Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Thoughts Thus Far

Squirrel!

Reaction score
First discovery is that this thing DOES NOT fly like a Phantom flies...similar but that's about it.

It is louder than the Phantom...noticeably.

It does NOT 'air brake' as well as the Phantom.

Auto Land is crazy to watch. Seems a tad 'erratic' on decent but once it gets about 10 feet, it stabilizes VERY WELL.

As is, the camera pics look like crap...way over exposed. Then I discovered the camera adjustment thumbwheel!!! NICE!!! Adjustments on the fly (pun absolutely intended!)!

Compared to the P3S, this thing's got range! Was out to 3,000 + feet before I knew it! NO warnings, NO disconnects, NO auto RTH engaged! LOVE it!

'Air braking' is really not all that.

Batteries take longer than an hour to charge...about the same time as the Phantom battery.

Startup is significantly more 'smooth' than the Phantom.

The app is wonderful! Instantly connects!

Get the Autel lens cap when you order the X-Star. Costs a couple dollars more than the Polar Pro but it is a better cap. Well worth it.

When filming, front arms & props are easily seen in the footage. I believe the Phantom had an update that addressed this issue.

It is built extremely well for the money it costs. Amazingly well, actually.

The props have aircraft aluminum center hubs while the Phantom has only nylon center hubs. This is important when it comes to ease of installing/removing the props.

I'm certain there are other things to discover, but for the few short flights I've made, I really like this thing! I love my Phantom also, though. If I could get the X-Star to fly like the Phantom...I'd be set. The X-Star flies great, don't get me wrong, but not Phantom great.

What firmware is your aircraft running on? The breaking and auto landing are significantly improved in the beta firmware.

Reactions: Kev66
Using Beta FW...If this is improved, I'm glad I didn't fly it on the FW it came with (whatever it was)! ;)

Hey Squirrel, good synopsis of the differences between the two. I haven't had any issues with air braking even from 33 MPH max speed setting...she leans back and comes to a dead hover. It was much different before the new firmware though I will tell you...it took forever to come to a hover from a full throttle forward. Guess I would need to see some still imagery from the phantom to compare quality, the jpg's I am taking are fantastic...yes I manually adjust the camera settings, but I am used to doing that from using an SLR. Playing around with the thumb wheel last night during sunset:

MAX_0028.JPG MAX_0027.JPG MAX_0026.JPG

They were also resized from original hi-res.

Nice pics! The thumbwheel kinda negates the need for ND filters I think.

The airbrake does what yours does...but even when leaning back, the thing doesn't halt as quickly as my P3S...

Thanks Squirrel...short of mounting my Nikon under it all the images come out pretty good. Now hopefully they release the 1" censor camera...that will be a changer right there.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials