Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Some Thoughts on Frames Per Second...

Apollo11capcom

Reaction score
Seems like just about everyone talks about filming at 30 or 60 fps, Does anyone here use 24 fps on a regular basis?

I've read a lot about 24 fps being the 'cinematic look' choice. I'm thinking about doing some experiments to see if I can mimic that look. I'm limited in some areas, but I think I have enough to work with to get pretty close. I'll just pick out a movie to use for comparison, and if the result isn't too bad I'll post it here.

Up until now I've been filming at 60 fps and rendering at 24, but to really get the elements right, e.g. motion blur, I'll actually have to film at 24.

If you are going to render at 24, I suggest you record at 48.
I was planning on recording and rendering at 24, that was sorta my point... the 24 fps magic frame rate for the cinematic look, motion blur, etc.

Seems like just about everyone talks about filming at 30 or 60 fps, Does anyone here use 24 fps on a regular basis?

I've read a lot about 24 fps being the 'cinematic look' choice. I'm thinking about doing some experiments to see if I can mimic that look. I'm limited in some areas, but I think I have enough to work with to get pretty close. I'll just pick out a movie to use for comparison, and if the result isn't too bad I'll post it here.

Up until now I've been filming at 60 fps and rendering at 24, but to really get the elements right, e.g. motion blur, I'll actually have to film at 24.
If you are going to render at 24, I suggest you record at 48.

I was planning on recording and rendering at 24, that was sorta my point... the 24 fps magic frame rate for the cinematic look, motion blur, etc.

I've read a little on the 24 fps effect and still learning myself.

So like rendering a 4K@60 capture to 4K@30 or 1080@30 is compatible - and usually used to get rid of artifacts/aliasing, so I have read - and witnessed.

...would capturing at 48 fps still give you that "effect" once rendered down to 24 fps? -- Or does something get somewhat lost in transition?

I've read a little on the 24 fps effect and still learning myself.

So like rendering a 4K@60 capture to 4K@30 or 1080@30 is compatible - and usually used to get rid of artifacts/aliasing, so I have read - and witnessed.

...would capturing at 48 fps still give you that "effect" once rendered down to 24 fps? -- Or does something get somewhat lost in transition?
I think to get the motion blur to the level you see in movies you would be required to film at 24, the reason I think that is if you record at a higher rate, the frames you capture are clear, without blur. When you render down to 24 in post you're still rendering those same clear frames, the blur won't happen naturally in the frame rate reduction process- you would have to add the motion blur as an effect, I've seen the motion blur effect option in just about all post software. But that's not "organic." (I almost want to punch myself for using that word).

Reactions: thomasr
This is a video for using a little app to tell you which filter to use on an Osmo Pocket, but it shows a good example of what I'm looking for at 24 fps.

Reactions: Ansia
But that's not "organic." (I almost want to punch myself for using that word).

?

When I see words like that or: light, or lite, or "ALL-NATURAL" --- ugh...

No thanks -- give me the REAL DEAL! -- cause all that other stuff is not the same... lol

This is a video for using a little app to tell you which filter to use on an Osmo Pocket, but it shows a good example of what I'm looking for at 24 fps.

Oh yeah - that was my next step of learning the camera and if it is right -- lens filters to make things in general better looking

-- but as you mention -- this is a BIG part of capturing 24 fps, ... and have all of your other settings fine tuned in correctly...

... just the same as using a polarized filter is best if doing a lot of filming over water type thing

It is not just as simple though, as if you are using the right F-stop -- for the conditions at the time you are filming. That's what makes 24 fps - 24 fps ? you have to get a lot of things right to get "That look..."

Oh yeah - that was my next step of learning the camera and if it is right -- lens filters to make things in general better looking

-- but as you mention -- this is a BIG part of capturing 24 fps, ... and have all of your other settings fine tuned in correctly...

... just the same as using a polarized filter is best if doing a lot of filming over water type thing

It is not just as simple though, as if you are using the right F-stop -- for the conditions at the time you are filming. That's what makes 24 fps - 24 fps ? you have to get a lot of things right to get "That look..."
It all turns out to be a little easier than it first looks. I started by learning one element at a time, from there it's just trial and error, experimentation, etc. I'm no pro, but I'm a lot better than when I started.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials