Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Too slow.

Forrest

Reaction score
13 m/s is too slow. Makes drone unusable in even a moderate wind. Most reviewers can’t even achieve 13.
Autel recently vowed to revive the original advertised speed of 15m/s. Now, Autel has admitted that it doesn’t know how to do that. Speed will remain at super slow 13m/s.
My advice…forget the under powered nano.

Reactions: Costa and Theborg
It’s well documented at this point. It will be the downfall of this drone, and in typical Autel fashion; they’ll make a V2. It sucks for all of us who already bought this thing. I was gonna buy a lite+ as well. At this point, I’m done with Autel. I elected to buy the M3 instead even though the lite seems like a great drone.

Reactions: Theborg and Forrest
Anyone who actually believes any advertised specs of any drone brand/model is deluded. Only in the most optimum conditions could anything close be acheived, whether talking about maximum speed, maximum flight time... etc, etc, etc. Hundreds of different variables in flight... all can add up to significant differences in actual results. Tests and IRL performance are rarely aligned.

Anyone who actually believes any advertised specs of any drone brand/model is deluded. Only in the most optimum conditions could anything close be acheived, whether talking about maximum speed, maximum flight time... etc, etc, etc. Hundreds of different variables in flight... all can add up to significant differences in actual results. Tests and IRL performance are rarely aligned.
It's not a matter of believing advertised specs, it's a matter of Autel changing specs after offering drone for sale.

Most of us have flown drones long enough to read through the BS. Battery life specifically is always a farce. Changing the manual and thereby the wind rating is just being quietly dishonest. Autel also has that strict policy of not accepting returns if the product is opened. This only leaves setting up a dispute with PayPal. Who wants to go through all that BS. I’m done with these guys after the whole v1, v2 Evo drama and now this.

Reactions: Theborg
Most of us have flown drones long enough to read through the BS. Battery life specifically is always a farce. Changing the manual and thereby the wind rating is just being quietly dishonest. Autel also has that strict policy of not accepting returns if the product is opened. This only leaves setting up a dispute with PayPal. Who wants to go through all that BS. I’m done with these guys after the whole v1, v2 Evo drama and now this.
you bought a drone from autel and you opened it and they won't take it back? really, i guess i wasn't aware that was their policy.

So....When I go out and get a 3.7 liter powered car and when I get it home I find out it's a 1.8 liter I'm delusional. It's false advertising. period.

Autel is getting hit all over for this - hopefully they will rethink and try and at least solve the wind resistance issues.

I'm still waiting for mine to come and I'll make my judgement after I get it - I'm less concerned with sport mode - as I fly over water most of the time I cant afford not to be able to fly in a bit of wind.

Reactions: herein2021
So....When I go out and get a 3.7 liter powered car and when I get it home I find out it's a 1.8 liter I'm delusional. It's false advertising. period.

Autel is getting hit all over for this - hopefully they will rethink and try and at least solve the wind resistance issues.

I'm still waiting for mine to come and I'll make my judgement after I get it - I'm less concerned with sport mode - as I fly over water most of the time I cant afford not to be able to fly in a bit of wind.

My question is, is the DJI equivalent any better in the wind? I don't see how any drone this size will be able to handle any wind.

I agree 100% though that Autel's marketing materials are blatantly dishonest. I am still in disbelief that the EVO II is advertised as being able to fly for 40 min yet it only shows 33 min remaining before it even takes off. That 40 min flight time was what really got people's attention (include mine) when it was released.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I always found DJI's specs to be very accurate and realistic; I was always able to get the flight time, speed, and range that was advertised. Yes there could not be any wind or interference and the battery had to be fairly new but when those conditions were met it wasn't difficult to achieve the advertised specs.

Reactions: Theborg
That is part of my point... false or not, the quoted specs should be viewed as advertising. How many Evo II users get the quoted 40 minute flight time or the 5.5 mile range? Quoted specs do not = IRL performance. Autel is by no means alone in this... Yuneec's specs are just as unattainable.

I was not aware that the company had changed the specifications... but that only reinforces that the specifications be taken with a grain of salt.

@OldBlueHeron I do not have a high opinion of the Autel Pilots storefront, so I will ask... have you seen these changed specs anywhere other than the Autel Pilots storefront? There have been several threads on this board that have brought into question whether they can be considered a valid source of information. IMHO people should be avoiding purchasing from them.

It also bears repeating... the Autel Pilots storefront has ZERO relationship with, and is not endorsed by any DronePilots forum... including this one.

Last edited:
My question is, is the DJI equivalent any better in the wind? I don't see how any drone this size will be able to handle any wind.
The Mini 2 handles wind quite well.... and in heavy winds it will use a 40 degree tilt to fight to come home. The video I posted above is extreme but it shows the Mini 2 surviving the encounter with a leaf blower and the Nano+ unable to handle it.

I am a fan of what I am seeing from the Nano+ camera and might add one to my stable of drone for specific work. My hope was that Autel would fix the speed and wind resistance issue instead of revising the specs after the fact as they have done. Changing the specs in the manual is the easy way out but won't do anything for Autel's credibility with the drone community.

That is part of my point... false or not, the quoted specs should be viewed as advertising. How many Evo II users get the quoted 40 minute flight time or the 5.5 mile range? Quoted specs do not = IRL performance.

I was not aware that the company had changed the specifications... but that only reinforces that the specifications be taken with a grain of salt.
I find that even though DJI's specs for battery life and range are suspect....... their wind resistance ratings are actually conservative and you can push their drones past the limits.... its especially true of their larger drones like the Air 2s and the Mavic 2/3. The Mini 2 can definitely handle its rated 24mph winds for good period of time and goes 32-33mph pretty consistantly

Autel also has that strict policy of not accepting returns if the product is opened.
I should clarify that I bought from Autel pilot.
This is a little different than buying from AutelDrones.com which is the official store..... though I find the language similar. Both their return policies use the term unused, I'm just trying to determine if this is the same in practice as unopened.

3.7 liter to 1.8 is unreasonable and is especially egregious when it comes to cars. if you "measured" the engine and it came out to 3.65 then an arbitrator would probably find that to be tolerable and reasonable.

false advertising has two parts: deceptive and intent. the information has to be misleading (not just incorrect) AND it has to be used to promote the sale.

autel printing 15mph and the drone only actually achieving 13mph is not false advertising. it's not cool and it's not right but it's not illegal. if you buy the drone and it doesn't perform to the your expectations based on the specs, the buyer should be entitled to a refund. but it's just a drone and like a million other products on the market, nothing would sell if they had to be perfect or every spec has to be exact under all conditions....forever. luckily in america, the consumer has a robust and extensive array of processes designed specifically to handle complaints and there are so many remedies at your disposal, it's ridiculous. i agree with you, posting complaints in a public forum is one of those avenues but you should not rely on it exclusively.

unfortunately everybody is taking hits. even dji is taking hits for their m3 mishaps. hopefully lessons learned for everyone but i understand the level of consumer frustration is high. money is tight and people are especially concerned about where they spend their dollars and the details matter....so manufacturers have to do a better job of getting it right.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Photo

I agree 100% though that Autel's marketing materials are blatantly dishonest. I am still in disbelief that the EVO II is advertised as being able to fly for 40 min yet it only shows 33 min remaining before it even takes off. That 40 min flight time was what really got people's attention (include mine) when it was released.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I always found DJI's specs to be very accurate and realistic; I was always able to get the flight time, speed, and range that was advertised. Yes there could not be any wind or interference and the battery had to be fairly new but when those conditions were met it wasn't difficult to achieve the advertised specs.
without seeing or flying the nano, my guess is the autel drone is having the same problem as the original dji mavic mini (m1). i had an m1 and i live in a very windy location and it had trouble flying in even modest wind conditions. if there ever was a burst of wind, the m1 had a problem. anytime i flew above 200 feet, i had to deal with wind warnings. it was a disaster (for me) but i'm sure some locations found it to be suitable.

when the m2 came out, i switch to it and found it to be much better....it flew like a drone should and even though it didn't fly like it's bigger brothers, it wasn't for not trying to. it took on the wind like a champ and i never lost confidence in flying the m2...even today. there were times when i would arrive on location and didn't even bother to deploy the m1 knowing that it would be lost. the m2 is solid and you know that if you ever get into trouble, you can fight that battle and bring her home if you had to. the m1 was like a sack of potatoes.

one could say whatever dji did with the m2 they should have done with the m1. dji is a smart company and maybe autel doesn't know the secrets to sustained flight in windy condition with a sub250 drone but they are about to find out (the hard way) with the nano. so maybe the nano2 will do better. autel is one step behind dji. dji was given the benefit of the doubt and they learned, so should autel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cronos