Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Waypoints downgraded for Evo1?

Nightbat2

Reaction score
Up to now, I haven’t flown with waypoints because I didn’t need to. But I had read up on them and even planned a few ‘missions’ on my tablet. Now an instance has come up and I’d like to use waypoints for a ‘mission’. Someone tell me if I’m wrong—or what I’m missing—but you used to be able to set the direction of the camera for each waypoint and enter what you wanted the bird to do at the end of the flight (RTH, Land or Hover). Blowed if I can figure out how to do these things now. And yes, I’m using Waypoints under the MISSION tab, Where you can save them and because under the CAMERA tab you can no longer plot them without the drone and controller connected.

I believe that’s the current status you are stuck with if you are using Explorer app 1.1.3.0, the dual version for both Evo 1 & 2. If you want to regain all those convenient options such as plotting waypoints while laying on the couch with a tablet, changing camera direction, etc, you should revert back to Explorer 1.0.1.45. It was the last app that was specific for Evo 1 only. You will regain all those lost functions in the Camera mode.

Reactions: butch and Nightbat2
I believe that’s the current status you are stuck with if you are using Explorer app 1.1.3.0, the dual version for both Evo 1 & 2. If you want to regain all those convenient options such as plotting waypoints while laying on the couch with a tablet, changing camera direction, etc, you should revert back to Explorer 1.0.1.45. It was the last app that was specific for Evo 1 only. You will regain all those lost functions in the Camera mode.
Thanks. Any clues about how to revert?

Am I being overly suspicious or is this a kind of ‘planned obsolescence’ program for the EVO 1?

I’ve been focused on the rectangular / polygon missions with my EVO 1, (and there are issues with that side of Autel Explorer as well, which I’ve mentioned in another post) and I have not flown waypoint missions for a while now.

Can’t think why else such a downgrading of features would occur. Unless someone has heard more reasonable explanation from Autel. I’m open to hearing a valid reason why this is the case. I just hope Autel will be open and honest about it.

If this is how the EVO 1 is going to be treated by Autel, now that EVO II is the flagship drone, I’m not very impressed and will not purchase an EVO II out of pure principal.

I never like to go all ‘conspiracy theorist’ so I’d love to hear some rational reasons why I shouldn’t feel like the EVO 1 is being made intentionally obsolete.

All about more dollars (yen). Kind of like cars. New model, more bucks, bigger profit margin. The latest and greatest overshadows the older standby. The old standby becomes chopped liver and the everyone needs the new one. How business works today.

It would be a real pity if this is how they see it

I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they don’t want to alienate their customers by essentially abandoning the EVO 1 before it reached its full potential

Let’s hope EVO 1 gets some much needed mission planning upgrades

Reactions: Nightbat2
It would be a real pity if this is how they see it

I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they don’t want to alienate their customers by essentially abandoning the EVO 1 before it reached its full potential

Let’s hope EVO 1 gets some much needed mission planning upgrades
Not just upgrades—restoration of what it had would be a good start.

Not just upgrades—restoration of what it had would be a good start.

Good point.

I’d really like an explanation about the technical reasons why EVO 1 cannot currently handle the various mission planning / waypoint capabilities a) that it previously had, and b) that the EVO II has, such as forward overlap (and a properly working side overlap which changes with height), and also the ability to take photos after a selected distance of travel, rather than a time frequency.

Point of Interest would also be nice, but it’s not at the top of my list.

If it’s simply about withholding various mission planning / waypoint features which the EVO 1 is in fact capable of, just in the hopes that some people will buy the EVO II, then they’ve lost a future customer. I truly hope this isn’t the case.

I’ll fully understand if there’s valid technical reasons why certain mission planning / waypoint features cannot be implemented, as long as there’s an explanation which does not insult our intelligence. I just find their apparent unwillingness to respond to, or even acknowledge questions on their YouTube channel, or even their website, rather disappointing.

I’m hoping that the EVO 1 will get some love and attention once the EVO II mission planning and waypoint features are stable, and I understand it’s the flagship and will understandably take up a lot of the company’s time and energy.

I just hope they can find the time to elevate the EVO 1 to what we all think it can be.

Good point.

I’d really like an explanation about the technical reasons why EVO 1 cannot currently handle the various mission planning / waypoint capabilities a) that it previously had, and b) that the EVO II has, such as forward overlap (and a properly working side overlap which changes with height), and also the ability to take photos after a selected distance of travel, rather than a time frequency.

Point of Interest would also be nice, but it’s not at the top of my list.

If it’s simply about withholding various mission planning / waypoint features which the EVO 1 is in fact capable of, just in the hopes that some people will buy the EVO II, then they’ve lost a future customer. I truly hope this isn’t the case.

I’ll fully understand if there’s valid technical reasons why certain mission planning / waypoint features cannot be implemented, as long as there’s an explanation which does not insult our intelligence. I just find their apparent unwillingness to respond to, or even acknowledge questions on their YouTube channel, or even their website, rather disappointing.

I’m hoping that the EVO 1 will get some love and attention once the EVO II mission planning and waypoint features are stable, and I understand it’s the flagship and will understandably take up a lot of the company’s time and energy.

I just hope they can find the time to elevate the EVO 1 to what we all think it can be.
I can think of no logical reason to take away features, other than as you suggested—to sell more Evo 2s. I was up for a Pro later this year, but with this software ‘undevelopment‘ and the problem with getting batteries in Australia, I have decided to hold off.

Reactions: Bob Coughlan
Hey all,

Going to jump in and ask for some assistance. (I did some searching on the forum and read a few posts that were closely related to my issue, but haven't found a solution yet.)

I just picked up this Evo with 2 batteries- only 1 charge on each battery. No firmware upgrades to anything. So I downloaded the Explorer app for iOS and upgraded the firmware on the batteries and everything worked great.

Went out and flew the next day. No problems.

Coming from the DJI world, many of my contracts require the same flights over and over, and I used Litchi to preprogram all my flights, and never had an issue.

So I start reading about the Explorer waypoints, and I jump on you tube, and I see all these videos about planning missions. Not a big deal.

What is a big deal is that some of the features that are in the app in the video are not available on my version of the app. And I want those features.

So, the question(s) that I have are- is there a place that I can find the older versions of the Autel Explorer app, and if so- can I downgrade to an older version to gain access to those features in planning waypoint missions? Specifically, heading control and how waypoints are created.

I appreciate any feedback.

Cheers!

Hey all,

Going to jump in and ask for some assistance. (I did some searching on the forum and read a few posts that were closely related to my issue, but haven't found a solution yet.)

I just picked up this Evo with 2 batteries- only 1 charge on each battery. No firmware upgrades to anything. So I downloaded the Explorer app for iOS and upgraded the firmware on the batteries and everything worked great.

Went out and flew the next day. No problems.

Coming from the DJI world, many of my contracts require the same flights over and over, and I used Litchi to preprogram all my flights, and never had an issue.

So I start reading about the Explorer waypoints, and I jump on you tube, and I see all these videos about planning missions. Not a big deal.

What is a big deal is that some of the features that are in the app in the video are not available on my version of the app. And I want those features.

So, the question(s) that I have are- is there a place that I can find the older versions of the Autel Explorer app, and if so- can I downgrade to an older version to gain access to those features in planning waypoint missions? Specifically, heading control and how waypoints are created.

I appreciate any feedback.

Cheers!
Also would be nice to see some of those YT videos that talk about mission features that are no longer available. Thanks!

I think the sticking point is with iOS. As I understand it, with iOS you are not able to downgrade back to the last Explorer App version that supports planning waypoint missions in advance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are using Android tablet, however, the last version that is specific to Evo 1 and allows you to program waypoint routes in advance is 1.0.1.45. Even though you can't downgrade the Evo 1 firmware to an earlier version once you've upgraded, you can go backwards with the Android version of Explorer App software to 1.0.1.45 (or any earlier version) to get those lost features back again. It will work fine with whatever the recent firmware is.

All previous Explorer app versions have been helpfully made available for download at:

On Android, simply go back to version 1.0.1.45 with firmware 1.5.8 (Evo1) to find the missions as they were before. These functions were truncated during the Evo 1 / Evo2 merger.
To go back under Ios, it's a different story.

@palmiers
You who piloted on Dji and knew Litchi, you will be disappointed with the waypoint mode of the Evo 1 (I reassure you, the evo 2 has kept the flight mode for missions).
Waypoints mode: The Evo flies at the first point - it stops - it changes direction (Stop even if no change) - it goes up or it goes down - it goes back to the next point and does the same thing at each waypoint passage .
Now look for the error with Litchi, impossible to do Litchi's smooth missions.
And don't expect to do better with the Evo 2.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bailey54