Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

So, now what

I don't disagree with you on the potential for disaster, but an 83 year old Piper Cub represents a totally different era in business and manufacturing. My 96 year old grandmother has a 65 year old washing machine that she still repairs herself, and I have a 1968 Diesel Mercedes that I can usually fix with parts from the hardware store; think the same could be said about a 2020 Honda or a new washing machine from home depot? In this era of "Planned Obsolescence" even the simplest things contain PCB boards.

The circuitry isn't what usually fails. Arms, propellers, gimbals, and cameras are damaged in accidents; controllers are damaged when they are dropped; and of course, batteries fail when they can no longer hold a charge.

In the specific case of batteries, they're being used by electronics manufacturers of all kinds as a tool of intentional, planned obsolescence. There are only a handful of battery chemistry types, and there's no good reason why manufacturers can't standardize around a handful of form factors that can be used in similar applications. Then the cells -- the only parts of the device that we know for a fact are going to wear out -- could be easily replaced into the existing battery holders.

But they don't do that. Even within manufacturers' own lines, they intentionally use non-standard shapes and sizes of electrically-identical cells; and then embed them in holders that are designed to be difficult to open up without destroying them. They may even glue the batteries into the device or embed logic in them just to make sure that nobody can economically replace them.

That's bad enough in the case of a something like a phone or a media player. But it's potential manslaughter in the case of an aircraft.

I'm a libertarian and not fond of legislation. But I support "right-to-repair" laws that would require that batteries be standardized and replaceable; and that all parts to a device either be made available by the manufacturer, or their technical specifications published to allow for aftermarket replacements if the manufacturer decides to stop providing them.

The difference is that drones are considered, registered, and used as aircraft. It would be extremely easy for FAA (and other nations' equivalents) to bring them under existing standards with regard to maintenance, inspection, and parts.

And you know what? Maybe that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I can buy PMA parts for an 83-year-old Piper Cub from my choice of vendors in the time it takes me to fill out a Web form, but you can't buy a battery for a 5-year-old drone?

How does that make any sense?

What will happen at some point is that someone will be forced to rewire a battery or jerry-rig a repair on a drone because of the manufacturer's dropping support, and that drone will wind up causing an accident, injury, or air disaster when it malfunctions.

The victims' families will sue the pilot, the manufacturer, and the FAA. The pilot will be ruined, and the manufacturer will be in court for years. But the FAA will quickly settle and will thereafter bring all drones under FAR 43: and then you'll all be paying me to do your inspections.

If a drone is an aircraft, then treat it as such. Either keep making the parts, or license other companies to make them.
Only considered such if you follow and buy into the FAA. Anyone with any sense recognizes that the FAA is unconstitutional and is overstepping any authority they may try to have in regards to drones. However anything in violation of the constitution is null and void, which includes any edicts from the FAA. It's far past time we tell them to shove it.

Any X-Star or EVO I owners holding out hope for Autel support should check out the latest statement from the company. On 2 July Autel announced that on 31 December 2021 " the first generation EVO will enter its End of Availability (EOA) phase"...and "June of 2022 is the expected time frame for the first generation EVO to enter its End of Service (EOS) phase". BUT, the June 2022 date is just an estimate; basically they are going to go until they sell all of the parts in their warehouses!
It's obvious we are not a priority unless we buy an EVO II!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy