Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Upset Neighbors

I was hovering around 200ft. Wasn't over his house but he could see it from his house. I was looking at the sky and getting pics at sunset.

Not sure why he was mad then unless he has pot growing out around his house!!! LOL!

I go straight up 200ft or so,then go for it..here in Jersey you can still fly over peoples houses without any legal issues from what i read.

Thank goodness I'm blessed with 20 acres out of the city limits, plus 40 acres of wooded land next to mine that's been for sale for years. No problems so far.

Last edited:
It's super cool to see those flashing LEDs a night time, for sure! Unfortunately, it's also completely illegal unless you are a part 107 pilot and have a waiver. :-(
As far as I am aware, hobby flights can take place at night. Maybe it is just AMA members, if I am wrong please list your source.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly
  • Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  • Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  • Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  • Give way to manned aircraft
  • Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  • Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
  • Register the aircraft (UAS over 0.55 lbs. and less than 55 lbs. can be registered online at registermyuas.faa.gov; UAS 55 lbs. or greater must be registered through the FAA's paper-based process)
400' source - Academy of Model Aeronautics - FAA UAS Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Am I permitted to fly above 400 feet? What if I had to check a box saying otherwise on the federal registration website?
A: Yes. AMA members who abide by the AMA Safety Code, which permits flights above 400 feet under appropriate circumstances, and are protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft under the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. Checking the box on the federal registration webpage signifies an understanding of the 400 foot guideline. This is an important safety principle that all UAS operators need to be aware of, and is the same guideline established in AC 91-57 published in 1981. However, the placement of this guideline on the FAA website is intended as an educational piece and more specifically intended for those operating outside of AMA’s safety program. You can read a letter from the FAA that recognizes our community-based safety program and flight over 400 feet by clicking here

Night flying source - Academy of Model Aeronautics - FAA UAS Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Am I permitted to fly first person view (FPV)? Can I fly at night?
A: Yes. AMA members are still protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, which is part of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. As long as AMA members continue to follow AMA’s safety guidelines for these activities, they can continue to fly. The guidelines listed on the FAA UAS website do not negate the modeling activities and related safety procedures established in AMA’s community-based safety program.

Also, as an AMA member, you can fly over 400' (although I don't see the need to other than over a ridge or obstacle). Besides being your voice in Washinton the AMA provides lots of good info & presentations, events, flying fields and insurance included with your membership.

Very interesting! So as a licensed pilot, I'm not allowed to fly "at night" (107.29) without obtaining a waiver, but as a recreational pilot I can (if I follow AMA-like guidelines)? Sheesh...this whole thing is a bit messed up. The only reference I can find to night flying on the AMA site is this:

"RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations." http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/memanual.pdf page 4, number 8.

Very interesting! So as a licensed pilot, I'm not allowed to fly "at night" (107.29) without obtaining a waiver, but as a recreational pilot I can (if I follow AMA-like guidelines)? Sheesh...this whole thing is a bit messed up. The only reference I can find to night flying on the AMA site is this:

"RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations." http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/memanual.pdf page 4, number 8.
Aint that something. Doesn't make much sense does it.

I was flying with my grandson and a neighbor a block away came looking for who was flying. He got real nasty and I turned on my phone video and he shut up right away. Got a picture of him, his car, and his license plate. Haven't heard for him again.

I had been thinking what I would do. Glad I had thought it thru.

Reactions: TAMU1996
The FAA has stated numerous times that flying at night is NOT illegal as long as it's not done commercially. You drone has to have lights but you ARE allowed to fly at night.

I had been thinking what I would do. Glad I had thought it thru.

Preparation for our environment is as important as prep for our birds.

I live in a metro area, but I'm 5 minutes from the sticks. In either area, people ignorant of the laws are especially firm in their "understanding" (the lack thereof) and obstinant. I plan to arm myself with some knowledge and information.

I'm going to put together a one-page, bullet-pointed summary of Part 107, FAA sUAS regulations, applicable Texas law (namely trespassing, nuisance and/or invasion of privacy) and several websites for their reference (no phone numbers; make em' do some work). If approached, I'll pull a pamphlet from my pocket for their reading pleasure. If they still want to take me to task, I'll offer to call the local PD myself.

Another good idea (not just for flying, but, sadly, in most of our society today) is as another poster mentioned: RECORD YOUR INTERACTIONS. Make it known that you're recording, video and audio. Heck, tell em' it's streaming directly to "the cloud." People tend to lose steam, and balls, once they know they're on record.

Can't afford a body camera? Just pin any small electronic-looking device to your chest and tell the person it's a camera. Most folks are ignorant of the technology, especially those "get off my lawn!" types. :)

--Ryan

Last edited:
Reactions: WildDoktor

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy