Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

UAS: The FAA Tightens the Screws

So... what affect, if anything, does this have for the occasional, couple of times a month, out in the country flyer? You know, the recreational flyer.

So... what affect, if anything, does this have for the occasional, couple of times a month, out in the country flyer? You know, the recreational flyer.
Hasn't the FAA taken the stance that they don't want to police recreational flyers ? Special rule 336. If we follow its guidance, use good judgment and police ourselves rec flying will be left alone.

Hasn't the FAA taken the stance that they don't want to police recreational flyers ? Special rule 336. If we follow its guidance, use good judgment and police ourselves rec flying will be left alone.
That changed in FAA Reauthorization Bill of Oct 5, 2018. Soon you will be required to take a test, like Part 107's and prove to the FAA that you are capable of flying your Evo.

Reactions: witt
Thanks for the response. Just looked it over. So much for being left alone I guess. What next ? -maybe regulate pinewood derby cars.

This also seems like something that changes too often to keep up with. Not that I am lazy -- but I am only going to learn and re-fresh myself on a subject so many times before it's like everything else regulated today -- what would the point be to keep current? -- It all boils down to the politics and which way they are leaning at the time.

This is currently how the FAA is leaning -- how will they be leaning in say 2 years - 4 years - 8 years down the road? Politics may very well flip back and forth several times -- who knows...

But for a recreational flyer who is obeying most if not all the rules -- (which are common sense rules, by the way) -- it's a burden to have to get treated like the other crowd who are flying commercially and trying to make lots of $$$ in the process.

Actually, $$$ is all it boils down to -- something that can be "regulated" and cash "extracted" -- lol Once these regulations are "old" they will have moved on to something else to regulate that get's their attention.

I realize most of this FAA argument is about safety -- but in the USA -- you aren't going to have someone fight so hard for something unless ultimately it concerns $$$, and who is going to get it -- in the end.

I suspect this is one reason why we are yet to see those Amazon drones zooming through the air and bringing us our purchases -- like the stork -- or St. Nick... lol FAA and politics...

I also realize a bigger part of the reasoning is that the technology has not matured to a level -- to use -- or trust.

....Like self-driving cars (who's owners are guinea pigs in my opinion - like the Autel Evo owners). sorry - I couldn't resist ?

Oh - and I am sure another part is that they can not quite figure out a way of keeping people from "shooting" them down -- which would be the new "porch pirate" trend... lol the trend of your Amazon getting ordered and delivered -- but disappearing from your porch -- before you get home to retrieve it. lol but in this case more than just your purchase got "lost" here...

as I was looking for the normal image of a person shooting down a drone to put here - but I run across another one of "this is from the Intenet -- so BEWARE" things... this one is even better! hahahahahahahah

I found it here... and treat this again as "this is from the Intenet -- so BEWARE" things...

US shoots down 'drone from Amazon.com' with £2.5m surface to air missile

I suspect this is one reason why we are yet to see those Amazon drones zooming through the air and bringing us our purchases -- like the stork -- or St. Nick... lol FAA and politics...

I also realize a bigger part of the reasoning is that the technology has not matured to a level -- to use -- or trust.

....Like self-driving cars (who's owners are guinea pigs in my opinion - like the Autel Evo owners). sorry - I couldn't resist ?

Oh - and I am sure another part is that they can not quite figure out a way of keeping people from "shooting" them down -- which would be the new "porch pirate" trend... lol the trend of your Amazon getting ordered and delivered -- but disappearing from your porch -- before you get home to retrieve it. lol but in this case more than just your purchase got "lost" here...

as I was looking for the normal image of a person shooting down a drone to put here - but I run across another one of "this is from the Intenet -- so BEWARE" things... this one is even better! hahahahahahahah

View attachment 3846

I found it here... and treat this again as "this is from the Intenet -- so BEWARE" things...

US shoots down 'drone from Amazon.com' with £2.5m surface to air missile

Clicking on your link there was a ton of pictures of UAV's. Not to many pictures of the first proto-types from Autel. It was really to bad this one never got going with Go-Pro cameras.

I dunno... License up, make sure your paperwork (logbooks, permissions, etc) are up to date, don't do anything dangerous/stupid, and you should be A-OK

Clicking on your link there was a ton of pictures of UAV's. Not to many pictures of the first proto-types from Autel. It was really to bad this one never got going with Go-Pro cameras.

View attachment 3853

I do like the looks of that a lot better - and was told when I bought my EVO that particular body design on the one pictured was the bomb! That they loved it -- and seeing a Go-pro on one makes me that much more jealous. lol

That changed in FAA Reauthorization Bill of Oct 5, 2018. Soon you will be required to take a test, like Part 107's and prove to the FAA that you are capable of flying your Evo.
Really? when I go flying I dont see any one up there but me..and in a city of a million people not one of them knows where I take off from..and when I land there is no one running up to me to shake my hand or even knows the brand of my lil evo..when I had a radio show the FCC never called me..these gov. folks are like Boogey men in your minds..send them your money, im keeping mine in my pocket.

Attachments

• MAX_0041.JPG
    MAX_0041.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: Tommy Molnar
Really? when I go flying I dont see any one up there but me..and in a city of a million people not one of them knows where I take off from..and when I land there is no one running up to me to shake my hand or even knows the brand of my lil evo..when I had a radio show the FCC never called me..these gov. folks are like Boogey men in your minds..send them your money, im keeping mine in my pocket.
Tell that to the 6 who got their drones confiscated on the Superbowl weekend.

If they want to enforce it -- they will bring in a few ground radars in "hot"-zones -- and if you are close enough to an airport - these folks know their stuff.

From their perch, they usually have a better view of the surroundings than most realize. They may not know where you launched from -- but they will have a GREAT idea if it becomes a problem -- where to tell these enforcement guys to point their radar.

As suggested by Ansia: They have upped their game in being able to track these things over the last few years, as demonstrated at Superbowl. As much as we would like to think these people have set on their butt's the last few years and just kept mum -- nah -- they've been watching. Like Santa -- but the gifts they bring -- do not bring joy and make a lump of coal look like candy.

... that is until they find something else to sink their enforcement teeth into...

Edit: Another thing people forget -- the US may not be like other countries under "strict" surveillance -- with a camera on every street corner... But our government has flown these as part of "our" national security for years. One way or another "Big Brother" is watching. Just because you do not see the portable radar all of a sudden in your area -- or the camera on their drone pointed at you -- doesn't mean they can't see you.

Military drones - the new air force

FBI director says surveillance drones used in US

Last edited:
The order is really benign. If there is 5 or 10 incidents of near misses or interference with law or emergency services the order now requires a single boots in the field investigation.

While some bad actors will get caught, most of us won’t trigger one of the defined incidents, so “surveillance” will not likeliy happen.

The place I can see this becoming an issue is at the local model airfield. It is only a couple of nautical miles from the airport. So “near misses” could be more likely even though the airport is notified. For us it is more likely since the airport is small and has no tower.

If they want to enforce it -- they will bring in a few ground radars in "hot"-zones -- and if you are close enough to an airport - these folks know their stuff.

From their perch, they usually have a better view of the surroundings than most realize. They may not know where you launched from -- but they will have a GREAT idea if it becomes a problem -- where to tell these enforcement guys to point their radar.

As suggested by Ansia: They have upped their game in being able to track these things over the last few years, as demonstrated at Superbowl. As much as we would like to think these people have set on their butt's the last few years and just kept mum -- nah -- they've been watching. Like Santa -- but the gifts they bring -- do not bring joy and make a lump of coal look like candy.

... that is until they find something else to sink their enforcement teeth into...

Edit: Another thing people forget -- the US may not be like other countries under "strict" surveillance -- with a camera on every street corner... But our government has flown these as part of "our" national security for years. One way or another "Big Brother" is watching. Just because you do not see the portable radar all of a sudden in your area -- or the camera on their drone pointed at you -- doesn't mean they can't see you.

Military drones - the new air force

View attachment 3865

FBI director says surveillance drones used in US

View attachment 3861
well there no reason that anyone even needs to be within a mile from the stadium to fly/take off /land..who ever got busted must of been launching from a parking area crawling with cops, and flying over super bowl event is stupid in the first place and im glad they got there toy drones taken away

Attachments

• MAX_0041.JPG
    MAX_0041.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
well there no reason that anyone even needs to be within a mile from the stadium to fly/take off /land..who ever got busted must of been launching from a parking area crawling with cops, and flying over super bowl event is stupid in the first place and im glad they got there toy drones taken away
The NFZ had a 30 miles radius. One guy who got caught was flying in his backyard minding his business. Still got screwed by the FBI.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials