Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Switching from DJI to Autel

There you go just ignore the Remote ID and fly. It's really no different than all the VLOS where people are flying miles up and miles wide. The FAA never checks to see if you are flying incorrectly they rely on tips and calls by cranky citizens. If this changes it will be an end to the hobby and Amazon and corporations will rule the skies

There you go just ignore the Remote ID and fly. It's really no different than all the VLOS where people are flying miles up and miles wide. The FAA never checks to see if you are flying incorrectly they rely on tips and calls by cranky citizens. If this changes it will be an end to the hobby and Amazon and corporations will rule the skies
That way of thinking is exacly what gave Bezos leverage to force the FAA to bring Remote ID. I was watching a video of La Policia Real de Madrid, about their new system to identify and locate drones flying and their PIC locations. Basically it's a system that covers most of Madrid, which identifies the signal of the AC and RC, their drone model, serial, gps location, altitude, etc. This was done without remote id. The Federal goverment's pockets are deeper than PRM's. Bezos can also be generous and donate said system to the FAA. Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it won't happen. I am for remote ID, just not what the FAA is proposing.

Reactions: xspwhite
Well I see it as a constitutional issue and the FAA is headed for a real fight on this one. There is nothing good related to remote ID. and laying down blindly accepting this infringement is what is wrong.

I will jump in here. Trust me, I am NO fanboi of DJI, however...here are my drones:
Autel Evo
Parrot Anafi
DJI - Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum, Mavic Mini, P4Padv, P4P 2.0
Along with a bunch of home built, mostly hex copters.
The EVO camera with 4k/60 is better than all the drones above, except the P4P's, and even with those the quality is very close - but of course night shots go to the P4P and the 1" sensor.
Build quality of product - I have no problem with the build quality of the Evo..top notch, as long as you aren't nit picking.
Forced Geo Fencing SUCKS, so of the drones above, all are unlocked except for the Mini. The Evo/Anafi have NFZ, but it isn't enforced. This is the way all drones should be, until it is legally mandated to be enforced by the hardware. You, as the pilot, are responsible for your actions, ALWAYS.

Travel drone. Hands down winner is the Parrot Anafi. Super light, great camera, lots of features, and super quiet. Remote kinds of sucks. No forced geofencing.
2nd to that would be the Evo in my opinion. About the same as the Mavic Pro/Platinum as far as space/weight goes, but WAY better camera. Remote is excellent.
Loudest drones - that goes to the big boys, the P4P's, but long flight time and best cameras. Yah, you COULD travel with them, but I wouldn't.
Mavic Mini - toy drone with a good camera. Geofencing. Currently can't be turned off. Show stopper for travel, unless you know for sure where all the DJI NFZ's are located ahead of time. Keep in mind that A LOT of DJI drone owners can't fly in their own yards, due to DJI geofencing. Sad, isn't it?

DJI as a company - fact that they CONTINUE to harvest your flight data. Despite what DJI fanbois say, this is a fact. (we reverse engineer their ummmm...crap) DJI Aeroscope, or DJI remote id. On ALL THE TIME, despite not being mandated by the FAA (USA) This means anyone with an Aeroscope device can see all your data and info tied to your drone, and.....AND, they get access to the DJI database so they can look up your DJI registration info. You did realize there was a reason for having to be forced into logging into the DJI app, or you can't fly, right? ;) Aeroscope tech is flawed and can be spoofed to make it appear that their are multitudes of DJI drones flying when their aren't, using your home router/Wifi.
The other drone companies do not force login to their apps.

If I could only use one of the drones above and all the DJI drones were stock and not have NFZ/Altitude bypassed, hands down I would go with the Autel Evo.
Yes, they are a Chinese company, but to my knowledge their app does not harvest any flight information, or data from you...but we have not checked the app yet.
Waiting for the release of the 8k and 6k 1" sensor model. If the video is as sharp as the Evo 1, Autel will have big winners in their lineup. The camera on the Evo is amazeballs.

Bottom line for me:
You can't go wrong with buying a EVO 1 right now, due to the great camera it has, even though new EVO 2's are right around the corner, soon to be released.

Obstacle avoidance. I don't use it ever. Know how to fly, keep the drone in sight and you shouldn't ever need it. This is why I didn't mention it.
Mavic Pro 2 drones. Don't have one, won't buy one. My opinion...the camera is not that much of an upgrade to the Evo 1 and STILL can't do 4k/60.

Drawback to the Evo. RC reception. Not the best for strong signal reception in a busy wifi area. No 5.8g, only 2.4g. I modded my Evo RC to take external amplified antennas, since I usually fly in heavy Wifi areas. Occusync 2, which is DJI's on the M2's and the P4P 2.0 is amazing. Super strong signal reception no matter where you fly. Yes, it's that good. I am not sure if the Mavic Mini has that also, but that one too has a good signal reception, better than the Evo, in my flying area. Your area may be different and the Evo RC may be fine.
The Evo also has the built in screen, which is great. Easy to setup and go if you don't want to use a tablet or phone to fly with.

Hope this helps you or anyone else.

Last edited:
I will jump in here. Trust me, I am NO fanboi of DJI, however...here are my drones:
Autel Evo
Parrot Anafi
DJI - Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum, Mavic Mini, P4Padv, P4P 2.0
Along with a bunch of home built, mostly hex copters.
The EVO camera with 4k/60 is better than all the drones above, except the P4P's, and even with those the quality is very close - but of course night shots go to the P4P and the 1" sensor.
Build quality of product - I have no problem with the build quality of the Evo..top notch, as long as you aren't nit picking.
Forced Geo Fencing SUCKS, so of the drones above, all are unlocked except for the Mini. The Evo/Anafi have NFZ, but it isn't enforced. This is the way all drones should be, until it is legally mandated to be enforced by the hardware. You, as the pilot, are responsible for your actions, ALWAYS.

Travel drone. Hands down winner is the Parrot Anafi. Super light, great camera, lots of features, and super quiet. Remote kinds of sucks. No forced geofencing.
2nd to that would be the Evo in my opinion. About the same as the Mavic Pro/Platinum as far as space/weight goes, but WAY better camera. Remote is excellent.
Loudest drones - that goes to the big boys, the P4P's, but long flight time and best cameras. Yah, you COULD travel with them, but I wouldn't.
Mavic Mini - toy drone with a good camera. Geofencing. Currently can't be turned off. Show stopper for travel, unless you know for sure where all the DJI NFZ's are located ahead of time. Keep in mind that A LOT of DJI drone owners can't fly in their own yards, due to DJI geofencing. Sad, isn't it?

DJI as a company - fact that they CONTINUE to harvest your flight data. Despite what DJI fanbois say, this is a fact. (we reverse engineer their ummmm...crap) DJI Aeroscope, or DJI remote id. On ALL THE TIME, despite not being mandated by the FAA (USA) This means anyone with an Aeroscope device can see all your data and info tied to your drone, and.....AND, they get access to the DJI database so they can look up your DJI registration info. You did realize there was a reason for having to be forced into logging into the DJI app, or you can't fly, right? ;) Aeroscope tech is flawed and can be spoofed to make it appear that their are multitudes of DJI drones flying when their aren't, using your home router.
The other drone companies do not force login to their apps.

If I could only use one of the drones above and all the DJI drones were stock and not have NFZ/Altitude bypassed, hands down I would go with the Autel Evo.
Yes, they are a Chinese company, but to my knowledge their app does not harvest any flight information, or data from you...but we have not checked the app yet.
Waiting for the release of the 8k and 6k 1" sensor model. If the video is as sharp as the Evo 1, Autel will have big winners in their lineup. The camera on the Evo is amazeballs.

Bottom line for me:
You can't go wrong with buying a EVO 1 right now, due to the great camera it has, even though new EVO 2's are right around the corner, soon to be released.

Obstacle avoidance. I don't use it ever. Know how to fly, keep the drone in sight and you shouldn't ever need it. This is why I didn't mention it.
Mavic Pro 2 drones. Don't have one, won't buy one. My opinion...the camera is not that much of an upgrade to the Evo 1 and STILL can't do 4k/60.

Drawback to the Evo. RC reception. Not the best for strong signal reception in a busy wifi area. No 5.8g, only 2.4g. I modded my Evo RC to take external amplified antennas, since I usually fly in heavy Wifi areas. Occusync 2, which is DJI's on the M2's and the P4P 2.0 is amazing. Super strong signal reception no matter where you fly. Yes, it's that good. I am not sure if the Mavic Mini has that also, but that one too has a good signal reception, better than the Evo, in my flying area. Your area may be different and the Evo RC may be fine.
The Evo also has the built in screen, which is great. Easy to setup and go if you don't want to use a tablet or phone to fly with.

Hope this helps you or anyone else.
Thank you for such an honest and detailed repl!?

Reactions: xspwhite
I agree as Obstacle avoidance is a non issue and you can pick up a nice used EVO with hard case and extra batteries for about $700 which is what I did. Best bang for the buck

I decided on the MP2 rather then the EVO because of the parts issue with Autel. Being able to buy parts and do my own repairs is a big deal for me. Having a drone that you can't purchase parts for is just plumb depressing.

Reactions: Paulf10 and parkgt
just registered to comment. I had P4P, Mavic 2, I2. Worst customer service, it's not like they are bad people, it's the flow of communication. Mavic 2 no problem but not worth the price. I2 was a nightmare, DOA batteries for a $10k grand drone package. P4P is too loud for a somewhat portable drone. Lastly, Geofence and force connect to fly is terrible. So stay away from DJI and look else where. I'm waiting for Evo 2 pro just like most of you.

Reactions: Paulf10
No it does not. If Remote ID goes into effect, the way it's proposed, all your fleet will be useless and you will have to purchase a new drone compatible with the serial and Remote ID systems.
There will be accessories you can buy and attach to drones to comply with remote ID...the industry is working on them with an expected price point of around $50. You're fleet will not be grounded when remote ID goes into effect.

No it does not. If Remote ID goes into effect, the way it's proposed, all your fleet will be useless and you will have to purchase a new drone compatible with the serial and Remote ID systems.
There will be accessories you can buy and attach to drones to comply with remote ID...the industry is working on them with an expected price point of around $50. You're fleet will not be grounded when remote ID goes into effect.

I have no facts whatsoever and this is strictly my opinion: the deployment of remote ID will be delayed (from a systemwide implementation perspective) and the law will NOT go into effect as planned. why? because there isn't a PLAN that makes sense.

I have no facts whatsoever and this is strictly my opinion: the deployment of remote ID will be delayed (from a systemwide implementation perspective) and the law will NOT go into effect as planned. why? because there isn't a PLAN that makes sense.
Exactly. Plus "all your fleet will be useless and you will have to purchase a new drone compatible with the serial and Remote ID systems" assumes no grandfathering of existing aircraft, and that everyone will willingly comply. I don't see the latter happening at all! The majority of drone pilots today are still unregistered. They won't stop flying their existing incompatible drones until they crash or are pried from their cold, dead fingers!

Reactions: kSetuni
Well I see it as a constitutional issue and the FAA is headed for a real fight on this one. There is nothing good related to remote ID. and laying down blindly accepting this infringement is what is wrong.
The FAA in and of itself is completely unconstitutional. Especially in the areas of drones. The geofencing of DJI is what's making me consider switching to autel for my next drone

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58