Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

spy

How could any info from my Evo be transferred if I am not using my phone?
It can't be if you're not connected to wifi or cellular service and that's part of the reason why I use a tablet without wifi or cellular service as a dedicated device for my XSP. Also you're not forced to update your sh** and there is no way any information can be sent out anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madhungarian
That's exactly what I was saying when I said "An app doesn't use a chip (it's software)."

Autel requires you to use an app also and it works with your phone. Chips may not be compatible with some apps/software. Is that what you mean? If so i'm pretty sure the Autel app/s are compatible with Huawei chips and tons of other phones/tablets with other chips.
Autel app is not written perhaps to log and send information to China like DJI.(The article specifically states DJI) When DJI app runs on a phone that has a Huawei chipset this could mean that your being spied on. This is not really new since the go app and has been known for data mining.

I agree. Autel's software IN the drone (or even firmware in this case which is a combination of software and hardware drivers combined) may have that hidden software/app installed on it also or even in the app on your device. I would bet dollar to dollar that Autel's drones are made in the same chinese factory as DJI so if they do it on one they'll do it on the other. The only way it can do that is if it has an IP address and it is connected to the internet somehow (wifi or cellular service). Without that it can't send the information.

Last edited:
I like to fly with LTE on. So chinese men know about me?
Who knows.
If someone insists on having it connected to wifi/cell then they could possibly block the app/software from sending outbound information with some sort of firewall and blocking that specific app/software if it's not hidden somehow or using a vpn maybe or even a proxy. But obviously most normal people won't go that far to protecting their privacy. I've been around the hacking world for a long time (ethical hacking) and there are a lot of ways that they do these things and a lot of ways that you can avoid them and protect yourself.

Reactions: Ansia
Who knows.
If someone insists on having it connected to wifi/cell then they could possibly block the app/software from sending outbound information with some sort of firewall and blocking that specific app/software if it's not hidden somehow or using a vpn maybe or even a proxy. But obviously most normal people won't go that far to protecting their privacy. I've been around the hacking world for a long time (ethical hacking) and there are a lot of ways that they do these things and a lot of ways that you can avoid them and protect yourself.
These are the settings I allow the app to run. Does it help if any? I am not paranoid, since I live a boring life, but it's always better to prevent than lament.

Screenshot_20190520-221353_Package installer.jpg

Reactions: Madhungarian
Hard to tell. It may be totally hidden like I said. You look fairly safe with WHAT WE CAN SEE. For how you live or like myself I would not worry. The only thing they would see with what you showed me (if your unit sends that info out) is your onboard storage like your pics, videos and location. Storage would be anything on the internal storage or any SD card installed likely, so whatever you put on there like apk's or anything else you put on there they could see.

Hard to tell. It may be totally hidden like I said. You look fairly safe with WHAT WE CAN SEE. For how you live or like myself I would not worry. The only thing they would see with what you showed me (if your unit sends that info out) is your onboard storage like your pics, videos and location. Storage would be anything on the internal storage or any SD card installed likely, so whatever you put on there like apk's or anything else you put on there they could see.
Well I have the apps to pay my bills. They can pay my bills for me if they like.

Well I have the apps to pay my bills. They can pay my bills for me if they like.
I really do not think you can be private with a phone nowadays, they come with alot of bloatware and apps pre installed. The entities that know the most are Google, Apple and Microsoft. You can turn things off but you really cannot be 100 percent sure. (for most consumers)

Reactions: Tufargon
Autel pretty much asks the same permissions as DJI does. It just won't call China, like DJI does.
Screenshot_20190520-233902_Package installer.jpg

Is this a current story or a rehash? Can’t find anything about it down here in Oz, although in the middle of last year, there was a similar story about Australian Defence Forces. I believe they are still using DJI drones, but may or may not have in some way modified the software. Remember, you can’t use a DJI drone—at least one off the shelf—without registering. Doesn’t apply to the Evo. Anyway, as far as anyone seeing what I shoot, I hope they like pictures of rural real estate and beautiful countryside. :)

Guess it's time for us to hang the Chinese to dry, go buy Parrots and spy for the French.
Yup. If any of you have ever held any Gov’t security clearances, you’re continually trained on known threats, industrial espionage too. France always makes the list of threats, surprisingly...

Yup. If any of you have ever held any Gov’t security clearances, you’re continually trained on known threats, industrial espionage too. France always makes the list of threats, surprisingly...
I guess that all countries are interested in spying into other countries. It doesn't come as a surprise.

How could any info from my Evo be transferred if I am not using my phone?
I have the same question. Can the Evo fly if it doesn't have the latest firmware? DJI can actually shut off your drone if they want to. Can Evo do this?

I have the same question. Can the Evo fly if it doesn't have the latest firmware? DJI can actually shut off your drone if they want to. Can Evo do this?
Autel does not force updates and the software does not ground you like DJI. Updates are usually for bug fixes and improvements and there are no forced geo fencing enabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightbat2

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58