grounds that 1)It violates the 4th Amendment in regards to unlawful ID requests. 2)Is fundamentally no different than randomly stopping drivers who broke no laws and demanding to see their license and registration and therefore unlawful, and 3) by no reasonable means could they possibly have any awareness of if my aircraft is required to register or if I am conducting flight operations which require a license therefore and cannot infer either condition upon me if such an inference would imply any wrongdoing without probable cause. Its gotten pretty hairy once or twice but none of em have hooked me up for it yet. Honestly, I think theyre as clueless as we are about how these laws will be interpreted and enforced. Before we can get that clarity we need a case to make it to the Federal Appellate level to get a definitive ruling. I keep on trying my hardest to start climbing that ladder but none of em will take the bait. Lol.

Personally, I suspect that a federal court would rule similarly to my interpretation but will disgustingly misinterpret the significance of some technical or operational element due to being completely ignorant about how drones and flying them really works that completely fucks up how the law will be applied. Probably something to do with VLOS or the weight requirement I would suspect.

Do not ever forget these facts when flying your drone and Police approach you:

1. You have a constitutional right to photograph anything your eyes can see when standing on public property. That is irrefutable fact which is regonized by every court in the country.

2. The simple act of flying a drone is not illegal. Nor is being "suspicious" a misdemeanor or felony in any state and does not compel you to prove your innocence of anything. Youre already innocent. They must prove youre guilty.

3. Regardless of any reasonable suspicion, probable cause, or evidence they may have that you are guilty of a crime, you are in no way whatsoever obligated to assist them with their investigation of that crime. They will use tricks you dont even know exist in order to get you to say or do something that implicates you, or that they can manipulate into implicating you. Police are professional case builders. They turn simple conversations into felony convictions every day. They have investigative conversations with all manner of people every day. They are better at this than you and if you engage them in conversation, YOU WILL LOSE. Once you are detained, do not say a single word. Avoid uttering or stating anything related to the 5th Amendment as claiming 5th Amendment protections can actually be interpreted as an admission of guilt. Substitute invoking your 5th Amendment rights with "I dont answer questions". Refuse all searches of your person or property, but do not resist an any way. You cant talk your way out of arrest. The courtroom is where you get to argue your case. Dont do anyting that makes your aruement harder to believe.

Just because a police officer approaches you while flying does not obligate you in any way to answer any question he asks you. Unless he can articulate a crime which he has reasonable suspicion that you have, are, or are about to commit then the conversation is consentual and you do not have to present ID and you do not have to engage him in conversation.

Its still open for debate if an officer can even walk up and demand to see your drone registrations and licenses just simply because he saw you flying a drone without a prerequisite violation or probable cause. LEOs are insisting that they can demand it from any pilot at any time without any cause. Of course they would automatically assume the most restrictive positon, wouldnt they.

Yet, I have adamantly refused to present them with any license or registration that pertains to flying on the grounds that 1)It violates the 4th Amendment in regards to unlawful ID requests. 2)Is fundamentally no different than randomly stopping drivers who broke no laws and demanding to see their license and registration and therefore unlawful, and 3) by no reasonable means could they possibly have any awareness of if my aircraft is required to register or if I am conducting flight operations which require a license therefore and cannot infer either condition upon me if such an inference would imply any wrongdoing without probable cause. Its gotten pretty hairy once or twice but none of em have hooked me up for it yet. Honestly, I think theyre as clueless as we are about how these laws will be interpreted and enforced. Before we can get that clarity we need a case to make it to the Federal Appellate level to get a definitive ruling. I keep on trying my hardest to start climbing that ladder but none of em will take the bait. Lol.

Personally, I suspect that a federal court would rule similarly to my interpretation but will disgustingly misinterpret the significance of some technical or operational element due to being completely ignorant about how drones and flying them really works that completely fucks up how the law will be applied. Probably something to do with VLOS or the weight requirement I would suspect.

1. You have a constitutional right to photograph anything your eyes can see when standing on public property. That is irrefutable fact which is regonized by every court in the country.

2. The simple act of flying a drone is not illegal. Nor is being "suspicious" a misdemeanor or felony in any state and does not compel you to prove your innocence of anything. Youre already innocent. They must prove youre guilty.

3. Regardless of any reasonable suspicion, probable cause, or evidence they may have that you are guilty of a crime, you are in no way whatsoever obligated to assist them with their investigation of that crime. They will use tricks you dont even know exist in order to get you to say or do something that implicates you, or that they can manipulate into implicating you. Police are professional case builders. They turn simple conversations into felony convictions every day. They have investigative conversations with all manner of people every day. They are better at this than you and if you engage them in conversation, YOU WILL LOSE. Once you are detained, do not say a single word. Avoid uttering or stating anything related to the 5th Amendment as claiming 5th Amendment protections can actually be interpreted as an admission of guilt. Substitute invoking your 5th Amendment rights with "I dont answer questions". Refuse all searches of your person or property, but do not resist an any way. You cant talk your way out of arrest. The courtroom is where you get to argue your case. Dont do anyting that makes your aruement harder to believe.
In the US when operating drones outdoors, a LEO or other person designated by the "Administrator" (e.g. head of FAA) can under the revised part 107 regulations (e.g. spring 2021) ask to see your 107 cert card, as well as a photo ID. Likewise persons designated by the "Administrator" can ask to see your registration clearly marked on the outside of your aircraft, as well as your aircraft paper registration (e.g. iirc as of Feb/Mar 2020). Otoh, if you are operating as a non 107 recreational/hobbyist, then you can be asked to show your TRUST certificate without a photo ID. Let me repeat that, if operating under hobby/rec e.g. the 44809 carve out, you can only be asked to see your TRUST and not a photo ID. As to what you as an operator choose to do is up to the operator similar if asked to see your license & registration when operating an automobile. Safe flying.

i agree with you 100% but obviously you will get a lot of pushback from ordinary people and the general flying public who feel the need to cooperate; ultimately it's their choice. do what you feel most comfortable with doing. i see you noted your state in the profile and you've mentioned a couple of time with leo, may i ask a bit more about it such as which leo departments?

also if you don't mind addressing these details for those who don't know much about the law, what happens when the police shift their focus away from the faa and start talking about privacy, disorderly conduct, trespassing, and perhaps some of the local ordinances that prohibit rc flying?

In the US when operating drones outdoors, a LEO or other person designated by the "Administrator" (e.g. head of FAA) can under the revised part 107 regulations (e.g. spring 2021) ask to see your 107 cert card, as well as a photo ID. Likewise persons designated by the "Administrator" can ask to see your registration clearly marked on the outside of your aircraft, as well as your aircraft paper registration (e.g. iirc as of Feb/Mar 2020). Otoh, if you are operating as a non 107 recreational/hobbyist, then you can be asked to show your TRUST certificate without a photo ID. Let me repeat that, if operating under hobby/rec e.g. the 44809 carve out, you can only be asked to see your TRUST and not a photo ID. As to what you as an operator choose to do is up to the operator similar if asked to see your license & registration when operating an automobile. Safe flying.
i understand what you said and why you are saying it but unfortunately this isn't true. i get it why would interpret it this way but you need to check with your legal time for the proper legal context. as you can imagine, i'm trying not to get too involved in the legal aspect, each drone flyer needs to do what he is comfortable with. for the most part, a state or local law enforcement officer doesn't have the legal authority to "demand" a drone license.

I disagree. Just because some bureaucrat writes some words down does not mean we must comply to it. Thats tyranny. And just because something is "Law" doesnt make it right. Judges overturn laws every day in this country. They overturned two big ones last week in case you missed it.

My interpretation of the law on this matter is that the 4th Amendment applies to any license and all registrations regarldess of the reason for it But in the case of Licenses and registrations as they pertain to UAV and lawful operation of UAVs in US Airspace, not all drones are required to register and not all pilots must be licensed in order to fly. Without credible foreknowledge the police cannot reasonably assume that either I or me are required to be documented therefore without a predicate offense or reasonable suspicion that I have, had, or am about to commit a crime then they do not have the authority to demand my Identification. And if a predicate offense or suspicion thereof does exist, unless such offense qualifies as an offense under the laws set forth by the FAA regarding UAV operation in US Air Space then the police cannot demand that I present any documnets that pertain UAV operation or ownership inside of public airspace.

No government agent has the authority or the right to walk up and demand Identification from law abiding citizens. And the simple act of flying a drone is not a sufficient cause to warrant their request for it.

I am absolutely 100% confident in my interpretation of this law and am prepared to drag this one into deep water. If they are confident in their position that I am required to comply then its real simple, Arrest me. They have that authority and I wont resist. Lets get this issue in front of a judge and see what they say. Ive passionately made this same arguemnt 7 times with 7 different cops. So far i have surrendered exactly zero documents to the police and been arrested exactly zero timrs. And thats not for a lack of effort either.

Guess they aint that confided in their arguement.

i agree with you 100% but obviously you will get a lot of pushback from ordinary people and the general flying public who feel the need to cooperate; ultimately it's their choice. do what you feel most comfortable with doing. i see you noted your state in the profile and you've mentioned a couple of time with leo, may i ask a bit more about it such as which leo departments?

also if you don't mind addressing these details for those who don't know much about the law, what happens when the police shift their focus away from the faa and start talking about privacy, disorderly conduct, trespassing, and perhaps some of the local ordinances that prohibit rc flying?
Most people believe theyre good citizens. They want to be good citizens. Good citizens comply. They say yes. Theyre so focused on being good that they never stop to question whether a law is right or wrong. Theyre only worried about not breaking it. Because good citizens obey. If youre a good citizen your basically a lap dog. It takes a moster to say no.

Secondly, I do not give out formal legal advice and nothing I say should be taken as such. I am offering my opinions about the law as I understand it based off of my education and lifes experiences. Nothing I say should be interpreted as official legal counsel and I urge anyone considering in engaging in any activity which may be unlawful to consult with a lawyer in your state before doing so. Now, that being said....

I dont normally disclose information about the officers I encounter nor the police departments they represent. I do record my engagements but do not normally share these recordings as any one of them at any time could become the subject of an active investigation or ongoing civil litigation. Im not one of those obnoxious youtube personalities chasing the dollars either through advertisement or a lawsuit. I have no interest whatsoever in embarrassing police or their department in any way and dedicate little time into educating the public. Generally speaking, the public doesnt want to learn. Most of them seem much more interested in telling me all the things Im doing wrong and how much they wish I would be arrested. I cant help a mind like that.

I focus primarily on educating the officers and helping them build a better understanding of the constitutional rights theyre sworn to uphold. If I can teach one cop just one thing he didnt know about the Constitution, then how many citizens lives will I ultimately impact throughout that officers career? And my true passion is for the law and its interpretation. I have more respect for the law than most would ever think I do judging solely off of my actions. But I love the law. I love its nuances , its subtleties, all the things that are good about it and even the things that are bad about it. Its out of this passion that I seek to help others understand its intent, meaning, and its application. Embarrassing and shaming cops does not help me in any way establish a rapport with officers or their departments. How can I make them understand my case if I act in a way which undermines my integrity at the expense of their honor? So its out of respect that I afford them discretion.

As for the last of your question, First off, there are no privacy laws in this country. HIPA is the only privacly law we have on the books and even it is extremely narrow in its scope; Your medical privacy is only guaranteed between you and your doctor and your employer. You do not have a right to medical privacy as far as, for example, what data facebook collects about you and shares with whoever. There is absolutely no right to privacy in America. None. In fact, our society and legal system is broadly structured so as to best serve the publics best interests. Most positions and interests will align for public safety, or public trust, or publin interest, or public transparency. Privacy is a dirty word in our legal system. And Law Enforcement is more responsible for the decimation of the publics entitlement to privacy. So if a cop ever dares start talking to me about privacy? I laugh in their face.

Disorderly Conduct is a tricky one. Its different from municipality to municipalitn most times. Is often very vague in its definition and open to interpretation. My epperience on how to grapple whit this issue is to always remember to handle yourseln such a way which will del;egitimize any claim that you were einb so. Dont yell, dont scream, dont be obnoxious and dont resist. If a cop wants to arrest you, then your going to get arrested. Noting you can say will stop that from happening. You cant do anything to improve your situation but you can do alot of things that will make it worse. Handle yourself professionally and reasonably. Remain calm and if you get jammed up, remember 2 things: 1) You signed on for this. No occupation is without hazards. And 2) to keep faith in your rightenousness and in the courts to get it right when you get your opportuity to present your case.

Tresspassing is simple. You cannot be tresspassed from public property. Stay off of private property.

And as far as local ordinances against flight? No municipality, city, county, or state has the authority or the jurisdiction to regulate flight of any kind by any craft within US Airspace. The FAA has been chartered as the SOLE authority of airspace in America. And they take that very seriously and have taken direct action against cities and counties which insisted on passing ordinances or laws which atempted to regulate flight of any kind. That being said, the FAA has acknowledged that their authority does not engage until the landing gear leaves the ground. Municipalities do retain the right to regulate the takeoff, and the landing of UAVs and the use of remote control devices in their jurisdiction.

These can get very tricky to navigate. The hardest part of it is that your already dealing with a hostile adversary. If theyve taken the effore to craft and pass these ordinances its almost guaranteed that they were not done so with any measure of objectivity. You will likely meet up against city officials and officers that have zero interest in entertaining any arguement on the matter. They do not like drones and will want to make an example out of every chance they get. This isnt to say that these cases cant be won but unless there is some overarching issue of constitutionality at stake, how much you stand to gain compared to the level of ******** you may have to endure to get has to be a part of the calculus. Unless youve got a slam dunk case of an over reach and abuse of power, I would advise that people take the time to be aware of any and all local ordinances in regards to drones and then plan yiour acditities accordingly to avoid becoming into conflict with them. Its just not worth it.

But despite my advice to prioritize limiting exposure to Local orders, I adamantly and without any reserve still assert that you absolutely do have the right to fly in public airspace, you aboolutely hae a right to do so in public spaces, You have the right to take photos or record anything that your eyes can see from public. Being suspiciojus is not against the law. And just because someone holds a badge doesnt mean their power is absolute. Any time, regardless of circumstnces, If you feel like your rights are being violated then your probably right and you shoud ablsolutely defend fiercely all of your constitutional rights. Regardless of what risk it may bring. Do not ever give them an inch which they did not deserve.

i understand what you said and why you are saying it but unfortunately this isn't true. i get it why would interpret it this way but you need to check with your legal time for the proper legal context. as you can imagine, i'm trying not to get too involved in the legal aspect, each drone flyer needs to do what he is comfortable with. for the most part, a state or local law enforcement officer doesn't have the legal authority to "demand" a drone license.
Not sure what you think or believe is not true in the US, and specifically as of May of 2021. Have a look at the following (e.g. from the federal register, e.g. CFR part 49, 107, scroll down to section 107.7, part (a), (1) & (2) and note item (iii), excerpt is below:

§ 107.7 Inspection, testing, and demonstration of compliance.
(a) A remote pilot in command, owner, or person manipulating the flight controls of a small unmanned aircraft system must -

(1) Have in that person's physical possession and readily accessible the remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating and identification when exercising the privileges of that remote pilot certificate.

(2) Present his or her remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating and identification that contains the information listed at § 107.67(b)(1) through (3) for inspection upon a request from -
Present his or her remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating and identification that contains the information listed at § 107.67(b)(1) through (3) for inspection upon a request from -

(i) The Administrator;

(ii) An authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board;

(iii) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer; or

(iv) An authorized representative of the Transportation Security Administration.

Read more at: Federal Register :: Request Access

Hope that helps clarify some things.

I disagree. Just because some bureaucrat writes some words down does not mean we must comply to it. Thats tyranny. And just because something is "Law" doesnt make it right. Judges overturn laws every day in this country. They overturned two big ones last week in case you missed it.

My interpretation of the law on this matter is that the 4th Amendment applies to any license and all registrations regarldess of the reason for it But in the case of Licenses and registrations as they pertain to UAV and lawful operation of UAVs in US Airspace, not all drones are required to register and not all pilots must be licensed in order to fly. Without credible foreknowledge the police cannot reasonably assume that either I or me are required to be documented therefore without a predicate offense or reasonable suspicion that I have, had, or am about to commit a crime then they do not have the authority to demand my Identification. And if a predicate offense or suspicion thereof does exist, unless such offense qualifies as an offense under the laws set forth by the FAA regarding UAV operation in US Air Space then the police cannot demand that I present any documnets that pertain UAV operation or ownership inside of public airspace.

No government agent has the authority or the right to walk up and demand Identification from law abiding citizens. And the simple act of flying a drone is not a sufficient cause to warrant their request for it.

I am absolutely 100% confident in my interpretation of this law and am prepared to drag this one into deep water. If they are confident in their position that I am required to comply then its real simple, Arrest me. They have that authority and I wont resist. Lets get this issue in front of a judge and see what they say. Ive passionately made this same arguemnt 7 times with 7 different cops. So far i have surrendered exactly zero documents to the police and been arrested exactly zero timrs. And thats not for a lack of effort either.

Guess they aint that confided in their arguement.
Good luck and safe flying.

Not sure what you think or believe is not true in the US, and specifically as of May of 2021. Have a look at the following (e.g. from the federal register, e.g. CFR part 49, 107, scroll down to section 107.7, part (a), (1) & (2) and note item (iii), excerpt is below:

§ 107.7 Inspection, testing, and demonstration of compliance.
(a) A remote pilot in command, owner, or person manipulating the flight controls of a small unmanned aircraft system must -

(1) Have in that person's physical possession and readily accessible the remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating and identification when exercising the privileges of that remote pilot certificate.

(2) Present his or her remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating and identification that contains the information listed at § 107.67(b)(1) through (3) for inspection upon a request from -
Present his or her remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating and identification that contains the information listed at § 107.67(b)(1) through (3) for inspection upon a request from -

(i) The Administrator;

(ii) An authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board;

(iii) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer; or

(iv) An authorized representative of the Transportation Security Administration.

Read more at: Federal Register :: Request Access

Hope that helps clarify some things.
i know what it says. not all of it is true. most of it is, some of it simply isn't my friend.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller