Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Sharpest f-stop?

parkgt

Reaction score
I have seen several post that f5.6 was the sweet spot for the E2P. I did a number of tests in both 6k and 4k looking at the images side by side on a 24" 4k monitor and found that not to true for my particular camera.

Have others that have actually run tests found f5.6 to be the sharpest?

I have not run any tests, what f-stop was sharpest for you?

General rule of thumb is two stops up from wide open but that is just a starting point.

I have not run any tests, what f-stop was sharpest for you?

General rule of thumb is two stops up from wide open but that is just a starting point.

Good assumption! Things get bad fast above f8, making another reason to get NDs to run in manual holding close to the 180 rule while being in the sweet zone

For me the range of f2.8-f4.0 looks the sharpest. I compared photos zoomed to 400%. I could not observe big difference between f2.8 and f4.0, but if I have to choose, I would say f2.8, my wife however claims f4.0 is sharper ;-)

For me the range of f2.8-f4.0 looks the sharpest. I compared photos zoomed to 400%. I could not observe big difference between f2.8 and f4.0, but if I have to choose, I would say f2.8, my wife however claims f4.0 is sharper ;-)
I think your wife has a good eye!

• Haha
Reactions: Andrzej
This is only indirectly related but I will ask anyway. I just received my eight pack of freewell ND filters. I'm not sure when to use the normal filters vs the hybrid polarized filters. Any advice? Why wouldn't I just use the hybrid all the time since they apparently cover both bases? Thanks! If I need to post this in another thread I understand.

Reactions: bseasmd
I use the Polarizer when shooting over water, unless I want a lot of sparkle and some glare is acceptable. But I also use them shooting fall foliage, when there is actually glare that you may not be aware of. A polarizer also
will accentuate colors so perfect for this use. When I am shooting video I will use the ND to get my shutter speed double the frame rate at my preferred f-stop. So shooting stills I either use a Polarizer or no filter at all.

Reactions: tvwxman
just f4 to f5 ; ISO100; white balance 5000
is good
My tests showed down to f3.2 up to f5 as very good with f4 being the sharpest. There may be some variation in cameras. I shoot at 5600 much of the time but can adjust in post when desired.

Reactions: Kalamidad
This is very interesting to read, I've found sharp imagery and video from 2.8 to 11.0 on my bird! I shoot homes in the $20M+ range, and clarity is key.

The one gripe I have is chromatic aberration. I cannot take a pic with this bird without it being a thing.

Probably different per unit, I did a comparison looking at a fencing panel and found the sweet spot, for me anything below 5.6 is alarmingly soft on the right hand side.
Did you return it? mine is doing the exact same things as yours. I'm returning mine and I'm on my third one.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy