Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

"Weak Video Signal"

Ken Ramsley

Reaction score
EVO 1 - I'm getting 1/2 the distance before I see a "Weak Video Signal" warning. I'm running the latest firmware and Explorer app. Same drone as the last two years. Controls are smooth and properly responsive, even when I can't see where I'm going (seen in video recorded on board). Telemetry is smooth (no jitter in distance and altitude displays). GPS shows 3-4 bars. The control link shows a solid 5 bars. It feels like interference -- and I'm wondering if WiFi, 4G or 5G might be causing this? Could this be a failing RC? Bad USB cable connection? Any ideas are welcome.

1. pull the sim card out, and put phone in airplane mode if this is your monitor.

Hooray! Back to typical video link distances.

Here are four things I did to fix this...
1. Sit 100 feet away from the house and its noisy 2.4 Ghz WiFi router.
2. Switch my WiFi-only tablet into 'airplane mode" (stops tablet WiFi broadcasts).
3. Reinstall the Explorer app.
4. Use a shorter USB cable between RC and tablet (includes RF-filtering ferrite bead).

I did not test these steps independently. But all four make sense for maximizing video signal.

Thanks for the feedback and useful ideas!

proprio ieri ho fatto volare di nuovo la mia autel evo ea 50 metri stava già dando blocchi video
in pratica, non c'era ritorno in tempo reale
non stavo usando il solito telefono ma uno nuovo, un Samsung M31,
quindi ho inserito il cellulare modalità aereo e tutto è tornato alla normalità

EVO 1 - I'm getting 1/2 the distance before I see a "Weak Video Signal" warning. I'm running the latest firmware and Explorer app. Same drone as the last two years. Controls are smooth and properly responsive, even when I can't see where I'm going (seen in video recorded on board). Telemetry is smooth (no jitter in distance and altitude displays). GPS shows 3-4 bars. The control link shows a solid 5 bars. It feels like interference -- and I'm wondering if WiFi, 4G or 5G might be causing this? Could this be a failing RC? Bad USB cable connection? Any ideas are welcome.
What I am wondering is when you get these messages are they bogus, or are they real? That is, are you about to get a disconnect, or is this just a warning? I get them often, but ignore them, and so far, nothing bad has happened.

Reactions: mixchief

2. Switch my WiFi-only tablet into 'airplane mode" (stops tablet WiFi broadcasts).
4. Use a shorter USB cable between RC and tablet (includes RF-filtering ferrite bead).

I did not test these steps independently. But all four make sense for maximizing video signal.

im having the same issue with Samsung Tab A 8" worked fine to begin with but suddenly changed. how did you reinstall app with wifi off? using airplane mode!

I think the key thing you did was #1 and #2. Reinstalling the app probably doesn't do anything. And as for #4, just having a good quality cable is probably the best.
But interesting you use a tablet. I use an old Samsung cell phone. Sometimes I will use an iPad when I need more real estate. But I assume you use a tablet so you can get HDMI output, right?
Another question I have for you is, have you ever done a range test? If so, how much range are you getting?

I think the key thing you did was #1 and #2. Reinstalling the app probably doesn't do anything. And as for #4, just having a good quality cable is probably the best.
But interesting you use a tablet. I use an old Samsung cell phone. Sometimes I will use an iPad when I need more real estate. But I assume you use a tablet so you can get HDMI output, right?
Another question I have for you is, have you ever done a range test? If so, how much range are you getting?
just yesterday i did 2.2 miles but with a phone and not the tablet. check out my youtube channel. videos are on there. Stacey Reece autel evo drone footage Anderson SC

just yesterday i did 2.2 miles but with a phone and not the tablet. check out my youtube channel. videos are on there. Stacey Reece autel evo drone footage Anderson SC
Airplane mode has been the best results when I am going far or there might be obstructions in the way.

Agree on #1 and #2 as the most useful steps. I use the tablet for its bigger display. It's an old Samsung, and I often record the screen using AZ Screen Recorder. This records telelmtey for later review, and my comments during the flight -- but I do not output via HDMI. As for range, I have flown up to mile, and have not yet had a reason to fly any further. I generally try to stay within binocular-viewing range, and I get nervous beyond that distance.

i use the tab just as you do, no hdmi, just for bigger screen. i also have AZ recorder

Evo 1 or 2?

Evo 1 or 2?
evo 1 and i never lost a bar on GPS are Video transmission. Very happy with the EVO 1. Turned around because of battery percentage. when RTH i had 39% battery and 8 minute flight time left.

I have flown my EVO 1 with my iPad Mini, Samsung Cell and now my new Samsung TAB A and it seems like those warnings were more frequent when I was using the cell for a monitor. Also I have noticed that the warnings were appearing when the signal was showing 4 and even 5 bars. I just ignore the warnings and go with the signal bars and performance of the drone. I must add that I have far less warnings when flying with my new Samsung TAB A with both Wifi and Bluetooth turned off. I have owned 6 DJI drones and I must say that this EVO 1 is a beauty to fly and bye bye to DJI's control of my drone. Just a few days ago I got to fly out to 4km without any loss of signal and no jerky video. I believe the battery life will be the only deciding factor for me to return to home and at 4km I returned at the 12 minute countdown with about 35% battery left. I have full confidence when I fly my EVO.

Last edited:
I get tons of "video signal weak ..adjust the antenna angle on the remote control"

Video is fine, signal is fine. I wish I could disable that warning. It gets annoying when clients are on site, and they think there is a problem.

Reactions: PingSpike

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo