Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

There Can Be Only One (drone)...

The pics taken during video mode are the same dimensions of the video and are not a screen shot. The difference is slightly different resolution. Pictures in video mode are 3840x2160. Pics in picture mode are 4000x3000.

Yes they are screen shots and has been answered many times on the Autel Facebook page by their customer reps. Unless they have no idea of what they are telling us it is a screen shoot only of the video you are taking at the time.

So are you saying you were flying in a No Fly Zone or just that the DJI Mavic Pro was confused with where you should be flying?

DJI NFZ restrictions are only defined as circles (center+radius), as a result they frequently don't line up with actual FAA restrictions.

You should mention that getting pictures is only a screen capture of the video you are shooting. Not a big deal as I screen capture a lot of my 4K videos but its not something that make the EVO good compared to other UAV's
You've lost me. That's exactly what I would have expected. I took my first mid-video photo today - by accident as I seem to press a lot of buttons unintentionally - and I was delighted with the quality of it.

Obviously, being accidental, it's not a properly framed photo but this JPEG file is as it came out of the camera - and it's a lot better quality than other in-camera JPEGs I have seen. The file size is 4.3MB and it opens to 23.7MB, ie. 3840 x 2160 which is the size I was filming in.

Front JPEG 4k25 Vivid 181018.JPG

Last edited:
You've lost me. That's exactly what I would have expected. I took my first mid-video photo today - by accident as I seem to press a lot of buttons unintentionally - and I was delighted with the quality of it.

Obviously, being accidental, it's not a properly framed photo but this JPEG file is as it came out of the camera - and it's a lot better quality than other in-camera JPEGs I have seen. The file size is 4.3MB and it opens to 23.7MB, ie. 3840 x 2160 which is the size I was filming in.

View attachment 2825
I think what they meant was it is just a still frame from the video. Originally when they said screen grab I thought they meant it was a lower resolution or a grab from the display on the phone. You can individually grab pics from the video that would be the same, but it is more labor intensive IMHO.

And you're likely to find a better still by taking your own screen grab, given the choice available. Nonetheless, Autel has found a good compression algorithm for the EVO's in-flight snapshots and I suspect their image quality is the envy of some of their pricier competitors.

To me it looks like Autel's software has been written by people who understand digital imaging (ditto the Autel hardware designers) whereas some other manufacturers are good at science but less knowledgeable about art.

DJI NFZ restrictions are only defined as circles (center+radius), as a result they frequently don't line up with actual FAA restrictions.
That isn't the case any longer. They updated the NFZ's. I don't care for the NFZ's and think they are overdone but... the DJI product overall is very good and worth working with the NFZ's..

Good choice on the EVO over the Air. EVO is superior to the Air.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy