Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Dual Band Switching Performance

BlairAir

Reaction score
I've been testing the Dual Band Transmission system, somewhat informally, under real world (read inconsistent, and non-scientific) conditions.

Some observations:

1. To fly with both spectrums active, you must turn on dual band auto-switching manually after every restart of Autel Explorer... Default is 2.4 ghz.

2. Choices are 2.4ghz, 5.8ghz and Auto.

3. I'm fairly sure Autel can further improve automatic switching of bands. I am not clear on what parameters switching occurs; heavy interference, weak signal, some other parameter or combination of any of these.

Here is a typical scenario. I will fly a set path, in a known location. One I have used numerous times is down the length of a reservoir near me that is just over 1.5 miles. My tests run to 8000 feet, maximum. I can get a really consistent flight path as possible using a Waypoint Mission, but have only completed manual flights so far.

Test 1: 2.4 ghz - Altitude 175 ft. Distance 8000 feet. No "weak signal" warnings, but some image stutter, intermittently.
Test 2: Auto - Altitude 175 ft. Distance was just over 6500 feet, loss of signal, RTH. When I checked, the spectrum appeared to hold in 5.8. No attempt to switch, even when signal dropped enough to disconnect.
I did not perform a 5.8 ghz only test, though I had planned to. Time/available light fell short.

I plan to test further, and hope to have more data to share. Especially when/if I ever receive the V2 Smart Controller. Was not happy to see Autel shipping them with Enterprise kits 2 weeks after announcing them. They finally get something out the door on time, and it includes a piece of the hardware I've been waiting since early August, $1200, paid in full included in those kits. Good one Autel, profits before promises. Why would anyone expect anything different?

Reactions: nh phantom
Very informative post BlairAir,

Thank you for sharing your observations, You must be using Evo 2 V2, with V2 stock controller. That’s a good test there, running both 2.4ghz and Auto and you noticed it doesn’t change bands when it should. If you can, when your SC V2 arrives try running with hotspot on from your phone connected to SC. Try it both hotspot on and off. See if if switches bands in flight with hotspot on, I think it’s helping my SC V1 make the band switching when it’s suppose too.

Just this hour, here in the living room with Evo 2 Pro stationed on top of a plastic ice chest away from metal and concrete rebar. Connected SC V1 to my cell phone hotspot, then turned on Evo 2. Confirmed updates are current, then went to Image transmission to confirm Dual Band on Auto. And it was, As it was changing bands, took several pictures as it changed to a different band from 2.4ghz or 900ghz. This was inside my home here in the living room with air conditioner and television on.

To be honest, I’m still not sure if my SC V1 is suppose to actually have 900GHz. I’m seeing it, its there yet I’m reading it’s not suppose to have 900ghz.

I’ll attach several pics each showing a different band, all taken within a 7-10 minute period. Please excuse the poor picture detail, camera washed out parts of the image transmission bar.

Please do share future experiences with your SC V2 and Evo 2 V2.

All the best,
Paul

D6B833EF-0CD0-4A99-A322-F12CA2A97BA3.jpeg83686C75-60AA-4902-B584-C64A762944D9.jpeg1061443B-55A1-47E4-AA14-42B56DFF2BB4.jpegA6E184E5-2B56-46B1-A616-8E23E2B17844.jpegA6E184E5-2B56-46B1-A616-8E23E2B17844.jpegCC6B7CE9-14C8-4AA0-8AAF-101C5A8A6CAD.jpeg

Reactions: lukappaseidue
Wow. That's interesting. I have read 900mhz is not a permitted band in US, but your sure hitting it there. I wonder, if you have a Hotspot when outdoors does it hit thar segment?
The V2 Standard controller sets up two separate graphs (likely because it would be too wide (and tiny) to cover that wide a spectrum. I intend to do more testing g, particularly in switching behavior, and under what conditions/distances. We all know 5.8 is a bigger pipe for data, but less distance & penetration- but under the right conditions it can cover longer distance than you might expect.

I am REALLY anxious and interested to see V2 Smart Controller performance- they claim almost 50% improvement (13 vs 9 kilometers, I think?) I'll be happy to see performance at much less, as long as it's a solid connection, and manages interference and band switching. Also if "Auto" sticks between uses. If the Smart Controller adds any range or signal improvement, I'm good. DJI Smart Controller actually gives up range on my Air 2, considered an AlienTech rig, but not sure how much I'll be flying the couple DJI aircraft I have.

DJI's Occusync is really solid, but they have years of work tuning it, so that's to be expected.

Let's try to update this thread as we learn more. It's not like Autel will be providing this kind of info, lol!

Hello BlairAir,

Yes, outdoors it does switch bands in flight. However, after a certain distance itll lock on 2.4ghz.

if I switch off Auto and run both bands separately (manual) 2.4ghz goes further in the area I choose to compare both bands. 900GHz operates well up close but video feed starts to deteriorate as signal gets weaker, that’s if I run manual. In Auto it’ll stitch on its own.

The SC V1 will go 13km, but not enough battery to bring it back. I imagine SC V2 will match SC V1 on distance,I know some have not experienced good range with the SC V1 maybe it was due to interference. I’m a happy camper with my SC V1, transmission signal is as good as AlienTech booster with stock Evo 2 controller maybe a slight bit stronger with SC.

You’ll definitely see an improvement with signal strength, have a smile ear to ear glowing with excitement if not not the first flight probably the next.

Enjoy!

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58