Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Steep mountainsides

If it's that dangerous, I would be standing at the bottom - or maybe investing in a drone parachute to get it down.

"The Bottom" is a bank to bank creek. And I will be first in line to get the WATERPROOF Evo. If I could land it on the water and not risk destroying it- that would simplify everything. Attached is a photo of the location I was in when I figured I needed some other sort of landing/take off system. Kinda steep.

Attachments

• WW Hillside.jpg
    WW Hillside.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Unfortunately, on the steep canyon hillside, footing isn't great.... It's not like standing on a grassy field. If I loose my balance while specifically focusing on catching the Evo, I could literally fall off a cliff. I think I will build my PVC landing pad. I've got it designed in my head.... I will probably build one today and upload a photo.

Good luck unfolding it, doing a good pre-flight check, getting your controller and phone hooked together and then going through all the little steps to get airborn... Careful with that Gimbal cover... Here's one solution:

Reactions: YuKay
"The Bottom" is a bank to bank creek. And I will be first in line to get the WATERPROOF Evo. If I could land it on the water and not risk destroying it- that would simplify everything. Attached is a photo of the location I was in when I figured I needed some other sort of landing/take off system. Kinda steep.

Kinda Steep??? Steep means "sloped" where I'm from... That looks vertical. You could get a turkey hunting seat... Small, collapsible, there are some attach to the base of a tree like a tree stand.. But it would give you a place to sit too..
91BAPcOPBwL._SL1500_.jpg

So I have been threatening to make my portable helipad. I have other DIY projects, so I just threw this together so you guys could get an idea about what I am thinking. Basically I bought a bunch of 1/2" PVC pieces so I could push them together on location, add a platform, use it and then take it apart. My first shot is the platform part of it. I will bring some 1/2" S/S connectors and some extra pipe in case the terrain is much steeper. For the platform, I am going to rip the 1/4" ply into 3" strips and then attach them to each other via duct tape, so when I need to pack it up, it will fold up like an accordian and only be 3" wide and probably 2"-3" deep. I will drill some holes in the 1/4" plywood and get those twisty rubber things to use to attach the deck to the frame. If you notice on the longer legs I added a "T" with some short pieces of pipe. That would be so I could hold the whole thing down with some rocks (there are LOTS of rocks where I go). I may try it this weekend and maybe take a movie of it. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Attachments

• Portable pad frame.jpg
    Portable pad frame.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Portable pad.jpg
    Portable pad.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 17
no, I am guessing on the leg length. I will bring a couple different sizes as they are lightweight, and the whole package ought to pack pretty tightly.

Indeed. It doesn't look as though your design will solve the problem you have described - which surely requires each leg length to be independently adjustable. But much will depend on how level the EVO needs to be before it will take off.

Rube Goldberg would approve. But if I'm carrying 14 pieces to the top of that mountain, it's going to be Chicken in a bucket. I think it's too complicated OP. There are too many parts to put together, drop, fall, get lost... I'd want a smaller package with less moving parts, preferably something that serves multiple uses.

Why not place a flat surface where you can screw it into this tripod and it will be easier to carry around. You will be able to adjust each individual leg to your current needs and it's essy to carry around.View attachment 3256
Less hassle and it's rather cheap.

Extended Camera Tripod Mount Stand+Phone Holder Bracket f Nikon Canon Sony DSLR | eBay
Why not place a flat surface where you can screw it into this tripod and it will be easier to carry around. You will be able to adjust each individual leg to your current needs and it's essy to carry around.View attachment 3256
Less hassle and it's rather cheap.

Extended Camera Tripod Mount Stand+Phone Holder Bracket f Nikon Canon Sony DSLR | eBay
Now THAT's an idea. Afterall, the drone doesn't weigh THAT much. I happen to have one sitting right here. Thanks for the idea....maybe even incorporate the PVC platform to the tripod. ...... great idea...... THANKS

Reactions: Ansia
Now THAT's an idea. Afterall, the drone doesn't weigh THAT much. I happen to have one sitting right here. Thanks for the idea....maybe even incorporate the PVC platform to the tripod. ...... great idea...... THANKS
I just took @YuKay 's idea and developed it further.

Reactions: YuKay
It was a rejected idea on Sunday. There are two kinds of people: those who are good with their hands and those who are good with their brain. And the world needs both.

It was a rejected idea on Sunday. There are two kinds of people: those who are good with their hands and those who are good with their brain. And the world needs both.
You must also consider that some people are visual. Perhaps when you mentioned the word tripod, he didn't visualize the possibilities. When I uploaded a picture, he saw the potential there and went that route.

You must also consider that some people are visual. Perhaps when you mentioned the word tripod, he didn't visualize the possibilities. When I uploaded a picture, he saw the potential there and went that route.
It was rejected because I was in the PVC thinking mode. It didn't occur to me to use a camera tripod. Duh!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials