Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Too good to be true?

Has no one noticed that the drone is a traditional wifi drone, therefore it will be plagued by interference. I'm sure it's a 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz frequency WiFi, but even that has a limited range, compared to a special designed wifi signal, such as the Evo's.

I reviewed their latest YT video posted Oct. 1 so I could see what they were advertising. My internet connection was too slow to get any of their web page videos to work. Now that I see what they are promoting I would say that 99% of the folks purchasing this drone will never use it as the marketing video promotes. As an example, out of a few hundred EVO videos on YT I've watched to date, I've not seen but a couple that were actually tracking anything other than the pilot or his kid walking in the park or maybe a boat or their vehicle. (Excluding Autel videos)

From a cinematography perspective, the erratic framing of the camera following a fast moving target on a mountain trail through the "jungle" is almost useless. More than six seconds of that and the viewers will get motion sickness and bail. Much better footage and perspective is gained by putting a GoPro on a bike rider following the leader as we have seen many times on TV extreme sports shows.

But I don't criticize the developers at all and give them a high five for what they have perfected in obstacle avoidance technology and AI so far. That is going to be HUGE in the future, especially for commercial delivery drones flying in unknown territories with untold things to avoid. So I feel this company's GOLDEN GOOSE is going to be licensing the patents to all the commercial drone developers and NOT by selling a handful of recreational sport drones.

So for the consumer like you and me, and even those 107's making money with their drones, I don't think this bird will be much more than an entry in the history books' timeline. The only feature it has that I would like is auto-tracking a subject with elevation changes. I was experimenting with that the other day with the EVO on a hunch I might find a manual backdoor but the hillside foiled each of my attempts. I still have another idea to test.

Reactions: Nightbat2
I reviewed their latest YT video posted Oct. 1 so I could see what they were advertising. My internet connection was too slow to get any of their web page videos to work. Now that I see what they are promoting I would say that 99% of the folks purchasing this drone will never use it as the marketing video promotes. As an example, out of a few hundred EVO videos on YT I've watched to date, I've not seen but a couple that were actually tracking anything other than the pilot or his kid walking in the park or maybe a boat or their vehicle. (Excluding Autel videos)

From a cinematography perspective, the erratic framing of the camera following a fast moving target on a mountain trail through the "jungle" is almost useless. More than six seconds of that and the viewers will get motion sickness and bail. Much better footage and perspective is gained by putting a GoPro on a bike rider following the leader as we have seen many times on TV extreme sports shows.

But I don't criticize the developers at all and give them a high five for what they have perfected in obstacle avoidance technology and AI so far. That is going to be HUGE in the future, especially for commercial delivery drones flying in unknown territories with untold things to avoid. So I feel this company's GOLDEN GOOSE is going to be licensing the patents to all the commercial drone developers and NOT by selling a handful of recreational sport drones.

So for the consumer like you and me, and even those 107's making money with their drones, I don't think this bird will be much more than an entry in the history books' timeline. The only feature it has that I would like is auto-tracking a subject with elevation changes. I was experimenting with that the other day with the EVO on a hunch I might find a manual backdoor but the hillside foiled each of my attempts. I still have another idea to test.
I see what your saying but completely disagree. I found the videos on yt amazing and think avid mountain bikers or outdoor enthusiasts would pay to have video taken autonomously by a drone. I'm neither dizzy or bored seeing the ridiculous ability this drone has. The reason you see so few videos on yt for other drones doing tracking is because the tracking ability is no where near what this can do and yes those videos are boring and lack creativity. If I had an extra $1K I would order one in a heartbeat. I love my EVO and have few complaints with it, but I'm blown away seeing what the Skydio 2.0 can do and I dont feel it's overpriced, but would love to see the remotes included.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tufargon
I acknowledge your point of view and rationale but the company is going to fail by trying to market a product that is basically advertised as a one trick pony that excels at one thing....extreme tracking in insane conditions. Considering all other types of drone filming it is in the same category and capability as every other drone out there and actually specs-wise the flight time, speed, and versatility of multiple resolution filming speeds is below today's standard.

To summarize: You aren't going to remain in business selling your product to a niche market of users/photographers. There are already a ton of professionals out there filming extreme sports (with drones too) so the market is very small. You need to be selling tens of thousands if your company is to survive and remain competitive. And there isn't that kind of market out there. Plus there is always the real possibility in autonomous tracking by yourself that you get to the bottom of the mountain and have no idea where your drone is - perhaps confused and hovering or worse, encountered an obstacle and went down on the side of a mountain....somewhere. Will Skydio honor their warranty with no corpse? Its a big world out there and a very tiny speck to find. And also what gear is recording the flight log, the telemetry, the data that is crucial to knowing where your bird ended up when you are flying autonomously and bare bones with the minimum control equipment?

Am not playing the devil's advocate....just being a realist. ;)

This is the 2nd gen product, much improved over 1st gen. The software they put into this thing blows away anything DJI or Autel have produced so far. That is what the 999 price tag is for. Also, it is manufactured right here in the USA.
I do not know what the FAA will say about autonomous drones. If you do not have the controller or the beacon, you have to rely on the software which is operating\controlling the craft, there is really no pilot but the software. I was reading that in Australia it is against the law to operate any autonomous drone.
Also who will get sued when one of these things supposedly goes rogue? Mind of its own. Who's to blame?

I do not know what the FAA will say about autonomous drones. If you do not have the controller or the beacon, you have to rely on the software which is operating\controlling the craft, there is really no pilot but the software. I was reading that in Australia it is against the law to operate any autonomous drone.
Also who will get sued when one of these things supposedly goes rogue? Mind of its own. Who's to blame?
Any drone that is capable of being programmed to follow a flight plan is, in that instance, autonomous. That includes drones from DJI, Yuneec, Parror and Autel. One assumes the ability to over-ride the program amounts to control.

I acknowledge your point of view and rationale but the company is going to fail by trying to market a product that is basically advertised as a one trick pony that excels at one thing....extreme tracking in insane conditions. Considering all other types of drone filming it is in the same category and capability as every other drone out there and actually specs-wise the flight time, speed, and versatility of multiple resolution filming speeds is below today's standard.

To summarize: You aren't going to remain in business selling your product to a niche market of users/photographers. There are already a ton of professionals out there filming extreme sports (with drones too) so the market is very small. You need to be selling tens of thousands if your company is to survive and remain competitive. And there isn't that kind of market out there. Plus there is always the real possibility in autonomous tracking by yourself that you get to the bottom of the mountain and have no idea where your drone is - perhaps confused and hovering or worse, encountered an obstacle and went down on the side of a mountain....somewhere. Will Skydio honor their warranty with no corpse? Its a big world out there and a very tiny speck to find. And also what gear is recording the flight log, the telemetry, the data that is crucial to knowing where your bird ended up when you are flying autonomously and bare bones with the minimum control equipment?

Am not playing the devil's advocate....just being a realist. ;)
Let's see the response in 2020 and see what kind of market there is for this drone, as they already sold out their pre-order supply for 2019 in just a few days. I disagree, as you said this drone can do much of what the other drones on the market can do already - PLUS a huge differentiator that no one else has in a consumer drone.

I wonder if this is considered under Skydio's safe flight guidelines. If so, it would have been covered under warranty.

I wonder if this is considered under Skydio's safe flight guidelines. If so, it would have been covered under warranty.
Would this fall under the "Flying under a Waterfall not covered" clause?

I must say it was some impressive tracking. Good thing he wasn't filming the surfers on Oahu's North Shore during a 30'-50' wave event. Of course we probably wouldn't even be able to watch that video unless there was a flotation device deployed on the bird. It would be the coolest money shot ever....flying in the tube of a 30' wave following a surfer. But then again a GoPro on the board will produce an adequate sensation for the viewer with literally no risk.....at least to the camera.

Looking forward to the compilation "highlight reels" of wild Skydio 2 shots as owners push them to their limits and beyond. There will be some good entertainment for sure and a true test of the warranty policy. Some clips will probably make it to America's Funniest Home Videos and win a T Shirt. :D

That looked pretty good. The stuff following through the woods look a bit erratic, but this was smooth like the motion of the rider. I think the motion will matter when it comes to the viewability of the footage for those prone to motion sickness.

This is the 2nd gen product, much improved over 1st gen. The software they put into this thing blows away anything DJI or Autel have produced so far. That is what the 999 price tag is for. Also, it is manufactured right here in the USA.

That is what are many missing.

First off, acompany like DJI was able to flood our market with drones that are artificially suppressed in pricing. Folks need to research the huge impact the Chinese government has on manufacturing within its own country. Autel also benefits from this too since its manufacturing base is in China.

Second, and from what I have read so far of Skdio, they are made here in the U.S and hand fit/finish their drones. Initial reviews of the Skydio 2 QC is quite positive.

Now what I'm waiting for is some actual reviews of camera quality, real life battery time, and obstacle avoidance in real world conditions.

Concerning some of the "negatives" others have for this drone (such as magnetic battery attachment, no landing legs, downward placed forward rotors), these are all valid. Out of those three however the rotor placement is the most concerning for me.

Finally, I have to give Skydio huge kudos. This drone release is actually refreshing. We are seeing some serious out of the box thinking and if the obstacle avoidance works as well as it is being touted then we are seeing a drone that blows away all competitors in that arena.

Additionally, folks need to understand that action oriented outdoor videos is a growing segment in the drone usage arena. Again, if the Skydio avoidance works as touted, this drone will dominate over DJI, Autel, and Parrot.

That is what are many missing.

First off, acompany like DJI was able to flood our market with drones that are artificially suppressed in pricing. Folks need to research the huge impact the Chinese government has on manufacturing within its own country. Autel also benefits from this too since its manufacturing base is in China.

Second, and from what I have read so far of Skdio, they are made here in the U.S and hand fit/finish their drones. Initial reviews of the Skydio 2 QC is quite positive.

Now what I'm waiting for is some actual reviews of camera quality, real life battery time, and obstacle avoidance in real world conditions.

Concerning some of the "negatives" others have for this drone (such as magnetic battery attachment, no landing legs, downward placed forward rotors), these are all valid. Out of those three however the rotor placement is the most concerning for me.

Finally, I have to give Skydio huge kudos. This drone release is actually refreshing. We are seeing some serious out of the box thinking and if the obstacle avoidance works as well as it is being touted then we are seeing a drone that blows away all competitors in that arena.

Additionally, folks need to understand that action oriented outdoor videos is a growing segment in the drone usage arena. Again, if the Skydio avoidance works as touted, this drone will dominate over DJI, Autel, and Parrot.
Good points. Don’t think the forward rotors would be an issue if it had landing gear—after all, there are a number of multi rotors that have props on bottom as well as top. All the ones I know also have ‘stilts’. Somebody no doubt will come out with an after market set, as a couple have done with the Evo. Without legs, I’d be very dubious about hand catching, the Skydio2, given there are motors both top and bottom! Agree that there is a growing market for this kind of bird.

Good points. Don’t think the forward rotors would be an issue if it had landing gear—after all, there are a number of multi rotors that have props on bottom as well as top. All the ones I know also have ‘stilts’. Somebody no doubt will come out with an after market set, as a couple have done with the Evo. Without legs, I’d be very dubious about hand catching, the Skydio2, given there are motors both top and bottom! Agree that there is a growing market for this kind of bird.
I wonder if the reason for the lack of landing stilts/legs is related to their testing of their obstacle avoidance system? Maybe, and this is strictly conjecture, introduction of stats in the FOV of the bottom camera(s) creates issues?

I wonder if the reason for the lack of landing stilts/legs is related to their testing of their obstacle avoidance system? Maybe, and this is strictly conjecture, introduction of stats in the FOV of the bottom camera(s) creates issues?
Yes, I wondered about that, too. I actually emailed them to ask a number of questions, including if landing gear was planned, and was told no, it wasn’t.

This guy gives the Skydio 2 a pretty solid test as far as the following attributes. Flight starts around the 3 min mark. Be warned this guy swears often in the video so send the kiddies out to wash your car ;)

The 8:40 mark is pretty nuts

Last edited:
Reactions: Botoxrider
Hopefully the Skydio 2 is all they say it is and more. Glad to see new companies joining in. Most companies shy away from consumers in favor of commercial markets.

Reactions: Phreedom
If that's really it, it outperforms all others in flight mode in a hostile environment. I think all the other models would have crashed or stuck in this course.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles