Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Video Quality Help

Pork Belly

Reaction score
I haven't flown my drone in a while and just noticed the other day how terrible the quality has been. I upgraded to the new firmware after months of not upgrading. Check out the footage below from last year and this year. Sharpness is night and day. Any ideas? A little note... Autel did replace my gimbal/camera before. I'm thinking they gave me a bad one. What do you guys think?

I'll try to fly again later, Maybe it's a setting I touched. Not sure. Both were shot at 4k. TIA

Before the Repair:

This is After the Repair:

Last edited:
I haven't flown my drone in a while and just noticed the other day how terrible the quality has been. I upgraded to the new firmware after months of not upgrading. Check out the footage below from last year and this year. Sharpness is night and day. Any ideas? A little note... Autel did replace my gimbal/camera before. I'm thinking they gave me a bad one. What do you guys think?

I'll try to fly Gin later, Maybe it's a setting I touched. Not sure. Both were shot at 4k. TIA

Before the Reapir:

This is After the Repair:

The quality is really bad, looks like everything is completely out of focus in the second video. The first video was pretty badly under exposed with a green tint but that could easily be fixed in settings. The second one though was better exposed but it looks like everything is out of focus, I would check to see if MF is enabled, I would try tapping to focus on something in the frame, and try setting the aperture to F5.6. IMO though the only thing that would make it look that bad is if MF is turned on and set to something super close like 10' away or there is something wrong with the camera lens.

Also, does the source video before you edit it look like that? A very low data rate or upscaling within the NLE could also cause the footage to look that bad.

Reactions: Pork Belly
The quality is really bad, looks like everything is completely out of focus in the second video. The first video was pretty badly under exposed with a green tint but that could easily be fixed in settings. The second one though was better exposed but it looks like everything is out of focus, I would check to see if MF is enabled, I would try tapping to focus on something in the frame, and try setting the aperture to F5.6. IMO though the only thing that would make it look that bad is if MF is turned on and set to something super close like 10' away or there is something wrong with the camera lens.

Also, does the source video before you edit it look like that? A very low data rate or upscaling within the NLE could also cause the footage to look that bad.
Thank you! I checked now and MF was enabled. I'll try it with AF and see if that improves it. And I agree with you on it being underexposed. I've only flown the drone a handful of times on that one. Second one, I used a filter to counter the harsh light, but it was on MF. I'll post again here if that fixed it. Thank you.

Thank you! I checked now and MF was enabled. I'll try it with AF and see if that improves it. And I agree with you on it being underexposed. I've only flown the drone a handful of times on that one. Second one, I used a filter to counter the harsh light, but it was on MF. I'll post again here if that fixed it. Thank you.
@Pork Belly Reset your camera after the update. Click on the gear Icon in the bottom right corner in the Explorer app. You will see Camera Settings. Scroll down with your finger and right below the "Video Encoding Format" you will see "Reset Camera" press it and it will allow any updates designated to the camera to take effect. You will also need to set the camera up the way you want it as it reverts to a default mode. I had this problem after an update long ago and it corrected it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pork Belly

I did this and it did improve, but I never shoot in auto. It has always been manual. I can't control the F-stop, so it's constant. Shooting in MF with the proper lighting and settings should actually make it sharp, right? Autel is on the case. Hope they didn't do anything that would affect the video. It's still a great drone.

@Pork Belly Reset your camera after the update. Click on the gear Icon in the bottom right corner in the Explorer app. You will see Camera Settings. Scroll down with your finger and right below the "Video Encoding Format" you will see "Rest Camera" press it and it will allow any updates designated to the camera to take effect. You will also need to set the camera up the way you want it as it reverts to a default mode. I had this problem after an update long ago and it corrected it.
Will try this now and let you know. Thank you!

@Pork Belly Reset your camera after the update. Click on the gear Icon in the bottom right corner in the Explorer app. You will see Camera Settings. Scroll down with your finger and right below the "Video Encoding Format" you will see "Rest Camera" press it and it will allow any updates designated to the camera to take effect. You will also need to set the camera up the way you want it as it reverts to a default mode. I had this problem after an update long ago and it corrected it.
Will try this now and let you know. Thank you!
Looks like the reset may have done the trick. My footage still isn't that clear, but I did shoot at ISO 800 and turned up the exposure in post. I'll fly again tomorrow and get footage at ISO 100. Thank you!

Reactions: jcommstudios

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials