Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!

Steep mountainsides

minerrick

Reaction score
I am new to this whole thing, but I gotta tell you... every time I fly the Evo, I am really impressed by the engineering - very cool. So when i go out, I am not flying in a nice open field or park. I hike into incredibly steep and narrow canyons looking for historical remnants. I want the drone to fly the canyons to view the landscape. One thing I didn't think about before I hiked into the latest canyon was..... in a steep canyon, there are zero flat spots to take off from. On a 45 degree slope, what kind of DIY contraption do you use to create a level landing pad? I thought about it and I am going to use 1/2" pvc (without gluing the pieces so it can be taken apart) to build a frame with adustable legs on the downhill side. I will then get some 1/4" wood cut into 4" strips and duct tape the together (so they will roll up to fit in a pack)... and I am thinking of just bolting the wood to the frame (with bolts and wing nuts) and set some rocks on the legs for stability ... and theoretically, a stable and big (enough) landing pad. What do you guys use?

Reactions: KentA

KentA

Reaction score
I think you should research hand launching & retrieval.

There are videos available to teach technique but basically you grasp the bird from underneath. Takeoff is easy- I hold it firmly in my right hand & increase throttle gently with the left until it wants to pull away. Catching it requires only slightly more skill- I hover a few yards in front & slightly above head height. Then I walk over & grasp the quad firmly & shut it down with the other hand.

KentA

Reaction score
Well, I'm inexperienced with the Evo. I fly the X-Star with those nice long legs. I expect you will have different sensors to work around.

minerrick

Reaction score
Actually, this video says hand catching and launching is a problem:
so I guess I will build the fold up platform to pack into the canyons.

KentA

Reaction score
Here is a video Francis ( aka franlac) made. He talks funny, but he flies Autel cameras brilliantly.

Last edited:

rkyleh

Reaction score
I am new to this whole thing, but I gotta tell you... every time I fly the Evo, I am really impressed by the engineering - very cool. So when i go out, I am not flying in a nice open field or park. I hike into incredibly steep and narrow canyons looking for historical remnants. I want the drone to fly the canyons to view the landscape. One thing I didn't think about before I hiked into the latest canyon was..... in a steep canyon, there are zero flat spots to take off from. On a 45 degree slope, what kind of DIY contraption do you use to create a level landing pad? I thought about it and I am going to use 1/2" pvc (without gluing the pieces so it can be taken apart) to build a frame with adustable legs on the downhill side. I will then get some 1/4" wood cut into 4" strips and duct tape the together (so they will roll up to fit in a pack)... and I am thinking of just bolting the wood to the frame (with bolts and wing nuts) and set some rocks on the legs for stability ... and theoretically, a stable and big (enough) landing pad. What do you guys use?
Find a fold up shovel that way you can dig a small flat spot into the side of the slope. It doesn't take a lot of space for the EVO and then hand catch, it is easy to master.

Reactions: UnRanged

minerrick

Reaction score
The fly in the ointment of all these suggestions is where I am in these canyons is all rock. No digging.... but lots of rocks. I will build my foldable PVC Contraption and post a pic. I have a pic in my mind what I want to do.

Reactions: KentA

UnRanged

Reaction score
If you have a flat spot where you can set it to get the props spinning, then you can lift it and launch it from your hand. I've had to do that in a few spots where the takeoff is sketchy. Be careful not to get your arm in the way...

mjbok

Reaction score
I would be equally (or more) concerned about landing. You can take off from an area that is flat (whether natural or some table, etc) that is just a smidge bigger than the drone. I would (in a situation like yours) hand catch for the landing as being extremely precise is much harder landing.

Aussie Droner

Reaction score
I just hand launch and retrieve. It's not that difficult. It may take a little practice though.

fly186

Reaction score
I just hand launch and retrieve. It's not that difficult. It may take a little practice though.
Hand launch the Evo? I doubt it. I have tried numerous times and failed.
I suggest the OP open a support ticket with Autel and push for a hand launch option as other drones have. If enough Evo customers ask for it they might provide this feature.

minerrick

Reaction score
I will need to build a platform. The canyons I go into have zero 24" wide flat places - you are lucky to find a 6" flat place. So I will build something out of 1/2" PVC with adjustable legs.

mixchief

Reaction score
I think you should research hand launching & retrieval.

There are videos available to teach technique but basically you grasp the bird from underneath. Takeoff is easy- I hold it firmly in my right hand & increase throttle gently with the left until it wants to pull away. Catching it requires only slightly more skill- I hover a few yards in front & slightly above head height. Then I walk over & grasp the quad firmly & shut it down with the other hand.
have you hand launched an EVO?

mixchief

Reaction score
As of now it seems impossible to do unless, I guess you can stand like a statue, EVO doesn't like any instability or movement and will not start motors unless the proper conditions are et. I know it's a bit of a drag, even from a boat I understand it is not very cooperative.

minerrick

Reaction score
Unfortunately, on the steep canyon hillside, footing isn't great.... It's not like standing on a grassy field. If I loose my balance while specifically focusing on catching the Evo, I could literally fall off a cliff. I think I will build my PVC landing pad. I've got it designed in my head.... I will probably build one today and upload a photo.

Reactions: KentA and mixchief

YuKay

Reaction score
If it's that dangerous, I would be standing at the bottom - or maybe investing in a drone parachute to get it down.

Reactions: UnRanged

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allen_non