Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Switching from DJI to Autel

Paulf10

Reaction score
I’ve been seriously thinking of switching from DJI to Autel. Right now I have a Mavic Platinum Pro and a Phantom 4. I love the drones but I don’t like the company due to geofencing and customer service.
Autel has a Better Business Bureau rating of A+. DJI has a rating of C. I‘ve only had to deal with DJI Customer Service once in almost three years but it was a horrible experience to say the least.

The Evo 2 is about to be available and I’ve been debating between buying that or a Mavic 2 Pro. However what I’ve decided on is buying the Evo 1 so I can sort of “test” the Autel waters. That way I can see first hand what the company and drone is like and the Evo 2 will have a chance to get any bugs worked out.

What are your opinions? All are welcome and appreciate!

Reactions: dan_kirksey
We use DJI at work. They are nice drones, but GEOFENCING can be an issue BUT even a drone without GEOFENCING will need to obey local laws.

I loved my Autel, before my buddy crashed it. Lol. The Customer Service with Autel has been real helpful and responded in a timely manner to get the drone shipped back to them for repairs.

I know some people mentioned that they wished Autel would add a precision switch on the remote like DJI does. I think that would be nice.

I am definitely buying an EVO 2 6K. Probably will sell my EVO 1.

The obstacle avoidance is decent on the EVO 1 but EVO 2 looks way better.

Reactions: Paulf10
I’ve been seriously thinking of switching from DJI to Autel. Right now I have a Mavic Platinum Pro and a Phantom 4. I love the drones but I don’t like the company due to geofencing and customer service.
Autel has a Better Business Bureau rating of A+. DJI has a rating of C. I‘ve only had to deal with DJI Customer Service once in almost three years but it was a horrible experience to say the least.

The Evo 2 is about to be available and I’ve been debating between buying that or a Mavic 2 Pro. However what I’ve decided on is buying the Evo 1 so I can sort of “test” the Autel waters. That way I can see first hand what the company and drone is like and the Evo 2 will have a chance to get any bugs worked out.

No need to switch. I fly both and have been satisfied.

Although I havent had my evo1 very long,ive read alot about the hard time getting parts.It seem you have to mail your evo to the manufacturer to get most things repaired rather then them sending u parts. Just an FYI.

Reactions: Paulf10
Interesting! What do you fly? I fly a DJI MAVIC PLATINUM PRO and a Phantom 4. I love the drones, hate the company.?
I have a P4, M2P and an XSP, and I like all of them. If I'm flying in a nice open area, I'll use the M2P. If I'm flying over a volcano, I use my XSP.

I started out with P4P and won't touch a DJI drone, ever. Their asinine camera calibration computer screen graph was the last straw for me. I use EVO and Parrot, for what it's worth. And, you won't be sorry with EVO or EVO 2. Autel Robotics has the best customer support I've ever seen, of any company in any industry.

I have a Mavic two pro and an evo one , my favorite is the magic 2 and I love the evo except for the Gimbal and Yaw control are not as controllable as the Mavic .fyi

Dan
Like you I was thinking the same thing but...I pulled the trigger and ordered the EVO. MY HUMBLE OPINION I would advise you to wait. I have a Mavic 2 zoom, and to me the EVO isn’t in the same class at all. Just my 2 cents, don’t waste your time or money.

Reactions: parkgt and Paulf10
Dan
Like you I was thinking the same thing but...I pulled the trigger and ordered the EVO. MY HUMBLE OPINION I would advise you to wait. I have a Mavic 2 zoom, and to me the EVO isn’t in the same class at all. Just my 2 cents, don’t waste your time or money.
You are exactly right it just does not have the same controllability as the Mavic twos

Reactions: parkgt
I have 3 DJI drones and have had all the Phantoms, I recently purchased an EVO 1 just in case the remote ID thing come into play. I like the EVO however the props get in the frame and it's not a mavic. My Mavic 2z Mavic Air are both superior to the EVO but not by much, still better however. I will keep them all and use the MA and EVO for recreational and the M2z for commercial. On the DJI side the big difference is Litchi which is way better than the Go app or Explorer.

Reactions: parkgt
I have 3 DJI drones and have had all the Phantoms, I recently purchased an EVO 1 just in case the remote ID thing come into play. I like the EVO however the props get in the frame and it's not a mavic. My Mavic 2z Mavic Air are both superior to the EVO but not by much, still better however. I will keep them all and use the MA and EVO for recreational and the M2z for commercial. On the DJI side the big difference is Litchi which is way better than the Go app or Explorer.
I'm curious. How do you expect the Evo to help you with Remote ID?

Reactions: macoman
Remote ID requires a firmware update and unlike the dji drones the EVO does not prompt non stop for updates. On the DJI I use litchi which also does not allow prompts but there is scuttlebutt that dji may get drastic and force feed the updates.

Remote ID requires a firmware update and unlike the dji drones the EVO does not prompt non stop for updates. On the DJI I use litchi which also does not allow prompts but there is scuttlebutt that dji may get drastic and force feed the updates.
No it does not. If Remote ID goes into effect, the way it's proposed, all your fleet will be useless and you will have to purchase a new drone compatible with the serial and Remote ID systems.

All your drones have a serial number. The FAA requires that your drone has a specific way the serial is designed, which no drone in the market currently meets. Although all drones are capable to broadcast via wifi the information required by the FAA, most companies will not invest in all discontinued models. The software used also will be obsolete and like I said before, if the app has been discontinued, no company will modify it to meet Remote ID specifications. It's not legal, it's what is required the drone to do.

In the other hand, if your interest is to fly ilegally, then, basically any drone up to date can do that, regarless if it asks you to update upon opening the app or not.

Reactions: xspwhite
All your drones have a serial number. The FAA requires that your drone has a specific way the serial is designed, which no drone in the market currently meets. Although all drones are capable to broadcast via wifi the information required by the FAA, most companies will not invest in all discontinued models. The software used also will be obsolete and like I said before, if the app has been discontinued, no company will modify it to meet Remote ID specifications. It's not legal, it's what is required the drone to do.

In the other hand, if your interest is to fly ilegally, then, basically any drone up to date can do that, regarless if it asks you to update upon opening the app or not.
Well... I will have to enjoy the Evo and my Mavic Pro Platinum for the next two or three years until the id remote takes effect. This is the end of this hobby for me as far I am concerned. I am not going to join any AMA club just to fly my drones without remote ID. If they will be useless in two or three years them I will have to get rid of them.

Reactions: xspwhite
Well... I will have to enjoy the Evo and my Mavic Pro Platinum for the next two or three years until the id remote takes effect. This is the end of this hobby for me as far I am concerned. I am not going to join any AMA club just to fly my drones without remote ID. If they will be useless in two or three years them I will have to get rid of them.
Don't take off the gloves until the fight is over. Many things can happen until Remote ID is finalized. If they end up delivering what DJI proposed, all your drones, except the Evo currently have the system installed and operational. Just keep up to date on what's going on.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blindhout