Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

SMART CONTROLLER v1

Just curious, why do people believe the V1 Smart Controller is worth twice retail? Sure they only made a few, but the V2 is on the way, and it's dual channel instead of single channel, it's Blue Certified, and it has the potential to be viable for more than a month like V1...

All kidding aside, seriously. Why is the V1 worth twice it's retail? There's absolutely nothing special about it, and it's already obsolesced. I own a refurbished V1 Evo II Pro, and I just can't see spending more than retail on something that will only ever work with this version. I guess we'll see how this all shakes out. But my guess is that in the next 6-months or so, definitely in the time frame of the next version launch... they'll be more than a few of these going up for sale, for a lot less than retail.

I understand supply and demand, but is there really that big of demand for the V1 smart controllers?

There's one on ebay here: Autel Smart Controller - EVO 2 6K / 8K - V1 / Only 500 alloted to USA | eBay

And There's the one from the post above, the owner of which I've chatted with in another forum here on AutelPilots, with the same result as the ebay seller... Both are 100% sure they're sitting on a nice golden nugget.

I just don't understand the thinking.
we are trying to sell our v1 sc to someone who *wants* one not to those who have no desire for one. if you want one and you have a fleet of v1 drones (or even one v1 drone), how exactly are you supposed to easily buy one for retail price?

it's not very easy to get out of your v1 drone and into a v2 drone in order to purchase the v2 sc (at retail price). if it were easy (let's say the v1 drone was $499) then yes, the v1 sc would be worth a lot less.

in this case, I would say the supply side has a more pronounced effect on the market price than the demand. many sellers are pricing the v1 sc on the basis that they don't really want to give up their v1 sc but will do so at the right [high] price.

Exactly, I don’t plan on upgrading to a V2 and getting the SC V1 was to my benefit cost wise.

Another thing, if I was ever to sell off my SC V1 (and I won’t) it wouldn’t be marked up at these crazy prices. At the most, my cost and anything beyond my cost I’d have trouble sleeping. Look at Skydio, bet many of those that paid these marked up prices on eBay regret it now.

Those that are looking to get a SmartController, might as well go with the new SC V2 and Evo 2 V2 package. May cost you a few hundred bucks more than theses crazy prices for a used SC V1, at least you’re getting a new model with warranty and help out our distributors.
I'm fine with extended cost when there's actual rarity, uniqueness or something else to push the price up. But for electronics? In a game where the next version is always right around the corner and support for older versions is always in question. If the point is to fly which is my point, it just doesn't make any sense. Maybe if you're a collector. Then you're buying for a different reason.

Just curious, why do people believe the V1 Smart Controller is worth twice retail? Sure they only made a few, but the V2 is on the way, and it's dual channel instead of single channel, it's Blue Certified, and it has the potential to be viable for more than a month like V1...

All kidding aside, seriously. Why is the V1 worth twice it's retail? There's absolutely nothing special about it, and it's already obsolesced. I own a refurbished V1 Evo II Pro, and I just can't see spending more than retail on something that will only ever work with this version. I guess we'll see how this all shakes out. But my guess is that in the next 6-months or so, definitely in the time frame of the next version launch... they'll be more than a few of these going up for sale, for a lot less than retail.

I understand supply and demand, but is there really that big of demand for the V1 smart controllers?

There's one on ebay here: Autel Smart Controller - EVO 2 6K / 8K - V1 / Only 500 alloted to USA | eBay

And There's the one from the post above, the owner of which I've chatted with in another forum here on AutelPilots, with the same result as the ebay seller... Both are 100% sure they're sitting on a nice golden nugget.

I just don't understand the thinking.
I agree, don’t understand why sell SC V1 so high especially its only been out 2-3 months. A person can order a new SC V2 and Evo 2 V2 for about $3000, Maybe less maybe more and from an Autel distributor backed with support. Buying a used SC V1 between $2000-2500 is crazy, support won’t be there from the seller if something goes wrong.

Reactions: G_G
I'm fine with extended cost when there's actual rarity, uniqueness or something else to push the price up. But for electronics? In a game where the next version is always right around the corner and support for older versions is always in question. If the point is to fly which is my point, it just doesn't make any sense. Maybe if you're a collector. Then you're buying for a different reason.
ive sold a RTX 3070 for 1300 a few months ago so. also you have to remember even tho Autel is making V2 models doesnt mean there is enough to go around with chip shortage...... Now im going to BB to buy a 3080Ti and resell it for 2,000

ive sold a RTX 3070 for 1300 a few months ago so. also you have to remember even tho Autel is making V2 models doesnt mean there is enough to go around with chip shortage...... Now im going to BB to buy a 3080Ti and resell it for 2,000
Day trading in Nvidia hard goods. Have fun.

maybe the asking price for the v1 sc will come down once people starting getting v2 sc in hand.
Could be, I mean I'm personally in no rush, just curious about the smart controller in general. Its fricken huge and my current case setup wouldn't store it, Plus the Autel Explorer app is not quite baked yet, so wouldn't really matter where it ran, it'd still be buggy and rough around the edges.

Reactions: G_G
Could be, I mean I'm personally in no rush, just curious about the smart controller in general. Its fricken huge and my current case setup wouldn't store it, Plus the Autel Explorer app is not quite baked yet, so wouldn't really matter where it ran, it'd still be buggy and rough around the edges.
ive had no crashes on scv1 app is stable from all the times ive used it

ive had no crashes on scv1 app is stable from all the times ive used it
Nor me, but crashes aren't the only thing that qualifies as a bug.
I've had issues with, zoom, settings persistence, and long lags in reaction.

These issues may be unique to my setup, but may not. Most issues seem to stem from a lack of the app to properly communicate with the remote and or the airframe.
Which is fine, this tech is overall new and the company starting out, so this kind of thing is to be expected, but it's still annoying and makes me not want to proceed faster than the refinements which will eventually come, or not. either way, it works well enough to allow pictures like this... so I'm good for now.

View attachment MAX_0042-Pano.jpg

Sane thing why a person buys a RTX 3090 and resells it for $2,500 to $3,000 supply and demand. also have you noticed people are not selling their SCV1 because they are rare and those that own it dont plan on buy a V2
I ordered and received two of the Autel SC V1's from different vendors, and returned both of them, after discovering that the range was no better than the stock RC, and that the range also could not be improved by attaching amped external antennas. The physical size is huge and extremely heavy, for the same visible screen size as an iPad Mini, at 4x the price and 4x the weight! Screen was brighter. However, that's not why I ordered it.

If you couldn't get one, consider yourself lucky. It was a grossly overhyped brick. The V2 might have better range with actual dual band, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Autel Robotics claimed 8 miles for the SC V1! LOL! OcuSync 3.0 already runs circles around Autel's ancient wifi communication, unless GEO limits you. I bought an Alientech Pro amped antenna for the EVO 2 and a full sized iPad, and can now use it with both the EVO 2 and the original EVO. Confirmed range is now 4.2 miles with no loss of video or signal, instead of 1.5 miles max. Total cost, including the full sized iPad, a GPC Tablet Mount, Alientech Pro amped antenna, and EVO 2 RC professional mod came to $780. Very happy. It actually substantially improves the stock range, in areas where GEO interferes!

maybe the asking price for the v1 sc will come down once people starting getting v2 sc in hand.
Prices on all RC's also drop once enough owners crash their aircrafts, leaving only the RC/SC behind, when they decide not to replace the aircraft. Anyone with an EVO 2 V1 that bought the SC V1 will be left holding the bag when they crash their EVO-2 V1. Unless they buy a used EVO 2 V1 to replace it, after Autel has exhausted their remaining limited supply, if they haven't already, the only other alternative will be to buy the EVO 2 V2 and an SC V2, leaving the SC V1 to be sold off cheaply. If the SC V1 actually delivered on the promised 8 mile range, it would have been worth having. However, an Alientech Pro antenna mod to any EVO 2 stock controller is a far better and cheaper solution for range and signal stability issues.

If you think that the Autel Pilot storefront (which has no affiliation with Autelpilots forum), is the official website for Autel Robotics, USA; you made little effort to perform any due diligence. They do have a slickly designed website, but there is no indication that it is an official website of Autel... to the contrary, their product listing pages specify that they are an "Authorized Distributor". The only available payment method being PayPal, is definitely a red flag.

View attachment 11398

Autel Robotics official website is at

Autel Drones (dot) com

which has all sorts of clues that this is the actual Autel website... from the official Autel logo being on the site, to showing the ability to take virtually any credit card... not just PayPal. You were never dealing with Autel Robotics to begin with.
Ironical thing is that this is the place that leaked the Smart Controller Powerpoint slide deck, which then went viral

Prices on all RC's also drop once enough owners crash their aircrafts, leaving only the RC/SC behind, when they decide not to replace the aircraft. Anyone with an EVO 2 V1 that bought the SC V1 will be left holding the bag when they crash their EVO-2 V1. Unless they buy a used EVO 2 V1 to replace it, after Autel has exhausted their remaining limited supply, if they haven't already, the only other alternative will be to buy the EVO 2 V2 and an SC V2, leaving the SC V1 to be sold off cheaply. If the SC V1 actually delivered on the promised 8 mile range, it would have been worth having. However, an Alientech Pro antenna mod to any EVO 2 stock controller is a far better and cheaper solution for range and signal stability issues.
Interesting... how do you store your controller after the mod... makes it a lot bigger no?

Ironical thing is that this is the place that leaked the Smart Controller Powerpoint slide deck, which then went viral

My biggest issue with that company is, this member's experience exactly. Taking advantage of our members who under a mistaken impression... that because of a non-existant relationship with this board, the storefront and operators are given validity that is not deserved.

We recommend many dealers that advertise on this board... and several have proven to be reputable and a pleasure to deal with. Is it really worth the couple of hundred (or less) dollars difference? 🤔

My biggest issue with that company is, this member's experience exactly. Taking advantage of our members who under a mistaken impression... that because of a non-existant relationship with this board, the storefront and operators are given validity that is not deserved.

We recommend many dealers that advertise on this board... and several have proven to be reputable and a pleasure to deal with. Is it really worth the couple of hundred (or less) dollars difference? 🤔
A almost got nabbed by autelpilot.com but I looked at the authorized dealer list on the official Autel Robotics site: EVO II Authorized Dealers

Interesting... how do you store your controller after the mod... makes it a lot bigger no?
The size of the controller doesn't change. It actually becomes a little smaller because the fragile stock antennas are removed and replaced with snap-on connectors. The Alientech Pro snaps onto the new snap-on connectors and can be stored separately, and is about the same size as the EVO 2 controller. Price shown includes the Alientech Pro antenna and professional installation of the new snap-on connectors onto your EVO 2 remote, or you can buy an already modded new EVO 2 remote instead, leaving your original remote intact. No affiliation. Just a happy customer!
06D37265-0E3D-4672-B433-7666C9A63E8C.jpegCE5218F0-B0A7-4EFE-9BFF-B91D347DD005.jpeg327C5896-5CCE-4C9E-B0B5-4AE7B82B5393.jpeg

Last edited:
Is there a range test video of this? I've looked and have not found one.
It looks very interesting... and it's powered yes? Batteries?

Is there a range test video of this? I've looked and have not found one.
It looks very interesting... and it's powered yes? Batteries?
I've personally range tested the Alientech Pro myself on my stock EVO 2 controller. Range is roughly tripled over the stock controller and over the Smart Controller V1, even with external amped antenna panels attached to the SC! My first two tests of the Alientech Pro on the EVO 2 stock controller never lost video or control at up to 4.2 miles away, when remaining battery compelled a return, while the stock RC and the SC both lose video and signal at less than 1.5 miles in the exact same area at the same elevation.

Alientech Pro is powered by 2 internal LiPo batteries that are removed for charging in the included charger, with an included micro USB charging cable.

There is a larger dual band version of the Alientech Pro available as well, but no need for it on the EVO 2 V1, which only supports 2.4Ghz on public FW.

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ranga