Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Spokane Washington

Flying Pumpkin69

Reaction score
Hello from Spokane Washington I have the XSP orange and only flown it 4 times looking for other flyers to talk with,fly with and find new places to explore.
Love this drone but I have alot to learn and hoping to find other Pilots to help me along.
Scrib

Hello from Spokane Washington I have the XSP orange and only flown it 4 times looking for other flyers to talk with,fly with and find new places to explore.
Love this drone but I have alot to learn and hoping to find other Pilots to help me along.
Scrib
Have you flown above a train yet.......
Maybe one moving on a bridge from the side about eyeball level with the cab.
Especially with sun at your back for max lighting..... and beautiful colors.
Enjoy

Reactions: mulk777
Against the law.
Trains and railway bridges are considered critical infrastructure in the United States along with dams. You would be surprised at how many critical infrastructure's there are.

Against the law.
Trains and railway bridges are considered critical infrastructure in the United States along with dams. You would be surprised at how many critical infrastructure's there are.
Thank you very much for the info.
Maybe over Escambia Bay, if I stay back 100 yards or so from the trestle.......... maybe I'll be safe

I really don't think you would have any problem videoing a train going over a trestle. Not many people know the law. People you would have to look out for are workers around the critical infrastructure. Talking with a guy from the FAA on facebook said as long as you get permission you are OK. He flies a Autel XSP also and offers his knowledge to anybody who asks.

That's a really good point Agustine; most of the "critical infrastructure" restrictions may be legally bypassed by gaining permission from the "owner" or "operator" of the infrastructure. I'm attempting to gain permission for a couple sites around here; but as they are owned by the US Dept of the Interior, you can imagine how hard it is to even track anybody down...let alone get them to meet with me!

That's a really good point Agustine; most of the "critical infrastructure" restrictions may be legally bypassed by gaining permission from the "owner" or "operator" of the infrastructure. I'm attempting to gain permission for a couple sites around here; but as they are owned by the US Dept of the Interior, you can imagine how hard it is to even track anybody down...let alone get them to meet with me!

Funny how it used to be so easy to go somewhere and fly your loud little model air plane but NOW, just mention the word "DRONE" ..... OMG and the fear of God in these people's eyes .............

Reactions: TAMU1996
Have you flown above a train yet.......
Maybe one moving on a bridge from the side about eyeball level with the cab.
Especially with sun at your back for max lighting..... and beautiful colors.
Enjoy
Ha ha no I'm a newbie but it sure sounds like a great movie opportunity

Against the law.

Out of curiosity, would flying parallel to critical infrastructure be treated the same as "over" the same?

There's a railway over a local lake. The length over water is approximately 1 mile.

Would flying parallel to the tracks/train, say at a distance of 50 yards, be considered "over?"

I've been scouting a home base from which I launch the XSP and then parallel a train as it crosses the bridge. I think it would make for some great footage, but, obviously, I don't want to run afoul of the law.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it is a very large grey area and you would not be at any risk of breaking the law unless you got right into their face sort of thing.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the AutelXPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in Autel quadcopter’s.

For what it's worth, I have a friend who asked the local rail line if it was OK and they told him if he didn't interfere with the operation of the tracks he was good to fly over and nearby them. He lives in a rural area so YMMV.

Enjoy!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials