Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Tablet question

Anton Chigurh

Reaction score
This is probably a silly question, but does the tablet linked to an X-Star premium need to have gps for full functionality? If so, what tablet do you recommend?

You'll only need GPS on your mobile device if you want to use the Follow flight mode or if you're going to need to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. All other GPS related features use the GPS receiver located inside of the X-Star.

As for devices, the Nvidia Shield K1 is a great Android device. For Apple devices, an iPad Pro, iPad Mini 2+, or iPad Air 2 are good options. A lot of Android devices contain GPS receivers. Only the cellular version of Apple devices contain GPS receivers.

I use the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2016 and works flawless. Under $300.00, make sure it is the 2016 model, older ones are not fast enough.

Orbit "Me" won't work w/o GPS, in addition to Follow Me and Set Home to "Me".

Neither, when I get home I'll send you the model #, it has an octacore and should cost around $280.00

You'll only need GPS on your mobile device if you want to use the Follow flight mode or if you're going to need to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. All other GPS related features use the GPS receiver located inside of the X-Star.

As for devices, the Nvidia Shield K1 is a great Android device. For Apple devices, an iPad Pro, iPad Mini 2+, or iPad Air 2 are good options. A lot of Android devices contain GPS receivers. Only the cellular version of Apple devices contain GPS receivers.

A GPS device also is useful if you bird lands somewhere other than home (like in a tree). wo/ a GPS on device it may not accurately show the the correct location on the tablet since you have roamed from home. I had it land about 1/4 mile from home in a tree and was off by ~300ft. luckily I found the craft.

I am using a LG G pad 7.0 LTE . so far it has worked flawlessly and I use it on my premium and I believe it's under $300

I have the Nvidia Shield K1. I was concerned with the alleged issues using the android based systems I had read about on several posts but to date mine has worked flawlessly. Since I only recently received my XSP maybe the bugs were worked out??

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JerPrin
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that my HTC Desire 610 phone works, but disappointed to learn that my older model Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet doesn't.

I use the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2016 and works flawless. Under $300.00, make sure it is the 2016 model, older ones are not fast enough.
Yeah, I'm looking at this today! Nice price drop on the 8gb 2016 model, (119.00 at Best Buy OR $100 for "Excellent Open Box")..not bad at all. I do have an older 2012 iPad Mini but noticed a bad lag on the app.

Plus I have a few Micro SD cards to bump up memory on the Samsung...something Apple never had. This would be my first Android device actually.

Samsung - Galaxy Tab A 7" 8GB - Black
(Full specs) Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 (2016) - Full tablet specifications

I did get the Tab A on Sunday, the price dropped again to 119 at Best Buy (it was 149 last week). The major pro to this tablet, NO video signal loss. I had a few amazing long distance flights and not a signal loss of video. But on the flipside, the live video on the app was choppy, almost like still motion, reminded me like I was viewing a video on Real Video player on Windows 95 circa 1998. I cleared out the RAM since it was reading 70-75% was being used by a ton of apps, other stuff I wasn't using..noticed a lot of "bloatware" that sucks up so much space I could use on the 8GB model, even after I installed the 32gb MicroSD card.. After cleaning, It dropped to 43% ram used but it didn't seem to fix the lag. If I didnt have that video lag I would have totally kept it. I ended up returning it on Monday. I don't know, maybe I got a bad tablet?

Still interested in a dedicated tablet just for the drone, I'll pick up one eventually.

Not sure if this is related to your problem but ever since I updated to the beta firmware I have started to get pixelation or lag on my screen in places I never used to get it. It is not real bad and it is not all the time but it seems to have developed ever since the new firmware.

I use a 10" Tab A and the live video is very smooth. I think the 10" version has an 8 core processor and the 7" only a quad core. I'm not a real 'techy' person so maybe that's why the 7" live video feed is choppy.

Not sure if this is related to your problem but ever since I updated to the beta firmware I have started to get pixelation or lag on my screen in places I never used to get it. It is not real bad and it is not all the time but it seems to have developed ever since the new firmware.

Nope, still on the current firmware, no Beta. I think Road_Rascal is right, the 10.1" Tab A does have much higher internal specs compared to the 7" Tab A.
I'm totally a noob when it comes to this type of operating system. This 7" Tab A comes with Android 5.1.1 "Lollipop" and that's it, you cannot upgrade it. I suppose this 2016 tablet can't handle the updates?...I thought was kind of lame.
The 10" Samsung comes with 6.0 software and can be upgraded to the most recent one, I think 7.0.

It reminds me of my original 2010 iPad, after 2012 when Apple released its update - ironically IOS 5.1.1. After that, there was no more upgrading that device.

Everyone was mentioning the Nvidia K1...yeah that looks amazing on YouTube, stinks that it was discontinued. And it's way too pricy on Ebay, other 3rd party vendors.
Ah well, I'll find a tablet eventually.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials